• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant's ETERNAL WARRIOR starring Dave Bautista (TBD)
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Dave Bautista In Talks For Valiant Entertainment Eternal Warrior Film

dave-bautista-eternal-warrior-1013122-64

ZPhJFh2.jpg

Fq6Ji9j.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy star Dave Bautista may have just let a big secret slip concerning his next major comic book movie role. When asked by a fan on Twitter, Bautista seems to have confirmed that he is working on a movie adaptation of the Valiant Comics character Eternal Warrior.

If that wasn't enough confirmation, Valiant's chief executive officer and chief creative officer Dinesh Shamdasani chimed in, offering a half-joking non-confirmation of what Bautista seemed to be hinting at.

Valiant has already announced a partnership with Sony Pictures to bring five movies based on Valiant Comics character to the big screen. Bloodshot and its sequel make up two of those movies, with Harbinger and its sequel making up another two. Those two series are planned to collide in the fifth film Harbinger Wars, based on one of Valiant's biggest event storylines.

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'm wondering whether the Valiant movies will get to be "shared universe" or if they'll have to be stand-alones (for the most part) from different studios. hm

Hopefully, they keep these linked in some way.

Valiant comics are definitely in a shared universe, but there hasn't been a ton of overlap between some of the characters.

For example, Eternal Warrior can have several movies without needing to overlap with other Valiant characters.  Since he's the "Eternal Warrior" he lives for thousands of years before the current Valiant timeline characters and thousands of years before the 4001A.D. Valiant timeline characters.  He has also had storylines on the "Deadside" (the world(s) of the dead, opposite of the world of the living), which could theoretically overlap with Shadowman, Dr. Mirage, Punk Mambo, Master Darque, or Ninjak (in his Deadside suit) but doesn't necessarily have to have him bumping into them in the movies... it's a big (dead) place. :grin:

For those who might be interested in the comics (and don't already know), the Eternal Warrior's name is Gilad Anni Padda (thousands of years old).  In the 20th century, he called himself Gilad Abrams.  The first comic book appearance of Eternal Warrior was Solar, Man of the Atom #10 (1992).  His second appearance was probably the single panel appearance in Rai #5 (1992) which was set in the year 4001 A.D.  He's better known for having a second full appearance in Solar #11, though.  He also appeared in Unity #0 (1992) which had a regular blue edition and a limited red edition.  After those appearances, Eternal Warrior #1 was released, which has regular, gold flat with cover price, and gold embossed without cover price.  It's tempting to think that Eternal Warrior #1 is the first appearance, but it's about fifth.

Visuals:

1105816014_300.jpg0900094010_300.jpg0146613026_300.jpg

0717515017_300.jpg0227612009_300.jpg

0137985010_300.jpg0180863006_300.jpg0129317002_300.jpg

Solar #10 was important not only for the first appearance of Eternal Warrior, but it is also the first appearance of Geomancers, a line of "speakers for the Earth" protected by the Eternal Warrior throughout the ages.  Solar #10 was also "famous" at the time for being a solid black cover (with embossed title and pricing information).  Additionally, Solar #10 was the final chapter of the Solar origin story "Alpha & Omega".  For those reasons, Solar #10 was the first Valiant comic to have a second printing, which has a Roman Numeral II embossed on the all-black cover below the pricing box.  Solar #10 second printing was released about the time of Solar #17, so it doesn't "count" as a first appearance (like some second printings which get treated like variants today). The second printing Solar #10 is a six-months later reprint of the first appearance.

Solar #10 first printing has been the toughest CGC 9.8 percentage for early Valiant books, with only about 15% of slabbed copies receiving 9.8s, compared to 30% to 50% for most other early Valiant books of similar importance.

Neither Rai #5 or Unity #0 is really collected for the Eternal Warrior appearances.  Rai #5 is primarily known as a tough-to-get-in-9.8 and tough-to-find-in-general early Valiant book (along with Rai #3 and Rai #4).  Unity #0 was a free comic (says so on the cover), first chapter of the 18-part crossover Unity. The limited red variant for Unity #0 (5,000 copies or less) was overlooked by a lot of retailers and collectors because it didn't get a lot of press like the Valiant gold variants in the early 1990s.  Speaking of the Valiant gold variants, Eternal Warrior #1 has two gold variants because the Eternal Warrior #1 gold (flat with cover price) was accidentally distributed incorrectly (as if it was just a regular issue) on the west coast.  To make up for the problem, Valiant printed the Eternal Warrior #1 gold (embossed without cover price) and distributed the embossed as originally intended.

Edited by valiantman

@valiantman Thanks for the very informative post above. I was heavily still into collecting moderns when Valiant first hit the scene and bought and read them all. Rai 3 was the only issue I missed and had to go into the back issues to find of the pre Unity issues. Back OT I hope the EW movie comes to pass as I would love to see it on the big screen. Gilad along X-O Manowar would be grand to see!

11 hours ago, Jayman said:

@valiantman Thanks for the very informative post above. I was heavily still into collecting moderns when Valiant first hit the scene and bought and read them all. Rai 3 was the only issue I missed and had to go into the back issues to find of the pre Unity issues. Back OT I hope the EW movie comes to pass as I would love to see it on the big screen. Gilad along X-O Manowar would be grand to see!

It has been my understanding that an X-O Manowar movie has always been the ultimate goal for Valiant, but they realize that making a really good X-O Manowar movie would require a lot of CGI that isn't "start-up funding" level.  So, the plan (originally) was to first make the Valiant movies which required the lowest budgets, to "get the ball rolling" and work toward the ultimate goal of a fully-developed realistic-looking X-O Manowar movie.

4 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Boom goes Solar Man Of The Atom #10!

One problem I'm seeing with the Valiant Universe (I know it's still early)...no "Thanos" or "Darkseid" to bring everybody together.

Solar 10 first printing has always been high when it comes to a 9.8 example. Then it nosedives down at the lower grades. So hopefully news like this helps bring more attention to this book.

As far as a linchpin villain, someone like Harada or Master Darque have strong potential of being that dominant force. Depending on what the storyline focus would be (meta-humans in general, or magic which influences this world).

10 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

One problem I'm seeing with the Valiant Universe (I know it's still early)...no "Thanos" or "Darkseid" to bring everybody together.

That's a good point, but like Bosco685 said... Harada is an "Omega level" power.  His view of what the world/universe should be isn't shared by many of the heroes... but most aren't powerful enough to stop him.

Seriously - I'd lose my shorts to see Harbinger 25 on-screen.

Eternal Warrior was one of the few original Valiant titles that stayed of consistently high quality all the way through, esp. considering the nosedives Magnus and X-O took near the end.

Ninjak was a crappier book by comparison but it too stayed consistent the whole way through -- although I'm still pissed it was cancelled before the story resolved.

13 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
13 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Solar 10 first printing has always been high when it comes to a 9.8 example. Then it nosedives down at the lower grades. So hopefully news like this helps bring more attention to this book.

Yes, strongly doubt that this book will go Boom at anything less than in uber HG condition.

Especially considering that this book had a relatively high print run as Valiant books were already pegged by speculators as the hot books to get by that time.  Hence, if I remember correctly, this book deemed as special prior to coming out and was hoarded in huge numbers, similar to what happened with Magnus 12 which introduced Turok into the Valiant universe.  hm

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, strongly doubt that this book will go Boom at anything less than in uber HG condition.

Especially considering that this book had a relatively high print run as Valiant books were already pegged by speculators as the hot books to get by that time.  Hence, if I remember correctly, this book deemed as special prior to coming out and was hoarded in huge numbers, similar to what happened with Magnus 12 which introduced Turok into the Valiant universe.  hm

Umm...no.

Yes - it had a relatively high print run for Valiant at the time (~45,000?) but it was still before the Unity crossover that launched Valiant books into mainstream popularity two months later.

Happy to wait for ValiantMan to confirm or correct but I believe the Valiant Voice issues noted that Solar 10 and Magnus 12 were the 16th and 17th rarest of the 47 or so earliest Valiant books. So both were easily in the bottom 50% of print runs for the first 50 or so books released.

Neither Magnus 12 nor Solar 10 were ordered to anywhere near the extent of Magnus 1, X-O 1 or (esp.) Shadowman 1 (because by that time Valiant had begun to amass a following).

You're right: due to its unique (for the time) gimmick cover, Solar 10 sold out very quickly after it hit the stands. But it wasn't ordered by speculators ahead of time, hence it's being the only Valiant book to go to a second printing.

It's also always been hard to find in true 9.8 shape.

And as someone who has indeed hoarded a few key Valiant books over the last 15 years, I can say...I only have two copies of Solar 10 (vs. say...27 copies of Magnus 0, 24 copies of Shadowman 1, 6 copies of Harbinger 1, etc.).

Edited by Gatsby77

13 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...no.

Yes - it had a relatively high print run for Valiant at the time (~45,000?) but it was still before the Unity crossover that launched Valiant books into mainstream popularity two months later.

Happy to wait for ValiantMan to confirm or correct but I believe the Valiant Voice issues noted that Solar 10 and Magnus 12 were the 16th and 17th rarest of the 47 or so earliest Valiant books. So both were easily in the bottom 50% of print runs for the first 50 or so books released.

Neither Magnus 12 nor Solar 10 were ordered to anywhere near the extent of Magnus 1, X-O 1 or (esp.) Shadowman 1 (because by that time Valiant had begun to amass a following).

You're right: due to its unique (for the time) gimmick cover, Solar 10 sold out very quickly after it hit the stands. But it wasn't ordered by speculators ahead of time, hence it's being the only Valiant book to go to a second printing.

It's also always been hard to find in true 9.8 shape.

And as someone who has indeed hoarded a few key Valiant books over the last 15 years, I can say...I only have two copies of Solar 10 (vs. say...27 copies of Magnus 0, 24 copies of Shadowman 1, 6 copies of Harbinger 1, etc.).

I'm a little skeptical that Solar #10 and Magnus #12 were actually the 16th and 17th rarest early Valiant books, just because it's too convenient for Valiant to list the Top 15 Rarest and then have the two most popular "others" in 16th and 17th... it's more like "honorable mention".  However, both Magnus #12 and Solar #10 had very high cover prices ($3.50 and $3.95)... which would have kept the orders lower than if they had been $2.25.

So, among Valiant collectors, there are lots of Solar #10.  Among comic shops, I rarely find any... though it is usually possible to find a second printing for $6 somewhere.  The "biggest source" of early Valiant books 20 to 25 years later has tended to be comic shops which were hoarding prior to closing their stores.  Those hoards of inventory in storage for 20 years seem to be where 5 to 50 copies of some of the Valiant early books are uncovered.  Those same hoards of inventory usually have 1,000 copies of Turok #1 and Adventures of Superman #500... but there are some gems in those boxes (Batman Adventures #12, New Mutants #98, etc.).

I could never find a copy of Solar 10 growing up. Whenever my ship would get one the price was way too much for me to afford. Same with Harbinger 1.

ive been finding them and buying them the past few years

IMG_8347.JPG