• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this ever happened to you?

10 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Michaeld said:

I saw this at SDCC 2017 and for three days I tried to talk myself out of buying it. I folded like an Origami Tulip. Has this ever happened to you? I am weak

Ya, happened last year with the Blazing Saddles European poster artwork. I had sent alot and kept coming back to Mitch's booth. He did let me do time payments.

Great topic.

Pretty much happens with every piece of art I get.

One trick that I use to help avoid the anguish on bigger pieces is asking for a better price.  I ask, and if the seller accepts I buy it. my decision is made for me. If they dont accept - my decision is also made for me and I can move on. My mind is at rest.  There is closure.

Having said all that -sometimes I also like to ask other colectors their opinions if I cant decide what to do.

Ps - the hellshock is awesome!

Edited by Panelfan1

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:24 AM, Panelfan1 said:

Great topic.

One trick that I use to help avoid the anguish on bigger pieces is asking for a better price.  I ask, and if the seller accepts I buy it. my decision is made for me. If they dont accept - my decision is also made for me and I can move on. My mind is at rest.  There is closure.

Having said all that -sometimes I also like to ask other colectors their opinions if I cant decide what to do.

Im the same way.   But if the piece is still on my mind and I see that it hasn't moved to a new home for a while I sometimes try a 2nd time around.

On 8/5/2017 at 5:24 AM, Panelfan1 said:

Great topic.

I usually take a similar tact. There was a part of me that was hoping that someone else would buy it while I stalled. At one point I went back to the table and didn't see it on the wall. I got bummed and asked the dealer if it sold. He just moved it lower to where it wasn't so visible. I was so disappointed when I thought it was gone I realized it was one of those pieces I would forever regret not getting. My Pay Pal account took a hit.  

2 hours ago, Shaun C89 said:

I usually regret the purchases I don't make rather than the ones I do! (Original I know)

the truth is - there is a ton of artwork out there. If you have a wide taste, there is no shortage of great stuff to discover over time.   every time I get a piece of art, it means I am not getting something else.  So I usually try and not have regrets of this type. I have on occasion though found an item I failed to buy, come up again when the new buyer goes to sell it. I take those opportunities to add to my collection.  

@Michaeld - was the vendor of the Hellshock piece -  Splash Page art? they had a bunch of classic Jae Lee art. I almost picked up a different page myself- but other purchases maxed my spending ability.