• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any appreciation for Aparo?
3 3

46 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, JTLarsen said:

Definite keeper. And, yes, overshadowed by Adams, especially. One of the definitive Batman artists.

I don't know about overshadowed.  Aparo is one of many artists who would be rock stars today if they were still with us.

2 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

I don't know about overshadowed.  Aparo is one of many artists who would be rock stars today if they were still with us.

Respectfully disagree. I think his style suffered as he got older. It was noticeable to me even in the late 1980s.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, JTLarsen said:

Definite keeper. And, yes, overshadowed by Adams, especially. One of the definitive Batman artists.

...exactly..... as were many top notch artists. Aparo is one of the best :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I think his style got much simpler and cleaner in the 80s, but the shading in his 70s work was quite dark and gritty in places, and really did suit characters such as Batman and The Spectre, as you can see in those covers.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/6/2017 at 10:04 PM, JTLarsen said:

Respectfully disagree. I think his style suffered as he got older. It was noticeable to me even in the late 1980s.

Yeah, I agree, Aparo's work did drop off in the 80s. While some of it was him streamlining his style, it also hurt that he quit inking his own work. I thought DeCarlo was a terrible match for his style. Aparo also did some really sharp work for Charlton, in the 1960s, before Giordano brought him over to DC.

That said, he was probably my favorite DC house artist, that worked regularly on multiple titles on a monthly bases.

2 hours ago, boomtown said:

Yeah, I agree, Aparo's work did drop off in the 80s. While some of it was him streamlining his style, it also hurt that he quit inking his own work. I thought DeCarlo was a terrible match for his style. Aparo also did some really sharp work for Charlton, in the 1960s, before Giordano brought him over to DC.

That said, he was probably my favorite DC house artist, that worked regularly on multiple titles on a monthly bases.

I was a big De Carlo fan. But definitely not on Aparo. I enjoyed De Carlo on Golden, for instance. But, yeah, Aparo benefited more from an inker like Sienkiewicz, I thought, who unstiffened some of his later work. Granted, Sienkiewicz also pretty much Sienkiewiczed Aparo, but that was mostly a good thing, as far as latter-day Aparo was concerned.

I missed Aparo in the '70s but he was the definitive Batman artist of my childhood (late '80s-early '90s). His run on Batman in the 400s was a classic, with a string of memorable stories including 10 Nights of the Beast, Death in the Family, Lonely Place of Dying, Knightfall, and more. When I picture Batman, it's always his version.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:15 PM, JTLarsen said:

Except that Adams got there first. Unless you're saying you see some specific stylistic quirk in this drawing that Adams was mimicking from Aparo? Otherwise, the overall dynamic is pretty clearly that Adams got there first with this style and then Aparo, Novick, and others charted their own way within Adams' penumbra.

It looks more like Aparo to me as well. The "quirk" is probably the curve of the cape.

When I first started collecting comics in the late '80s, one of my first purchases was the first 7 issues of the Outsiders. That was my favorite title for a while, and when I found out there was an entire series with the team before that, it got me into buying back issues. Aparo's Batman will always be the definitive Batman for me. Loved his work.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:43 PM, Black_Adam said:

s-l1600.jpg

I just picked up one more classic Aparo cover, this time with the artist himself front and center!

Gorgeous book.

I have been planning, for about a decade at this point, to assemble a list of all of Aparo's covers to submit to CGC in order for them to create an "Aparo Cover" set; there is always something else that needs to be done.

If I can find the time in the "comic" (coming) months, perhaps I'll commence assembling the list.

On 8/17/2017 at 5:16 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I missed Aparo in the '70s but he was the definitive Batman artist of my childhood (late '80s-early '90s). His run on Batman in the 400s was a classic, with a string of memorable stories including 10 Nights of the Beast, Death in the Family, Lonely Place of Dying, Knightfall, and more. When I picture Batman, it's always his version.

Concur!

Aparo was the Batman artist I I grew up with, so my appreciation is from a small age. Loved his work and art. Still in search of low number Batman: Black & White Aparo statue for my collection

In my opinon APARO > Adams.

:smile:

11 hours ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Aparo's covers for Detective Comics 440 and 444 are two of my favorite ones; although all of Aparo's covers are my favorite at one time or another.

512782_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Ni8zLzIwMTYgMTE6Mz

I agree! 'Tec #444 is right at the top of my Aparo wantlist when it comes to Batman. (thumbsu

Edited by Black_Adam

Yes, very fond of Aparo. Upsetting story....

So I was at my old LCS b.s.ing with the owner, probably around 1997/98, and another regular comes in, picks up a bunch of stuff and asks how much a stack of early 70s OA that had been sitting under a pile of junk was...he pulls it out and says $20 a page. At this point I was like "WTF, I'd buy those for that price" (in my head) and the guy takes them...a bunch of 70s Aparo Batman pages (not sure which title)..uhg. I was like "why didn't you ever offer those to me??" and he was "oh, they're just jim aparo pages, nobody wants his stuff"

I can't be too mad because the guy who bought them was the manager at the Beacon Theatre in manhattan, so I did wind up seeing a bunch of concerts for free through him who basically let the comic shop owner go to any show (except the almon brothers..) and take people in.

Edited by the blob