• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What else do you collect??
18 18

1,549 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Nah, the postcards were cribbed online. I am French and only came to the US later in life. I was reading the Yoko Tsuno's as they were released ... and they still are but they garner far less interest they once did as things are wont to do ...

Ah, so you translated the titles on the fly? But does an english language version exist?

What do you mean by “as things are wont to do”?

As for English versions: according to Bedetheque, there was some reprints in the US / Canada in the late '80's - https://www.bedetheque.com/BD-Yoko-Tsuno-en-anglais-chez-Comcat-Comics-Tome-1-Vulcan-s-force-178744.html and now Cinebook's adaptations since 2007 - https://www.bedetheque.com/serie-18073-BD-Yoko-Tsuno-en-anglais-chez-Cinebook.html [Note: they started the series with my favorite album which must be most everyone's favorite]. The translations I simply cribbed from the Wiki list of albums - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoko_Tsuno#Albums

"As things are wont to do" meant that sadly the series does not have the following it once had. I was looking how well the most recent album, # 18, issue just this last June charted before posting to add to the statement but didn't have time to find the information.

On 12/10/2017 at 7:52 AM, Pickie said:

Comic book advertising signs and posters ...

20150920_145707.thumb.jpg.4d5b4fba828ab58b1a1fb4a91bb5566d.jpg

Introducing (?) Mickey Mouse Magazine in USA (cardboard, 1935 or 1934, assumably 1935)

1434746975467.thumb.jpg.c82153b2a8d51c195a3882dac911274f.jpg

Introducing Superman in Germany (paper poster, 1950). Unknown cover artist, any links?

Nice!

I recently got this thing, Bedrock is gonna tell me what it originally had in it:

IMG_0810.thumb.JPG.0fd6d6948961f04172cfb80d70df5dfe.JPGIMG_0809.thumb.JPG.9a9d60df8dd2e37e9e2fb9d184c2d6ff.JPG

29 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Yeah!  Interior pics please!

I just saved pic so my wife can translate.  Amazing it's survived!

I’m intentioned to scan in full and in high res all of the pages, as in the future I would love to see an italian edition of this (and many other exciting stuff I am finding).
These are the few pictures I already had from when i purchased the other softcover copy:
aGrYKPZh.jpg
QkWeRTZh.jpg
vdFcoWuh.jpg
5ILr7smh.jpg
(The last one belong to a strip Waldl was drawing in Germany at the time, but not published on "Das Schwarze Korps")

Edited by vaillant

This is a strip from "Das Schwarze Korps" in 1944:
7rdH5Roh.jpg

and a pair of the beautiful posters he did after the war, dismissed from the camp, when he set up his graphic design studio in his native Austria:
(these are found pictures, none in my possession)
1314nBz.jpg NxJnkhCl.jpg

Edited by vaillant

1 hour ago, Pickie said:

Saw this yesterday and thought I'll take pics for the romance/GGA folks.

IMG-20180105-WA0006.thumb.jpg.341c42a1330668fccb3decc2cf2fa1c0.jpg

Wonder if the sweet character design is from a comic book artist?

Two of the greatest artists to later earn recognition for their artwork during the electro-mechanical era were Roy Parker and Dave Christensen. Parker's works can be found on many Gottlieb machines from the 50's and 60's, while Christensen's work adorned Bally machines of the 70's. To my knowledge, neither ever worked in comics, but they could sure conjure memorable images featuring sexy girls - Parker often with a generous dash of humor and Christensen with a more realistic and risqué style to suit the era.

Examples: Parker - Gottlieb Dragonette, Criss Cross, Square Head, Kings and Queens. Christensen - Fireball, Wizard, Old Chicago. :cloud9:

On 1/2/2018 at 6:30 PM, Scrooge said:

Yup, unknown state-side for sure but certainly I have very well read all my albums. La Frontiere de la vie (1977) remains by far my favorite as also was The Titans (1978) and Message for Eternity (1975). The back and forth between earth-bound mysteries and out of space adventures was (is) great and the scientific underpinning of the stories like not much else around in the mainstream. Thanks for posting this :foryou:

Cinebook has published many of these in English in recent years and I have picked up at least one -- Something Something Dragons Hong Kong -- but I'll add these others to my list.  Thanks!

27 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Cinebook has published many of these in English in recent years and I have picked up at least one -- Something Something Dragons Hong Kong -- but I'll add these others to my list.  Thanks!

Found the whole series in English on Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A266239%2Ck%3Ayoko+tsuno%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A400530011&keywords=yoko+tsuno&ie=UTF8&qid=1515683185&rnid=400529011

2 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

For those which wish to get acquainted with the character starting with the first episode, it's "The curious trio" (number 7 in this english series).
Stories I remember I have read as a boy are "The three suns of Vinea", "The Dragon of Hong Kong" and "The light of Ixo"… I recall they impressed me for their unusualness, and familiarity and sense of deep mystery at the same time. Quite a unique comic…

I collect horror, sci-fi and mystery movie lobby cards and posters from the 1930s thru around 1960. Here is a most appropriate one for these boards. 11" x 14" lobby card graded by CGC. Original Realart re-release from 1953 of the 1939 SON OF FRANKENSTEIN.

son-of-frank_zpsn26gnd0v.jpg

Edited by ThatPovGuy
more info

This one from 1939 featuring Bela Lugosi as a mad scientist. The studio is Monogram. Monogram was a "Poverty Row" studio meaning it was in the poor part of Hollywood where low budget studios like Monogram, PRC and Republic resided. (Republic gave us some of the old comic book hero serials like Batman).

The term "Poverty Row" is where I get my "Pov" namer reference. Back in the day on these boards I was Povertyrow but changed it a few years back. Maybe it is time to go back to it.

Human%20Monster_zpsfrtrarfk.jpg

Edited by ThatPovGuy
more info

1 hour ago, ThatPovGuy said:

I collect horror, sci-fi and mystery movie lobby cards and posters from the 1930s thru around 1960. Here is a most appropriate one for these boards. 11" x 14" lobby card graded by CGC. Original Realart re-release from 1953 of the 1939 SON OF FRANKENSTEIN.

son-of-frank_zpsn26gnd0v.jpg

Sweet card, and I didn't even know these were being slabbed.  (thumbsu

I'd collect the classic horror, but I can't afford it, so I grab a lot of B-movie stuff from the late 40's thru the earliest 60's.

35361819.2b0eb56c.1024.jpg

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Sweet card, and I didn't even know these were being slabbed.  (thumbsu

I'd collect the classic horror, but I can't afford it, so I grab a lot of B-movie stuff from the late 40's thru the earliest 60's.

35361819.2b0eb56c.1024.jpg

Really nice group there! B movies often had the sweet posters just to draw in the crowds!