• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,549 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Yes they were. An AMAZING original owner collection from a 6"x9" spiral bound book.  

I couldn't find it. Any keywords that you recall to narrow the search?

By the way, I like how the 'Bay corrects you when you write "Segar" and it searches for "sugar." Defiant little cyber-demons!  :devil:

5 minutes ago, GoldCap said:

Thanks!  Here's a view of the back.

SCDrear.thumb.jpg.df48d6c58d48004838b324e4914d1bd8.jpg

Very cool. Entrenched pols from both sides of the aisle would do well to heed the motto on the Lincoln reverse... that whole BY the people, FOR the people nuisance n all.

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Nice group, RM. I would've kept them all! The beer lot above has some standouts for sure - the Apache, the Hamms/Old Derby, and the Tivoli. Great stuff!

There were two of each one. I kept one of each one I wanted and sold the rest. I put a lot on the bay. The Apache beer one sold for the most at $175. I was a little surprised. 

Just now, Robot Man said:

There were two of each one. I kept one of each one I wanted and sold the rest. I put a lot on the bay. The Apache beer one sold for the most at $175. I was a little surprised. 

Killer cover, but yes, that IS a little surprising! Big-time crossover interest in breweriana, though. One cover I have never found (unfortunately) is the Blue Coal featuring a certain pulp hero...

I also collect postcards and especially souvenir postcard folders. They fly under the radar even among postcard collectors and since I like almost anything to do with roadside America, I can't resist!

35294667.8fa5e446.1024.jpg

You've got some nice ones Pop! They are usually very cheap "out in the wild". Usually $1.-$5. Very easy to resell for a tidy profit. 

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

The Apache beer one sold for the most at $175. I was a little surprised. 

And kudos to the sellers who score like that as well as the buyers who are happy to find an elusive item, but I recall you writing once about you swimming in the middle of the pool (I think you're being modest!): well, I swim in the shallow end. I can't imagine shelling out that sort of dough for something like that. I can buy several shoe boxes of covers in the wild for that and have plenty more fun going thru them. Different strokes, I guess.

2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Killer cover, but yes, that IS a little surprising! Big-time crossover interest in breweriana, though. One cover I have never found (unfortunately) is the Blue Coal featuring a certain pulp hero...

That one was actually too late for this bunch. I do have several different of that character including the pop out jail one. I can't post them from here but will when I get the chance if you want.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

That one was actually too late for this bunch. I do have several different of that character including the pop out jail one. I can't post them from here but will when I get the chance if you want.

J-E-A-L-O-U-S!!

But as I wrote above, I'm sort of a cheap-@ss, so I'll probably never own an example if I stubbornly insist in finding it in a box...

1 minute ago, PopKulture said:

And kudos to the sellers who score like that as well as the buyers who are happy to find an elusive item, but I recall you writing once about you swimming in the middle of the pool (I think you're being modest!): well, I swim in the shallow end. I can't imagine shelling out that sort of dough for something like that. I can buy several shoe boxes of covers in the wild for that and have plenty more fun going thru them. Different strokes, I guess.

I wouldn't either. I don't collect them. I would pay a couple hundred for 2,000 of them though. I'm sure the guy that bought it wouldn't pay squat for an old funny book. Many of them sold in the $20. to $65. each. As I said, I was surprised. I learned a lot about them.

Just now, Robot Man said:

I wouldn't either. I don't collect them. I would pay a couple hundred for 2,000 of them though. I'm sure the guy that bought it wouldn't pay squat for an old funny book. Many of them sold in the $20. to $65. each. As I said, I was surprised. I learned a lot about them.

Yikers. It's not something I keep up with over on the 'Bay. I will tell my wife not to throw them out when I'm put out to pasture.

I like getting a run of covers from a certain geographic area that reflects a family vacation or relative collecting locally. Night clubs are especially cool - Stork Club, Pago Pago, Café Society...

14 hours ago, EBE said:

I have collected antique swords since the early 1970s.

Here's photos of a couple of them - the first is German, ca. 1580-1620.

The next two are of an English "Mortuary" sword, ca. 1650.

The last two are of an English cavalry officer's sword, ca. 1780

411.jpg

IMG_2841.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

acorn1.jpg

acorn2.jpg

very nice!  I'm not a collector but I have an 18th century Italian broadsword.  I think Sahagom labeled blade with the running wolf mark might point to a much earlier time on the blade itself.

IMG_1544.JPG

7 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Yikers. It's not something I keep up with over on the 'Bay. I will tell my wife not to throw them out when I'm put out to pasture.

I like getting a run of covers from a certain geographic area that reflects a family vacation or relative collecting locally. Night clubs are especially cool - Stork Club, Pago Pago, Café Society...

I had a bunch of those too and still might. I will have to see if I can dig out that  box. 

7 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

I like old lavishly illustrated editions of selected classics. Here are plates from 3 prime examples:

Mario Laboccetta from ‘Tales of Hoffman’ 1932, Paul Woodroffe from ‘The Tempest’ 1908, & Robert Diaz de Soria from Flaubert’s ‘Three Tales’ 1923.

ig346.jpg

Those are quite striking, with the middle example being my favorite.

I have a lot of popular American editions with plates by Wyeth, Rhead, Schoonover, etc. Most of them are aimed at younger readers.

How far back do you like to venture as far as brochures go? I am by no means a completist, and I've collected (mostly traded for) examples from every decade:

35377705.fb63f015.800.jpg

I only go back to the fifties.   Anything with tiny flippers or no flippers did not really attract my attention.  So guys could really nudge or shake the non-flipper or no flipper machines, but I was terrible on those.

I remember going to a bar during lunch hour with my late friend during the eighties.  He started playing one of those bingo machines and racked up a number of free games.  A large sign above the machine stated "No Gambling Allowed."    My friend walked over to the bartender, who promptly paid him off.  What a hoot!

1 minute ago, BitterOldMan said:

I only go back to the fifties.   Anything with tiny flippers or no flippers did not really attract my attention.  So guys could really nudge or shake the non-flipper or no flipper machines, but I was terrible on those.

I remember going to a bar during lunch hour with my late friend during the eighties.  He started playing one of those bingo machines and racked up a number of free games.  A large sign above the machine stated "No Gambling Allowed."    My friend walked over to the bartender, who promptly paid him off.  What a hoot!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a few pre-flipper pins that I can't let go of because they're so durn pretty, but they are boring to play. The small flipper ones I can deal with.

It's been a loooonnnggg time since I've seen a bingo on location. I have a couple like Coney Island and Big Show but they are horrible to work on. They have these stacks of wiper discs and scanning units to mechanically analyze all those number combinations and the cloth-insulated wires are always faded so it's often useless even if you have a schematic. They look really, really cool though!

this is a kick- thread going here.  I collected French royal memorabilia from the 16th century through the revolution then I finally gave it a rest, probably because I started to get into CGC books.  The historical french documents were just so super niche and took months to clear French customs in some cases.  Pic is a flintlock pistol from the second half of the 18th century and a page from a larger folio from Louis XV from 1716 so very early in the reign and probably signed for him by someone in the cabinet or a secretary. Certainly BRITTLE PAGES. 

FullSizeRender (14).jpg

Edited by atomised

This was an unintentional purchase from Ebay a few years back, just cuz it was pretty cool.  The back story was this was from an estate sale from a long time editor of a newspaper in Orange, CA.  I have found pics of others out there in the world so they were produced for some reason.  The base is obviously made to accommodate a plaque of some sort, and others I have seen have a glue stain there where something was attached.  It is very akin to a very early Buck Rogers that I must assume it has something to do with.  So that character and journalism for some type of award?  

Buck back.jpg

Buck front.jpg