• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Ok, dug up some of the tweets in question. Immature and beyond inappropriate...don’t feel bad for the guy but sill sucks for the MCU...

Part 3 needs a new tone. It's for the best Gunn is gone IMO. I enjoyed the first movie, made it through the second, and until now, had no expectation for the third.

It's just further proof that nothing you post on the internet is ever gone... so while you might grow and change, people can always go back and make you pay for past mistakes.

It's pointless to compare the level of his transgressions with those of other people, these are things someone in his position shouldn't say... and I think he knows that.

I'm less concerned with GOTG 3, than I am with the overall path of Phase 4, as I believe he was going to be a guiding force.  I'm hoping he shared his vision with those in charge either casually or formally in the past year.  Whether or not they stick to it for not, I'd hate for his voice/vision to at least not be considered.

Regardless of the subject matter in the tweets (which is disgusting) and him being a self described attention seeking edge lord at the time (with Lloyd Kaufmen) it is complete hypocrisy on the part of Disney.  Gunn went on an apology tour, deleted tweets, and so forth back in mid 2012 (when rumors of his hiring were hot) and three months later was officially hired on to helm GotG, then in December of that year even more from his blog had to be taken down for the same reasons.  Gunn was vetted and hired by Disney, this was not a secret the only thing that has changed is the all or nothing society outlook and outrage culture.

Wow,  so basically some one dig up some old tweets from Gunn before GOTG 1 and Disney fired him. Nice time we are living. Really weird tweets thou not my type of humor but still they are only tweets and if they did not bother people and Disney back then why now? Disney to fire him was not that surprising because as a public company they are afraid that scandal would affect their share prices etc. 

I think Dennis Villeneuve would never want to direct GOTG 3 and I don't know if he is really in to comics etc. I think Gunn was pretty good person to direct comic book films. He had a real interest of the source material but still was not like a total pop culture fan like Whedon or Kevin Smith. Maybe they just take some director who is happy to direct a film which has tight boundaries set up by Disney/Marvel. In GOTG 2 I think Gunn's hands were more tied and he could not make the film that he wanted. 

Nice timing thou. Would be interesting if this would come up in one of Marvels SDCC 2018 panels but I think not.

Edited by godzilla43

10 hours ago, DougC said:

Regardless of the subject matter in the tweets (which is disgusting) and him being a self described attention seeking edge lord at the time (with Lloyd Kaufmen) it is complete hypocrisy on the part of Disney.  Gunn went on an apology tour, deleted tweets, and so forth back in mid 2012 (when rumors of his hiring were hot) and three months later was officially hired on to helm GotG, then in December of that year even more from his blog had to be taken down for the same reasons.  Gunn was vetted and hired by Disney, this was not a secret the only thing that has changed is the all or nothing society outlook and outrage culture.

The subject matter of his "jokes", if you can refer to them as that, is something that Disney's can't be associated with.  Their target audience is children.  The dude had to go.  To not realize that is strange.  To lay the blame at Disney's or society's feet is even stranger.  The guy did it to himself.

Edited by Lucky Baru

10 hours ago, DougC said:

9 hours ago, godzilla43 said:

Wow,  so basically some one dig up some old tweets from Gunn before GOTG 1 and Disney fired him. Nice time we are living. Really weird tweets thou not my type of humor but still they are only tweets and if they did not bother people and Disney back then why now?

Back in 2012 he wasn't the face of a franchise.  Back in 2012 the political environment wasn't as highly charged.

Now he is (was) the face of a franchise with a very opinionated political view on social media.  He picked a fight and lost.

Disney had to be consistent.  They fired Rosanne.  They had to fire Gunn.

1 hour ago, Anfield Fox said:

Taika Waititi (Ragnarok) would be a good bet.

Yup. I was thinking the same thing.  Basically very similar to Gunn's approach in his two GOTG films.

A guest appearance by Korg would be nice.

6 minutes ago, jharvey said:

If there was a way to review everything that everyone in the entire world ever said/wrote/tweeted/posted/did during the course of their entire life,

On social media. You mean on social media. No one examined everything he ever said. Just something that he posted to social media, which is viewable to the entire WORLD.

nearly all of us would be fired from our jobs

You CAN get fired from your job for making jokes about pedophilia on your social media account. If you work somewhere and someone goes back through your social media account and finds a post like that and brings it up to your HR department, they CAN fire you. 

That's a business protecting itself. See, if it turns out, the person IS a pedophile and does something to someone's kid, and it comes back to: The business he worked at had it reported to them and they did NOTHING.... uh oh. Sorry, that's called protecting 'yo butt'.

and we could all watch @Lucky Baru sit here and say "The guy did it to himself."

James Gunn was man enough to accept the responsibility for what he did, I certainly didn't expect the same reaction in THIS place. I thought his apology was one of the better written, sincere statements I've ever seen in a situation like this. Makes Rosanne look all the more like the POS she is. 

He's free to go make movies elsewhere. He's a multimillionaire who will get residuals from GOTG and GOTG2 for the rest of his life. He's talented, and no one REALLY believes he supports the nonsense he was talking about, so.... silver lining, he doesn't HAVE to make silly superhero movies anymore, he got a parachute out.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. I was thinking the same thing.  Basically very similar to Gunn's approach in his two GOTG films.

A guest appearance by Korg would be nice.

Better yet, a crossover with Thor.:cloud9:

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Back in 2012 he wasn't the face of a franchise.  Back in 2012 the political environment wasn't as highly charged.

What does politics have to do with it? Plenty of people have been getting fired for stupid posts to social media from as far back as... 2007. It's just caught up to celebrities who work for bigger companies with more to lose when their employee do something wrong. 

Now he is (was) the face of a franchise with a very opinionated political view on social media.  He picked a fight and lost.

When did pedophilia and rape become political topics? It has nothing to do with politics. 

Disney had to be consistent.  They fired Rosanne.  They had to fire Gunn.

Yes. Both were seen as a risk for what they'd posted. Are you insinuating he was fired to 'even things out politically'? 

Edited by Chuck Gower

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

What does politics have to do with it?

When did pedophilia and rape become political topics? It has nothing to do with politics. 

Yes. Both were seen as a risk for what they'd posted. Are you insinuating he was fired to 'even things out politically'? 

Yes, this specific situation is politically related.  He was arguing back and forth with a conservative far right wing individual.  That individual and others dug up the old tweets.  So there is an element of politics to it.  To say it has NOTHING to do with politics is incorrect.

But I agree that the overall argument is not politically exclusive.  That wasn't what I was inferring or insinuating.  Don't extrapolate my statement to be more than it is.

***End

2 hours ago, jharvey said:

If there was a way to review everything that everyone in the entire world ever said/wrote/tweeted/posted/did during the course of their entire life, nearly all of us would be fired from our jobs and we could all watch @Lucky Baru sit here and say "The guy did it to himself."

If you make "jokes", as if they could be considered jokes, about rape and pedophilia in the way he did then you dug your own hole.  For that to be difficult for you to understand points towards you not knowing what is socially acceptable in public or in private.  Hint - it isn't acceptable in either.

Edited by Lucky Baru