• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.2 white or 9.6 off white to white?

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

A question:

I saw a CGC silver age book I want to purchase, for the same price I see a 9.2 white and a 9.6 offwhite to white.
Which one should I purchase? Which one as more value?

thank you

Just now, Dawall said:

Hi,

A question:

I saw a CGC silver age book I want to purchase, for the same price I see a 9.2 white and a 9.6 offwhite to white.
Which one should I purchase? Which one as more value?

thank you

Depends what book.

This illustrates how much of a premium white pages get . It is a major preference and I suppose in the long run the white pages will be easier to sell(assuming you can keep the pages white).

I personally would prefer the 9.6.

I'd buy the one that looks the nicest.  There are plenty of books in multiple grades where a lower graded copy looks to me to be nicer and better preserved than one with a higher numerical grade.

As to value, the 9.6 ow/w will almost certainly sell for more than the 9.2 white, provided both are blue label copies.  Indeed, it's surprising the two you wrote about are available for the same price.

31 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Always?

At first glance the 9.2 obviously looks better.  But that's not just any book.  With that kind of investment I would hope the person who decides to buy it knows to look at the grader notes and would be more knowledgeable than having to post in the "newbie" section:grin:.

"Always" is an absolute term.  Comic collecting isn't death or taxeslol

4 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

Looks like that 9.6 got pressed into a 9.2. they are the same book right?

Yes, same book.  The 9.2 that I used to own was pressed into a 9.6 after I had sold it, and as the higher numerical grade the pressed version looks much worse than the original.  In other words, sometimes a 9.2 copy of a book can look nicer than a 9.6, and is the one I'd want to own for my own collection.  If, on the other hand, a comic purchase is being made to make money, then the 9.6 will virtually always have more resale value than a 9.2 copy, provided a miracle occurs and 9.2 and 9.6 copies are offered at the same time for the same price.

Edited by namisgr

1 minute ago, namisgr said:

Yes, same book.  The 9.2 that I used to own was pressed into a 9.6 after I had sold it, and as the higher numerical grade the pressed version looks much worse than the original.  In other words, sometimes a 9.2 copy of a book can look nicer than a 9.6, and is the one I'd want to own for my own collection.  If, on the other hand, a comic purchase is being made to make money, then the 9.6 will virtually always have more resale value than a 9.2 copy.

Wow. The 9.6 looks like it could use a press more than the 9.2.