• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade in, WTH?? (was: For fun, PGM X-men 94)
2 2

13 posts in this topic

I think the crease halfway on the right edge, probably from reading, limit the grade. Hard to see the corners but it looks like it could be a generous 8.0. curious what it got. I'd give it 7.5. but CGC usually grades higher than I do. Anyway a press won't fix that edge.

Thanks for the input.  Ya'll are confirming my own estimates.  Here's the thing...  What you can not see in the picture is that there is a nearly invisible diagonal bend in the cover.  That bend is not color-breaking.   It's so light that when I bought the book, I didn't even see it until the ride home when I saw it when the light was shining against the gloss.  I felt like a noob because you always need to check the reflection of the gloss and I forgot.  Anyway, the book is/was sitting in a CGC 6.0 slab, so the graders at GCG saw it and factored it in.  So I bought it for the price of a Fine, but the bend will easily press out. At the time I bought it, I thought it was horribly undergraded.

So I've sent the book off to be pressed and re-graded, and your guesses are (literally) as good as mine regarding how it will come back.  Without the bend, I'm hoping It'll come back as an 8.0, but I could see either a 7.5 or a 8.5 depending on the how well the pressing works and how grumpy the graders are. 

Geez, I just got the results back.  I had this sent to CCS, and then graded.  They gave it a 6.5.  The graders notes said there were color breaking creases on the front and back.  I found a couple of old pictures of the book, and I just don't see them, nor did I see them when I sent in the book.  I'm stunned!

59d280ab4ceef_xmen209420frong_zpsdsxpbasr.jpg.dffdbb65f8391af73f818278c0e8e44b.jpg

5 hours ago, Terrapin said:

There are a number of cb creases on the fc especially the right edge. Haven't seen the back cover. The fc creases were there in your first post pre pressing. 

Yep. If you added up the horizontal widths of the small tears/welts on the right edge you'd probably be looking at close to a quarter-inch of real estate. Looked at that way, a grade of 6.5 is pretty reasonable.

On the flip side, you've got a really nice-looking 6.5 here!, so I don't think it's a terrible result. Shouldn't be a hard one to sell.