• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby Elvgren Fine Arts Reference

4 posts in this topic

As well as long time OA collector I've been an artist all of my life involved with Fine Arts except for a very short stint as a colorist for comics (Defiant) and as you would imagine my love for comic art has seeped into my painting from time to time. It has been difficult at times as, in the Fine Arts arena ,comic art is still on the bottom rung of the ladder and any hint of it is frequently looked down on .Having said that and hoping that my fellow board members  would be appreciative I would like to show you my latest creation entitled "Heroes of the Western World" (first image,) and the comic illustration images I "borrowed" during it's creation.

I referenced that great kirby Rawhide Kid fight scene and those Elvgren girls to fill out the composition . The painting is in acrylic and 36 x 48 inches .

I would be very interested in any comments you might offer....Charles 

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

fresh_breeze_-_it_s_a_fresh_breeze_1956_1_.jpg

bbfe4d5f2abdde7770d083f732d1dd38--vintage-pin-ups-vintage-art.jpg

img-thing.jpeg

Edited by rrichards

As a great fan of comic art, I've met a few fine art snobs, too. Not too many, though, and my wife and I collect from both sides of the fence.

I really like what you've done here. I wouldn't have realized your sources if you hadn't shown the images. Very fun!

42 minutes ago, Hal Turner said:

As a great fan of comic art, I've met a few fine art snobs, too. Not too many, though, and my wife and I collect from both sides of the fence.

I really like what you've done here. I wouldn't have realized your sources if you hadn't shown the images. Very fun!

Thanks Hal,

Having been involved with fine art most of my life I know many,many artists ,male and female that were inspired by comics in their youth  to draw and paint.

There is definitely  a condescension  towards comic art that exists by some who consider themselves intellectuals . Case in point : A few years ago I lent my comic art collection to a college art gallery in NYC for display . During the hanging of the exhibition I began describing to the Gallery Director  the importance of one artists contributions  to which I was abruptly cut of with an icey "I don't read comics !!"

If you visit my website charlesdavidviera.com you will see that I also do a lot of wild life paintings and they are more commercially successful (thankfully)and these narrative paintings are something that I stray into from time to time. 

This painting was recently rejected from a local museum exhibition and I'm not really surprised. I think they thought it was too violent and sexist and missed the point that I was just trying to focus on the roles that media has placed on genders (male /violent,female/over sexualized) hence the title "Heroes of the Western World"....Thanks for looking and responding...CV