• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

The Illuminerdi has learned that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is currently looking to cast the long-awaited cosmic hero Adam Warlock.

James Gunn’s highly anticipated Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is set to begin filming soon and a long-awaited character from the cosmic side of Marvel will finally make his debut.

One of the many Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 post credit scenes included the humiliated Sovereign Golden High Priestess, Ayesha. It found her sitting on her own when she is approached by another Sovereign informing her that the High Council is waiting for her, as she’s perturbed that she was defeated by the Guardians, along with losing the Anulax batteries and a number of ships.

With this post credit scene as the likely set up for the MCU’s Adam Warlock, it looks like the character’s origin will differ from the original comics. In the comics, Adam first introduced as “Him” was created by a group of human scientists called the Enclave who sought to create the perfect human. Once Him emerged, he sensed the malicious intent of his creators and rebelled against them to escape.

:banana::whee::banana::whee:

23 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Stallone...Starhawk...you know they want to do it lol

I thought he was terrible.

Edited by Ken Aldred

With Guardians of the Galaxy, vol. 3 getting an official 2023 release date and director James Gunn suggesting his third film will serve as the conclusion to the story he started in 2014, we now have a limited time left with the Guardians of the Galaxy as we know them. So when I recently sat down with Drax himself, Dave Bautista, to talk Army of the Dead, I also thought it was the perfect time to look back on the arc of the Guardians films, from Marvel's first real box office underdog to one of the franchise's most cherished pieces. While Bautista is deeply grateful for the role—Hollywood isn't always Dwayne Johnson levels of welcoming to pro wrestlers making the leap—he does feel like there's a lot of Drax's story that unfortunately got passed over as the MCU grew. 

Here's exactly what he told us: 

"That role changed the trajectory of my life. It's always going to be special to me. Now that I’m four films in...I really wished they would have invested more in Drax, personally. Because I think Drax has more of a story to tell. I think Drax has a really interesting backstory which they dropped the ball on. That’s no dig on Marvel. They had their slate, I know what they’re focused on, that’s what they have slated out. But man, I think they really missed the ball on Drax. He has such a great backstory. Selfishly, as a performer, that would have given me the opportunity to show different sides of Drax, emotionally. And physically as well. Because, if you notice, Drax, although he looks like a badass, you look at him and he looks terrifying, but Drax gets his kicked more than any other Marvel character...The whole “Destroyer” thing they just threw that out the window...people just fell so in love with the comedic side of Drax they tapped into that, then they tapped into it more, then they really dug a hole into it. But we missed a huge boat on that character and I don’t think it’ll ever come back around. But I’m really just looking forward to finishing out this whole journey."

Someone will show up with the Feige whiteboard backstory how all the perfect magic is baked in by default.

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Someone will show up with the Feige whiteboard backstory how all the perfect magic is baked in by default.

They should give Drax a streaming series to fill in some of those gaps.

Gunn recently caught up with The New York Times to discuss the tumultuous journey from moving between the MCU and the DCEU for The Suicide Squad. Reflecting on his dismissal from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, the writer/director opened up about the heartbreaking phone calls with Feige the day he was let go. See what Gunn had to say below:

"It was conveyed to me by Kevin Feige [the Marvel Studios president]. I called Kevin the morning it was going on, and I said, 'Is this a big deal?' And he goes, 'I don’t know.' That was a moment. I was like, 'You don’t know?' I was surprised. Later he called me — he himself was in shock — and told me what the powers that be had decided. It was unbelievable. And for a day, it seemed like everything was gone. Everything was gone. I was going to have to sell my house. I was never going to be able to work again. That’s what it felt like."

The news of Gunn's dismissal from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 sent a shockwave through Hollywood, with some defending the studio's decision while most criticized it due to the right-wing publications that were digging the tweets back up and tying them to the #MeToo movement and because of his addressing them and apologizing for them in the past. While Disney's swift reversal similarly saw the House of Mouse coming under fire for realizing the error of their ways, it was still seen as a win for fans, Gunn and the Guardians of the Galaxy cast. The cherry on top for his rehiring was the studios electing to allow Gunn as much time as needed to finish shooting The Suicide Squad before asking him to come back.

In an exclusive interview with ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis, James Gunn explained how he's approaching the challenge of Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3, after The Suicide Squad:

"Listen, Guardians movies are just different. It's just using a different part of my brain in some ways," Gunn said. "I mean, Guardians movies are more geometric. This Guardians, in particular, is just gigantic, so I'm just finishing the story that I feel like I need to finish."

However, Gunn has previously indicated that Guardians 3 won't just be "gigantic," that bigger size will also come with some heavier dramatic weight:

"For Guardians 3, the -script has basically been written for a long time. I've been playing with it in little ways over the years, but it's basically stayed the same since three years ago," Gunn told EW. "It's pretty heavy actually. It's a heavier story, so it's an emotional process to go through."

:applause:

According to a recent Collider interview, Gunn explains that the -script for the third movie has been completed for essentially three years:

“It’s basically been finished for years. I keep fiddling with different things and adding things, and figuring out permutations and stuff — I’m in the middle of doing another draft now — but it’s really small stuff in comparison to what it has been. It’s basically been finished since three years ago.”

While we’re excited for the third Guardians film, we know that this one will have a more somber tone. Karen Gillan, who plays Nebula; said she was in tears from reading the -script. In addition, we know that this will be a Guardians film without the “prime” Gamora. Gamora, played by Zoe Saldana; was killed off in Avengers: Infinity War, however; her 2014 counterpart came to help battle against Thanos in Avengers: Endgame. So, what can we expect after that shocker and what will Guardians 3 set up?

“The only time they ever [asked me to include something for future MCU movies] was on the first movie with Thanos, putting Thanos in there. Which they wanted me to do. But besides that they’ve never done that. I have to pay attention to things that happen, which they did talk to me about – the stuff with Gamora and things like that. I know that the characters have been through certain things, so I have to deal with that stuff. But for the most part, they never once asked me to put anything in the -script for Volume 3 to set up anything in the future. Nor would I do it, frankly, it’s not really my thing.”