• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I wouldn't say I actualy "collect" them but have run into about a dozen or so in my travels and hung on to them. Most of the time I just flip them. I still have my original Munsters from when I was a kid. Found it in the basement when my parents sold our house. I picked it up and it was heavy. It was full of Mars Attacks and my monster gum cards!

munsterslunchbox1.jpg

munsterslunchbox2.jpg

munsterslunchbox3.jpg

I'd LOVE one of those if the price was right!

Thanks for the name of the company,it'll make hunting a thermos down easier.I'd more like to complete it for my uncle(a Bob btw!)I think that would really make him smile.

He dropped off all the things he had from his dad,my grandfather I never met to me some time back-a lot of Royal Navy stuff,even gramps ship in a bottle,so I'm worried he's down,concerned with his health.Made me think he may be depressed,getting rid of his most sentimental things.

So,I now have a bit more HMCS items in my collection.This was from the Destroyer HMCS Crescent

89910831_200262677918541_842093810862260

Real heavy,rough material,unlike any other flags I have,have handled.

89831110_200262944585181_329350960408795

Edited by porcupine48

10 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I'd LOVE one of those if the price was right!

Thanks for the name of the company,it'll make hunting a thermos down easier.I'd more like to complete it for my uncle(a Bob btw!)I think that would really make him smile.

He dropped off all the things he had from his dad,my grandfather I never met to me some time back-a lot of Royal Navy stuff,even gramps ship in a bottle,so I'm worried he's down,concerned with his health.Made me think he may be depressed,getting rid of his most sentimental things.

So,I now have a bit more HMCS items in my collection.This was from the Destroyer HMCS Crescent

89910831_200262677918541_842093810862260

Real heavy,rough material,unlike any other flags I have,have handled.

89831110_200262944585181_329350960408795

That is real cool Jimmers. Probably made of heavy canvas to hold up to the rigors of the sea. WWII era? He probably wants someone who will take care of it and pass on the legacy. I'd be hanging it up.

I found this regiment signed WWII Japanese flag at an estate sale once.

japflag1.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

36 minutes ago, atomised said:

That's the best 52 Mantle I've seen in that grade.  Really nice centering and color. 

1 hour ago, Comical Situations said:

My other collection much smaller scale than comics, and takes up MUCH less room.

20200324_202151.jpg

20200324_202252.jpg

20200324_202322.jpg

20200324_211116.jpg

How is that Mantle only a 1.5? Is the back sandpapered away? Great collection there!

3 hours ago, Comical Situations said:

My other collection much smaller scale than comics, and takes up MUCH less room.

Amazing cards, Comical! I know I should ooze more about the 52 Topps Mantle, but the Sport Kings Ruth and Turkey Red Cobb have been favorites of mine since before Barry Halper's cards used to be featured in the color sections of early Becketts. Outstanding stuff.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Comical Situations said:

Thank you...I thought so too.  Most of these low grade ones are beat to hell but this one survived with relatively little damage.  Kind of my card grail.

1.5’s can look decent but I think from your picture yours leans closer to a 2.0 (see examples below). I know what 1.5’s fetch so did you get it for a 1.5 price or did you pay at bit of a premium for it’s good looks? There can be a 4-8k difference in prices going from a 1.5 to 2.0 for those interested...

FC724848-D1CD-4A0C-AEAD-F1760C17F4CB.png.bb838d1bf717ba627dfbf3b79b7634ea.pngE5567F4C-1487-4BF7-B20A-122AED9081F8.png.88efb839c2a703789e48ce9a0a1ff3c4.png

6 hours ago, N e r V said:

1.5’s can look decent but I think from your picture yours leans closer to a 2.0 (see examples below). I know what 1.5’s fetch so did you get it for a 1.5 price or did you pay at bit of a premium for it’s good looks? There can be a 4-8k difference in prices going from a 1.5 to 2.0 for those interested...

FC724848-D1CD-4A0C-AEAD-F1760C17F4CB.png.bb838d1bf717ba627dfbf3b79b7634ea.pngE5567F4C-1487-4BF7-B20A-122AED9081F8.png.88efb839c2a703789e48ce9a0a1ff3c4.png

Yes, it's definitely more in line with a 2.0 but that was already factored into the price.  This was definitely a case of buy the card not the grade and I paid as such. :flipbait:

1 hour ago, Comical Situations said:

Yes, it's definitely more in line with a 2.0 but that was already factored into the price.  This was definitely a case of buy the card not the grade and I paid as such. :flipbait:

Just like comics. Either way it looks very nice for the grade and a great card to own. 

I don't collect cards per sey but I know good ones when I see 'em. I'm amazed at how much more strict cards seem to grade than comics. I guess a lot less factors to worry about. I really like the pre-war cards. I love the design, colors and look of them almost as much as I appreciate the players. I found these in a cigar box a couple months ago for $2. at a flea market. A caramel candy giveaway. No big deal, but thought they were fun...

caramelbbcardlot.jpg

One of my more 'unique' Looney Tunes items is this pendant. So there is something called "Show Business Shrine Club",  started in 1958. It's a charity of sorts and has boasted such icons as John Wayne and Roy Rogers as two of many rotated Presidents of the club over the years. Mel Blanc, voice of Bugs Bunny and other legendary Looney Tunes characters (and well as Barney Rubble of The Flinstones), also served as Club President for a term. 

This is a pendant marking his tenure as club President. I assume it was his personally ( I won this from a Hollywood charity auction, and though it wasn't listed as such, I don't believe all members would get a pendant with the current serving President on it). Either way, it is a prized piece in that subset of my collection. What makes it more special is that his most significant contribution to the culture is pictured on his pendant :cloud9:.  The chain was missing, but no matter, the heart of the piece is still there. Wonder what other stars had on their pendants as a calling card?

I have included the clubs Facebook bio for reference, which also lists some other club members/Presidents. 

Glad to have the Boards around during this time. Ok, now to tackle another long put off house project for a little bit. 

IMG_4840 (1).JPG

Shriners facebook page.jpg