• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A stunning commission and published page by Jim Woodring

12 posts in this topic

Jim Woodring is a brilliant artist. His no dialog no narration stories are so unworldly there just isn't much to compare it to. His vision and talent put him in a class by himself. The published page is from a TPB called Fran and the other piece is a commission he did for me recently. Have a look.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1411784

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1411783 

19 hours ago, Grails said:

I never heard of this artist or his work but I like what I see.  Looked him up on amazon and see a dozen trades by him.  What do you recommend I start with?

His main character is Frank. You will find him in most of Woodrings books but the books are stories within themselves. They don't seem to follow a time line. I started with "Weathercraft" which was mostly about a character named Manhog. It's as good a starting point as any.

This is my first post in the forum, just joined the forum and was drawn to this topic right away, I started my collection of original comic art almost 14 years ago and started my collection with a commission of Jim Woodring that is framed on the wall since then :)

8 hours ago, Joao Antunes said:

This is my first post in the forum, just joined the forum and was drawn to this topic right away, I started my collection of original comic art almost 14 years ago and started my collection with a commission of Jim Woodring that is framed on the wall since then :)

Welcome mate.  I'm fairly new here as well. 

As I have heard others here say before - picture or it doesn't exist. 

8 hours ago, Joao Antunes said:

Please share.

On 8/2/2017 at 0:51 PM, Grails said:

I never heard of this artist or his work but I like what I see.  Looked him up on amazon and see a dozen trades by him.  What do you recommend I start with?

Weathercraft from Fantagraphics

10 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

anyone else pick up pieces from Woodrings website fundraiser art sale yesterday?
I picked up one. All the pieces sold out within one hour.

Where did he post that there was a fundraiser?

18 hours ago, Michaeld said:

Where did he post that there was a fundraiser?

facebook.

As an alternative to Kickstarter or GoFundMe campaigns, your Uncle Jim is about to offer up a raft of art, artifacts and anomalies online, priced to satisfy the needs of the most frugal connoisseur. If you would like a pre-release preview and are not already on my mailing list, please drop a line to redactedemail If you know anyone who might be interested in this please share. Thank you!

He posted all of the pieces here, https://store.jimwoodring.com/collections/featured-products