• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

These are JOKES.  There is absolutely zero evidence of anything inappropriate. If there was, it would be a totally different story.  Again, using the same absurd logic, anyone who has told the aristocrats joke in the past should never be allowed to work again. Here's the list of people that should be lumped in with Gunn from the 2005 Aristocrats documentary: 

Chris Albrecht, Jason Alexander, Hank Azaria, Shelley Berman, Billy the Mime, Lewis Black, David Brenner, Jimmy Buffett, Mario Cantone, Drew Carey, George Carlin, Margaret Cho, Mark Cohen, Carrot Top, Billy Connolly, Tim Conway, Pat Cooper, Wayne Cotter, Andy , Frank DiGiacomo, Phyllis Diller, Susie Essman, Carrie Fisher, Joe Franklin, Todd Glass, Judy Gold, Whoopi Goldberg, Eddie Gorodetsky, Gilbert Gottfried, Dana Gould, Allan Havey, Eric Idle, Dom Irrera, Eddie Izzard, Richard Jeni, Jake Johannsen, The Amazing Johnathan, Alan Kirschenbaum, Jay Kogen, Sue Kolinsky, Paul Krassner, Cathy Ladman, Lisa Lampanelli, Richard Lewis, Wendy Liebman, Bill Maher, Howie Mandel, Merrill Markoe, Jay Marshall, Jackie Martling, Chuck McCann, Michael McKean, Eric Mead, Larry Miller, Martin Mull, Kevin Nealon, Taylor Negron, The Onion editorial staff, Otto and George, Rick Overton, Gary Owens, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, The Passing Zone, Penn & Teller, Emo Philips, Peter Pitofsky, Kevin Pollak, Paul Reiser, Andy Richter, Don Rickles, Chris Rock, Gregg Rogell, Jeffrey Ross, Jon Ross, Rita Rudner, Bob Saget, T. Sean Shannon, Harry Shearer, Sarah Silverman, Bobby Slayton, The Smothers Brothers, Carrie Snow, Doug Stanhope, David Steinberg, Jon Stewart, Larry Storch, Rip Taylor, Dave Thomas, Johnny Thompson, Peter Tilden, Bruce Vilanch, Fred Willard, Robin Williams, Steven Wright

Make sure you bring enough torches.

1 hour ago, Werner_Von_Doom said:

These are JOKES.  There is absolutely zero evidence of anything inappropriate. If there was, it would be a totally different story.  Again, using the same absurd logic, anyone who has told the aristocrats joke in the past should never be allowed to work again. Here's the list of people that should be lumped in with Gunn from the 2005 Aristocrats documentary: 

Chris Albrecht, Jason Alexander, Hank Azaria, Shelley Berman, Billy the Mime, Lewis Black, David Brenner, Jimmy Buffett, Mario Cantone, Drew Carey, George Carlin, Margaret Cho, Mark Cohen, Carrot Top, Billy Connolly, Tim Conway, Pat Cooper, Wayne Cotter, Andy , Frank DiGiacomo, Phyllis Diller, Susie Essman, Carrie Fisher, Joe Franklin, Todd Glass, Judy Gold, Whoopi Goldberg, Eddie Gorodetsky, Gilbert Gottfried, Dana Gould, Allan Havey, Eric Idle, Dom Irrera, Eddie Izzard, Richard Jeni, Jake Johannsen, The Amazing Johnathan, Alan Kirschenbaum, Jay Kogen, Sue Kolinsky, Paul Krassner, Cathy Ladman, Lisa Lampanelli, Richard Lewis, Wendy Liebman, Bill Maher, Howie Mandel, Merrill Markoe, Jay Marshall, Jackie Martling, Chuck McCann, Michael McKean, Eric Mead, Larry Miller, Martin Mull, Kevin Nealon, Taylor Negron, The Onion editorial staff, Otto and George, Rick Overton, Gary Owens, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, The Passing Zone, Penn & Teller, Emo Philips, Peter Pitofsky, Kevin Pollak, Paul Reiser, Andy Richter, Don Rickles, Chris Rock, Gregg Rogell, Jeffrey Ross, Jon Ross, Rita Rudner, Bob Saget, T. Sean Shannon, Harry Shearer, Sarah Silverman, Bobby Slayton, The Smothers Brothers, Carrie Snow, Doug Stanhope, David Steinberg, Jon Stewart, Larry Storch, Rip Taylor, Dave Thomas, Johnny Thompson, Peter Tilden, Bruce Vilanch, Fred Willard, Robin Williams, Steven Wright

Make sure you bring enough torches.

If it was more than just  jokes, then Disney wouldn't have had to fire him, because people in jail don't usually show up for work.

But what you seem to be proposing, is that Disney didn't have the right to fire him for some disturbing jokes.

A corporation has the right (and the obligation to it's shareholders) to dismiss any employee that they feel in the long or short term, will cost that corporation money.  It happens all the time.  

I don't get to go to work all week, and then on the weekend make a public tool out of myself, and expect my employer to keep me on the payroll.

I understand that comedy is supposed to be edgy.  It's up to the comedian to know what their employers, or future employers, will tolerate.  

Edited by WeR138

10 minutes ago, WeR138 said:

If it was more than just  jokes, then Disney wouldn't have had to fire him, because people in jail don't usually show up for work.

But what you seem to be proposing, is that Disney didn't have the right to fire him for some disturbing jokes.

A corporation has the right (and the obligation to it's shareholders) to dismiss any employee that they feel in the long or short term, will cost that corporation money.  It happens all the time.  

I don't get to go to work all week, and then on the weekend make a public tool out of myself, and expect my employer to keep me on the payroll.

I understand that comedy is supposed to be edgy.  It's up to the comedian to know what their employers, or future employers, will tolerate.  

Before jail, there could be accusations.  There are none, unlike Harvey Weinstein, who is not in jail either.

Of course Disney can fire him, they can fire him if the CEO doesn't like the color of his tie.  That doesn't mean people (and the cast of GOTG) can't think it is a stupid reason.

If Disney is consistent, Carrie Fisher's scenes should not be in Episode IX

You think it was stupid that they fired him.  I think it was stupid of him to say what he did..  

At the end of the day, all that matters is that Disney thought they had more to lose by keeping him on.

GotG 1 and 2 are my favorite marvel movies, and i would have loved to see the last one by Gunn.

But Disney doesn't need to care about consistency, only profits.  

Edited by WeR138

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Chuck Gower said:

so.... silver lining, he doesn't HAVE to make silly superhero movies anymore, he got a parachute out.

Thank God!

I thought I was the only one who saw this on actor's faces in "Avengers: Infinity War."

It's supposed to be a somber movie, end of the world stuff, but some of the actors, Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Elizabeth Olson, Chadwick Boseman, Gwyneth Paltrow, etc., looked extremely bored.

When Bautista yawned at Tony's plan, I had to laugh at this unintentional joke more on probably the behind the scenes.

I can see directors in the same boat.

On 8/18/2018 at 10:19 PM, Oddball said:

I'm the last one to jump on the Disney bandwagon but they probably made the right call if they thought it would hurt their bottom line.  I like Gunns movies and while I haven't read all the things he's said, I know I've told some pretty disgusting jokes when I was younger.  Thank God there was no social media then other than "so last night Charlie said..."

And it was more than just "jokes" on Twitter. Subsequent to that, pictures of him at some pedo fetish party surfaced online.  

Once that happened it was definitely "game over, man" for James Gunn.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

12 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

And it was more than just "jokes" on Twitter. Subsequent to that, pictures of him at some pedo fetish party surfaced online.  

Once that happened it was definitely "game over, man" for James Gunn.

-J.

My understanding is it was a costume party where he, along with a group, decided to dress up like the “how to catch a predator” show.

In poor taste? Yes... Pedo fetish party? Ehhh, I have a different definition of what that would be...???

Edited by Callaway29

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

My understanding is it was a costume party that he, along with a group, decided to dress up like the how to catch a predator show.

In poor taste? Yes... Pedo fetish party? Ehhh, I have a different definition of what that would be...???

Taken together with the "joke" tweets it just makes the guy looks like he has some weird fixation, normal people don't make "jokes" about things like that, then play dress up, it was too much taken together and Disney was just done.  Their brand is more important to them than one weird dude.

-J.

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Taken together with the "joke" tweets it just makes the guy looks like he has some weird fixation, normal people don't make "jokes" about things like that, then play dress up, it was too much taken together and Disney was just done.  Their brand is more important to them than one weird dude.

-J.

Right. One litmus test: Given what you've seen, would you trust your kid(s) with him? I don't even have kids, and can answer that. With Disney, it's all image.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:16 AM, marvelcollector said:

Right. One litmus test: Given what you've seen, would you trust your kid(s) with him? I don't even have kids, and can answer that. With Disney, it's all image.

i'd love my kids to go drinking w/ RDJ - good times

On 7/21/2018 at 10:36 AM, Chuck Gower said:

On social media. You mean on social media. No one examined everything he ever said. Just something that he posted to social media, which is viewable to the entire WORLD.

You CAN get fired from your job for making jokes about pedophilia on your social media account. If you work somewhere and someone goes back through your social media account and finds a post like that and brings it up to your HR department, they CAN fire you. 

That's a business protecting itself. See, if it turns out, the person IS a pedophile and does something to someone's kid, and it comes back to: The business he worked at had it reported to them and they did NOTHING.... uh oh. Sorry, that's called protecting 'yo butt'.

James Gunn was man enough to accept the responsibility for what he did, I certainly didn't expect the same reaction in THIS place. I thought his apology was one of the better written, sincere statements I've ever seen in a situation like this. Makes Rosanne look all the more like the POS she is. 

He's free to go make movies elsewhere. He's a multimillionaire who will get residuals from GOTG and GOTG2 for the rest of his life. He's talented, and no one REALLY believes he supports the nonsense he was talking about, so.... silver lining, he doesn't HAVE to make silly superhero movies anymore, he got a parachute out.

i guess not

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

So what they're really saying is don't even bother making GOTG 3, because I don't see Disney's stance on this changing. I guess they can always shuffle the cast into other MCU standalone films like the did with Hulk, or replace Gunn with an unknown director (unless the cast refuses to do the film without Gunn), because too many of the big names are afraid they'll be stepping on toes. Directors are replaced all of the time, get over it already.

19 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

So what they're really saying is don't even bother making GOTG 3, because I don't see Disney's stance on this changing. I guess they can always shuffle the cast into other MCU standalone films like the did with Hulk, or replace Gunn with an unknown director (unless the cast refuses to do the film without Gunn), because too many of the big names are afraid they'll be stepping on toes. Directors are replaced all of the time, get over it already.

If anything, it most probably comes down to why it was done.

Yes, Gunn made some crude jokes. He admitted to that, and never did it again publicly. It was Gunn's removal reasons that rubs people wrong. But it is concerning a topic we are not allowed to go into on the boards to avoid excessive conflict.