• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
17 17

1,545 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2021 at 12:27 AM, Albert Thurgood said:

I collect antique rugs. Luckily I have ran out of floor space so can't buy any more, so I am filling up gaps in my EC and SA collections.

They have a history going back over 2,000 years. There are over 10,000 recognizable styles - so more than there are comic book titles. Like comics, they are also ephemeral. They are hand-made and are made anywhere from nomad's tents to city manufactuaries.

Here is the last one I bought. It is at least 140 years old, and of a design I have never seen in any book or museum.

This is what it looks like - it is bigger than it looks: 11' x 5'5". The dealer likes it so much, he still has it on his web site:

image.png.24f4c571736239624fe47be384b38268.png

You could just imagine that in a palace painting by Frazetta (eg Eerie 23) or Barry Windsor-Smith, who is a big fan of the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood, who flourished about the time this was made.

I knew a doctor who was WAY into this hobby, and it is  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  :flipbait:

On 2/13/2021 at 12:27 AM, Albert Thurgood said:

I collect antique rugs. Luckily I have ran out of floor space so can't buy any more, so I am filling up gaps in my EC and SA collections.

They have a history going back over 2,000 years. There are over 10,000 recognizable styles - so more than there are comic book titles. Like comics, they are also ephemeral. They are hand-made and are made anywhere from nomad's tents to city manufactuaries.

Here is the last one I bought. It is at least 140 years old, and of a design I have never seen in any book or museum.

This is what it looks like - it is bigger than it looks: 11' x 5'5". The dealer likes it so much, he still has it on his web site:

image.png.24f4c571736239624fe47be384b38268.png

You could just imagine that in a palace painting by Frazetta (eg Eerie 23) or Barry Windsor-Smith, who is a big fan of the Pre-Raphaelite brotherhood, who flourished about the time this was made.

....and beautiful piece by the way, really a work of art --- have you ever been to the Vatican and seen the examples there ?! Stunning ....

58 minutes ago, Jayman said:

Not really collecting related but saw nowhere else to post this. When the mood strikes me I like to build something. My stepdaughter asked me to build a bookcase for my 7 yr old grandson. My only guides were she wanted it to be made of barnwood with metal accents and he wanted a secret compartment. Just finished and delivered today.

3B558123-221F-4E05-B42A-33BFEF318DB3.jpeg

128674EE-37DC-401B-BA9F-14BDA7EFD5E0.jpeg

244A17D6-6ACF-465F-AD24-BC043C1AA5EF.jpeg

E85C3323-5A53-4CE4-BB1C-9E513AF732A6.jpeg

5FC4FB1F-8B17-432D-B125-3ABFE1378DD7.jpeg

FAFA7628-4AB8-4B12-921D-AFCC2A1D441E.jpeg

That is a fantasy piece for a 7 year old.  Nothing cooler than a secret compartment.

29 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

I collect 1970s/1980s race bikes. It was the golden age of steel bikes. This arrived yesterday. It is dirty and in need of some attention, but it will clean up nicely. For those that don't know, Greg Lemond was the first and only American to win the Tour de France. His first win was in 1986 and the next year he launched his own bike line. The bike pictured below was one of the first pre-production bikes used to promote the brand. The "DS" stamp on the bottom bracket notes that it was hand-built by Roland Della Santa. Just months prior, Della Santa would have built the bike that Greg Lemond rode in the Tour de France. I've been looking for one of these for a few years. Lucky to find one in my size.

1709721816_LemondPro01.thumb.jpg.821502aa2fbda7556affc66c6cdfa18c.jpg

1875174145_LemondPro03.thumb.jpg.4ed1b1a337f748e09aaf22794a32e8e0.jpg

That's cool.  Stupid question:  will you ride it, or is the pleasure in owning it?

27 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That's cool.  Stupid question:  will you ride it, or is the pleasure in owning it?

It is not a stupid question as some do not ride what they collect. Although I do display some of my bikes in my office, I buy them to ride. This one will definitely be ridden.

Edited by Shrevvy

If you let me, I can geek out on bikes just as easily as comic books. The builders are the equivalent to artists in comic books. My tastes run to high-end America, Italian and Japanese builders. France, Britain, Spain (I'm tempted to delve in here), Canada and others all had their top craftsmen as well.  

This is a 1977 Trek TX900. It was the top of line race bike from Trek at the time. It was offered as a frame only and the customer would build the bike. This was completed as a frame up build a couple weeks ago. The pic is just before a shake down ride and final adjustments to saddle, bars, etc. Trek is a corporate behemoth today, but in 1977 it was an American upstart trying to compete with the Europeans. It was a handful of guys hand building bikes out of a barn. There is a mystique to these bikes. I own several bikes built by Trek alumni. This bike rides fantastic, by the way.

1651412113_TrekTX900.thumb.jpg.73882e21eb7e98e9daeba08bcfdc60c8.jpg

I have two Huffys and one Murray. Both brands are known as low-end department store bikes, but they both sponsored the first American professional team to compete in Europe. The bikes were built by high-end builders, but carried the sponsor's brands. This is an actual team 7-11 bike. I don't know which rider unfortunately. You can see the number hanger on the top tube where a race number would have been fixed. This bike was built by Ben Serotta. Serotta built the bikes for the 1984 US Olympic team as well as team 7-11. Fastest Huffy you can own...

Huffy.thumb.jpg.36549e1051f3a7467c1e2bb8dcce4e0d.jpg