• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 3 (2020)
7 7

864 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

I said "wonderful people" not "directors."

Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, etc. are always doing kind things for people. That's all I meant. 

I'm not judging. I like some of these folks too, and the way they are towards fans in general.

'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3' To Be Released In 2020

Fans have long been speculating when James Gunn’s third installment to the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise would be release and now — thanks to Gunn himself — we now know when Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3 will be released. The fan-favorite director took to Twitter earlier this evening to have a Q&A session with fans and when asked about the third Guardians movie, Gunn tweeted that it would, in fact, be released in 2020.

Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige and company have been sitting on a few 2020 dates — May 1, August 7, and November 1 — and speculation’s been running rampant on which movies would get those dates locked up. Now with Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3 confirmed as one of those dates, we’re left to try and decode which of the other franchises will get the two remaining dates.

News broke earlier this week that Marvel had hired a writer to be -script for a solo Black Widow outing and Chris Hemsworth said he has talked to director Taika Waititi on a potential Thor 4 film. Another strong possibility — and a near-lock for one of the 2020 dates, one would think — would be a sequel to Scott Derrickson’s Doctor Strange (2016) as Benedict Cumberbatch has been speculated to be an anchor in a potential post-Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Disney's Buyout Of Fox Won't Affect 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3'

Director James Gunn, who confirmed the movie is on track for release in 2020, also assuaged fans' fears when he said the Fox deal wouldn't affect his film, even though some thought it could change the cosmic characters who will appear on screen.

This is actually a good thing. Gunn has been deep into the story process for his third adventure with Marvel's cosmic super-team. While the deal could be approved and finalized by the time work begins on his film, it would be way too late in the scripting process to have characters like Galactus or Annihilus to factor heavily into the plot.

Sure, they could always tack on a post-credits scene or two to help tease the new branches of the MCU's cosmic side, but changing his plans altogether just because he can include a Super Skull would be detrimental to the filmmaking process.

'Guardians' Director Drops a Groot Bomb He Thought Fans Knew, But They're Traumatized

The "Guardians of the Galaxy" and sequel director weighed in on a tweet asking fans to save one -- a "Star Wars" Porg or Marvel favorite Groot. In the middle of his arguments, Gunn revealed that the first Groot of "Guardians" Vol. 1 died, and the Baby Groot of Vol. 2 was his child.

That was news to many fans, who figured Groot was the same Groot, just changed.

'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Trilogy Director Says Films Are About Adults Abused As Children Starting To Heal

Each chapter in the Marvel Cinematic Universe has offered audiences various thematic narratives, with one of the more obvious themes in the Guardians of the Galaxy films being about choosing our families and developing strong emotional connections, no matter what has happened in our pasts. Elaborating on that fact further, director James Gunn confirmed that the films specifically explore the themes of adults who were abused as children uniting together with fellow survivors.

When a fan linked Gunn to a piece about the thematic the cycles of abuse in his films, Gunn echoed, "Thanks. Guardians of the Galaxy is, to me, more than anything else, about adults who were abused as children starting to heal, uneasily and in fits and starts, by building relationships with other adults who were abused as children."

In a follow-up tweet, Gunn also confirmed that this would be a similar theme in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 as well.

The most obvious example of this abuse is seen in Gamora, who regularly explains the torture that Thanos put her through on her journey to becoming an intergalactic assassin. Not only did she suffer direct abuse, but was also regularly thrown into combat with Nebula, with Thanos subjecting Nebula to painful "upgrades" every time she was bested in combat.

Gunn took to Facebook to provide an update to fans, revealing that he's currently working on the -script for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, taking some time to answer questions about the movie's progress and revealing some details.

"I'm more than a year into the process, so the -script is far along," wrote Gunn. "For many many months I first write the treatment which is 80 pages or so with photographs. That turns into GotG - I'm now rewriting and making sure my rough draft works."

When asked about whether the impending deal between Disney and Fox would impact the movie, Gunn said not to expect last minute changes.

"Not gonna happen in any major way," Gunn responded. "Too far along."

He revealed that he's narrowed down the characters who will appear in the film, and even confirmed fans shouldn't expect to see the Venom symbiote in the movie due to the rights belonging to Sony. Gunn also said the soundtrack is almost narrowed down, though he admitted a lot can change between now and the beginning of production. While the events of Avengers: Infinity War might have put the team of misfits in a precarious situation, given the fact that everyone but Rocket is dead, fans can expect to see many of the same faces when the third volume releases in theaters.

Star-Lord actor Chris Pratt recently confirmed to MTV that he's coming back to reprise the role for the new movie, though he was hesitant to reveal anything else for fear of spoiling the untitled sequel to Avengers: Infinity War.

"You'll know once you see [Avengers] part 2," Pratt said. "I'm slated to film Guardians of the Galaxy 3 in January, so we don't know yet time-wise where that lines up. I'm hoping it's not the last you see of me but I can't be sure."

16 minutes ago, paperheart said:

this is huge, negative news for the franchise.

He had to go and he did it to himself.  Noting some of the tweets Disney did not have a choice in the matter.  The Mouse can't be tied to that subject matter in any way, shape, or form.

Edited by Lucky Baru

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

this is huge, negative news for the franchise.

Is this really happen?  I've read stories where it turned out to be fake.  This happened quick.  ASSUMING this is all true...

...then yes, he should be fired.  I really liked the guy (from what was presented on media).  He seemed to be somebody who really cared about the fans and I liked how he stood up for other directors.  Well and wise spoken from his quotes.  Great director.  Now he just seems phony.

The excuses of "that was me then, that's not me now" is getting old.  Not just from him but from everybody who's old tweets/past gets unearthed.

29 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

:whatthe: I don’t agree with his politics, but I do like his movies...and through the many interviews I’ve watched enjoy his personality. This IS huge because he was a major influencer for the MCU. Nobody is safe these days...

Sure they are, as long as they're not tweeting about pedophilia and rape, over and over and over and over.......