• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Man oh man... my tongue is on the floor! Most of these cretians have no idea what they have just witnessed.  Amazing collection of only the best of the best. I'm obviously a toy guy too so I get it. I've been selling off a lot because I need to down size. Sold all my Marx playsets except for two space ones.

And, a MAD Straightjacket  (worship)  I have collected MAD stuff my whole life and never had one. I think the only authorized MAD piece I've never had.

I bow at your feet!

Thanks!! I actually only showed a small portion of my collection. You have a fabulous Alfred E. Neuman collection. I posted an old photo of my MAD collectibles because I now have the Barry Alfred E. Neuman too.

IMG_0988.JPG

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

And, a MAD Straightjacket  (worship)  I have collected MAD stuff my whole life and never had one.

.... and after surviving the 60's and 70's, you probably NEED one :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

13 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

Thanks!! I actually only showed a small portion of my collection. You have a fabulous Alfred E. Neuman collection. I posted an old photo of my MAD collectibles because I now have the Barry Alfred E. Neuman too.

IMG_0988.JPG

Do you have any of the jewelry? Still missing a couple of those too. 

On 12/2/2018 at 9:28 AM, Ghastly542454 said:

I collect all kinds of vintage toys from the 50’s and 60’s. My main focus is Marx, Archer, and Ideal playsets, monster toys, Aurora models, Captain Action, and a lot more.

9411EB6B-7995-40C0-9DDD-CF43C588A5E1.jpeg

I am almost certain that I had the Creatures of the Sea set when I was a kid. As soon as I saw the picture of the Manta Ray in the top right of that box an instant feeling of familiarity hit me, if that's the proper way to say it. Would this set have been out in the 60's? Quite a treat to see all of these. Some I've heard of, others were new to me.

20 minutes ago, ThreeSeas said:

I am almost certain that I had the Creatures of the Sea set when I was a kid. As soon as I saw the picture of the Manta Ray in the top right of that box an instant feeling of familiarity hit me, if that's the proper way to say it. Would this set have been out in the 60's? Quite a treat to see all of these. Some I've heard of, others were new to me.

Yes the MPC Creatures Of The Seas was released in 1964 or 65.

18 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Man oh man... my tongue is on the floor! Most of these cretians have no idea what they have just witnessed.  Amazing collection of only the best of the best. I'm obviously a toy guy too so I get it. I've been selling off a lot because I need to down size. Sold all my Marx playsets except for two space ones.

And, a MAD Straightjacket  (worship)  I have collected MAD stuff my whole life and never had one. I think the only authorized MAD piece I've never had.

I bow at your feet!

While I'm not sure what a "cretian" is, of course I get it. What's not to get? Very nice taste in toys and I love the Marx playsets, but perhaps the best to me are Aurora kits, and thus, the Big Frankie box with builtup. Of course Big Frankie has been recreated and is available for builders again, but a nice original box is a toughie. :)

On 12/2/2018 at 8:28 AM, Ghastly542454 said:

I collect all kinds of vintage toys from the 50’s and 60’s. My main focus is Marx, Archer, and Ideal playsets, monster toys, Aurora models, Captain Action, and a lot more.

DA3DBCB2-1494-44D9-9D6F-E874B942AAC1.jpeg

26B0A34C-B53E-4996-8C21-73689EC8FB40.jpeg

D35C3FDA-75C5-47D9-B0CF-A5054D6168FA.jpeg

29CC62F3-5B5B-4787-A459-1E3757579BA6.jpeg

9E9D3223-BF9E-4DDE-B7F1-13CF912A46B8.jpeg

3BF146C8-ED1C-4E1E-B6D4-CA8D1DED96AD.jpeg

Truly a "holy cr@p" experience seeing this much quality this well photographed and presented. I will undoubtedly refer back to the post many, many times to drink deep of this delicious nectar. Thanks!! :cloud9:

On 12/2/2018 at 6:31 PM, Robot Man said:

Here is some of my MAD stuff. I really like the pre-MAD Alfred pieces. So many weird things dating back to 1896. Many, probably one of a kind or damn near. Always popping up in the weirdest places...

alfredeneumanpaperweight1.jpg

Great assortment of goodies as usual, Robot Man, and a admirable rebuttal to Ghastly's mind-blowing post. There was a cigar box too - Billy O'Riley, I think - in the same vein. I don't own one, but I know I have a pic somewhere... :shy:

Wasn’t trying to upstage Ghastly. His stuff is mind blowing. He just got me excited with that straight jacket. Thought I’d show the preMAD stuff since most people never see that stuff. That paperweight is the oldest piece in my collection from 1896. A lucky antique store find!

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Wasn’t trying to upstage Ghastly. His stuff is mind blowing. He just got me excited with that straight jacket. Thought I’d show the preMAD stuff since most people never see that stuff. That paperweight is the oldest piece in my collection from 1896. A lucky antique store find!

Oh, I didn't think you were trying to upstage him at all. His "junkpile" appears epic just like yours. Just two passionate and accomplished collectors sharing their goodness. Now if Malcolm Forbes was still around and threw his Marklins into the fray, we might have a different story. Still, though, I think I prefer Mortimer Snerd to lead soldiers, but I digress.

Speaking of the pre-Mad stuff, is the origin of that Alfred-prototype known and agreed upon or mired in uncertainty? I mean, even Uncle Sam himself as a symbol has a few different versions, so I'm guessing it's no different. 

I and other MAD collectors have been able to trace him back as far as 1896. His image and "Me Worry" have been used on everything from advertising to political the whole 20th century. He was used a lot by FDR during his campaign. You never know where and on what he will turn up on. I probably have 200 images of him in my collection all before MAD. MAD "adopted" him around 1955 and later copyrighted his image. Kelly Freas and later Norman Mingo refined him to what he is today. Part of what makes it so fun to collect is the shear amount of appearances he has made in the last century. 

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I and other MAD collectors have been able to trace him back as far as 1896. His image and "Me Worry" have been used on everything from advertising to political the whole 20th century. He was used a lot by FDR during his campaign. You never know where and on what he will turn up on. I probably have 200 images of him in my collection all before MAD. MAD "adopted" him around 1955 and later copyrighted his image. Kelly Freas and later Norman Mingo refined him to what he is today. Part of what makes it so fun to collect is the shear amount of appearances he has made in the last century. 

I don't know if this qualifies, as it's a touch more - dare I say - grotesque in its rendering:

47787658.4a80ea7a.800.jpg

Oh, that qualifies for sure Pop. Like I said, pre-MAD Alfred stuff just keeps turning up all the time I've never seen. That's a beauty and probably also turn of the century. The two biggest MAD collectors I know are Jim Halperin and Grant Geissman (the author of all the EC, MAD, Feldstein books). And, neither of them have as much pre-MAD Alfred stuff. Grant's collection especially of EC and MAD art is just jaw dropping. On the walls in every room is "that".