• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fade or printing error

7 posts in this topic

Can anyone answer this question. I have 2 issues of newmutans 98 but one has a captain America barcode that is less black and more of a gray and that comic the letters are less pink but the yellow is strong. I taken it to shops and gotten that it's a fake (but a real good fake) hahaha and other shops say its a print error and others say it is faded due to display ..??? I don't know what to think maybe send it in for grading and have the experts answer figure it out lol does anyone have a idea .? Thank you

20170706_103903.jpg

The fade (if there is one) does not look like it will drop the book from Near Mint. From our online perspective, it seems you have a NM book next to a (slightly better) NM book.

There can be significant variation in color throughout the print run of a single book. This is very noteable in books with orange or red covers. Books like Hulk 181, Secret Wars 8 and ASM 300 all have specimen that can range from a salmon orange color to blood red in the appropriate areas. This doesn't seem to effect the grade as it is a minor production issue (although some collectors apply a premium to the deeper colors). If this is an ink related production difference it shouldn't change the grade proper, just the overall eye appeal of the book as viewed by the collector and potentially the value they place upon it.

With regards to fading, I don't see that as a factor on your books. If it was you should see a uniform loss in color. One of your books is dull in the reds but the yellows are very deep while the other has washed out yellows with strong reds. The black in the UPC box that you mentioned looks to me more like the black ink was running low at printing (although this would likely appear book wide not in one focused area) or (more likely) got transferred to another book in the production stacks shortly there after. The ink transfer defect might be supported by some residual black ink on the back cover of the book. (I can't remember what color the NM 98 back cover is. If it's anything but black you should get a good idea if black ink was coming off the books at printing. I've had books with this washed out look in specific areas of black.

With regards to reproduction, do the covers to the 2 books feel the same in weight of paper? Meaning do they share the same properties of thickness and flexibility? If one feels Very different, maybe you have a fake. If they feel the same in paper specs, it likely isn't. To my understand (I may be wrong) the paper used on the late 80's early 90's books is very thin and not the sort of thing you feed through your ink jet printer to make copies. I was under the assumption that it was the type of paper that comes off of big rolls through the printer and is later cut and folded. The idea that you have a fake should be easily answered with some basic comparison of the interior and exterior of the book.

The only other thing that I have seen that you might check is, in my opinion, pressing related. I've been noticing on some books that are obviously pressed (probably poorly or improperly) a bleeding of skin tones and magentas through the covers. They seem blurred and more prominent on the inside covers. I've also seen pressed books that have a suspicious color loss in areas that may be related to the same poor pressing techniques although I can't confirm this as it is just an observation on my part.

Without seeing your books in person, I lean towards printing related. By all means send them to CGC and see if anybody gave you the right answer.

3 hours ago, CW said:

The only other thing that I have seen that you might check is, in my opinion, pressing related. I've been noticing on some books that are obviously pressed (probably poorly or improperly) a bleeding of skin tones and magentas through the covers. They seem blurred and more prominent on the inside covers. I've also seen pressed books that have a suspicious color loss in areas that may be related to the same poor pressing techniques although I can't confirm this as it is just an observation on my part.

Without seeing your books in person, I lean towards printing related. By all means send them to CGC and see if anybody gave you the right answer.

I've also seen color fade on some of my books after pressing. I mentioned this once on the Boards and got a unanimous Bah Humbug. It's nice to get validation from someone else. I concur with your other comments also that  it is probably not color fade. However, if it were color fade, CGC will definitely downgrade. A friend had a beautiful Hulk 102 that he sent in. In hand it looked flawless. It got a 9.0 . He called (in the old days you called for notes) and the only flaw was color fade, 9.6 otherwise. Personally, I stay away from color fade. IMO, it's very annoying to look at.

10 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've also seen color fade on some of my books after pressing. I mentioned this once on the Boards and got a unanimous Bah Humbug. It's nice to get validation from someone else. I concur with your other comments also that  it is probably not color fade. However, if it were color fade, CGC will definitely downgrade. A friend had a beautiful Hulk 102 that he sent in. In hand it looked flawless. It got a 9.0 . He called (in the old days you called for notes) and the only flaw was color fade, 9.6 otherwise. Personally, I stay away from color fade. IMO, it's very annoying to look at.

If it were an issue with the pressing, it is not fading. Poor pressing can remove ink, not cause fading.

On 8/6/2017 at 7:21 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Agreed. Traditional fading is a defect that will lower a grade significantly. I just don't think this is the case here.

On 8/7/2017 at 5:47 AM, joeypost said:

If it were an issue with the pressing, it is not fading. Poor pressing can remove ink, not cause fading.

Also agreed. Pressing doesn't fade a book. Only light, water and in cases chemical cleaners do that. It interestingly seems to lift blacks when done improperly, leaving a color pull effect and in a few cases I have seen, it bleeds some colors which does give the appearance of fade from the outside and bleed from the inside of a cover but usually on 1-2 colors and not all. Again I'm assuming this is not the norm with pressing but the process failing or being administered by a novice.

It amuses me, when I first joined the boards the word pressing was a 4 letter word here and considered by many as extensive restoration. Bob's experience demonstrates how much has changed since then in the public opinion. I'm totally off topic but I thought it was interesting.

Edited by CW