• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Appearances coded

28 posts in this topic

Just wondering if there's some "standard" we could be using for appearances.  I think we all agree there are some major differences in what is considered a "first appearance", and I don't think we're ready to tackle that debate until we have some standard for what is an "appearance".

So, I propose the following appearance codes:

C = Cover = character is visible on the front cover

P = Page = character is visible on exactly one story page

PP = Pages = character is visible on multiple story pages

Before using the appearance codes, we need to establish something about the date of publication.

D = Date = Year/Month of publication (as determined by the indicia)

Now, take a character and apply the appearance codes, sorting by the date.

So, for Superman, we would have:

Action Comics #1 = D1938/06:CPP

Action Comics #2 = D1938/07:PP

Action Comics #3 = D1938/08:PP

(... #4, #5, #6... all PP)

Action Comics #7 = D1938/12:CPP

Action Comics #8 = D1939/01:PP 

(...)

Superman #1 = D1939/06:CPP

Which helps collectors understand why Action Comics #7 has separated itself in the market, and where Superman #1 fits.

For Spider-man, we would have:

Amazing Fantasy #15 = D1962/08:CPP

Amazing Spider-man #1 = D1963/03:CPP

Which quickly shows collectors why Amazing Spider-man #1 was not the start of Spider-man.

For Wolverine, we would have:

Incredible Hulk #180 = D1974/10:P

Incredible Hulk #181 = D1974/11:CPP

Incredible Hulk #182 = D1974/12:PP

Which helps collectors understand what is going on with Incredible Hulk #180/#181.

For Darkseid, we would have:

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #134 = D1970/12:P

Forever People #1 = D1971/02:PP

Which helps collectors understand that a single page (panel) appearance was two months earlier than the story in Forever People #1, neither having a Darkseid cover appearance.

There are plenty of "wrenches" that we can throw into the discussion, such as obscured/partial appearances (the Doomsday fist panels) and the use of advertisements to help sell upcoming/concurrent comics.   For the obscured/partial appearances, we might be able to indicate those simply by using a small "p" for one-page story appearances that aren't fully visible.  For advertisements, I have purposefully defined C, P, and PP, in terms of the front cover and the story pages.  We could just use "Ad" whenever we want to indicate an advertisement.  Such as Superman being in More Fun Comics #31 = D1938/05:Ad

Thoughts?  (I'm accustomed to the mix of well-formed responses, negative-nancies, and self-serving-don't-mess-with-my-investments-traditionalists... so, feel free to be one (or more) of those and reply below.) (thumbsu

Edited by valiantman
fixed that Year/Month thing.

I love all this stuff. As a Spidey completist I made up an appearance key for my records. Will need to check but think it was:

F - full appearance 

C - cameo

S/F - single frame

R - reference (e.g. kid in a spidey shirt)

The key to success is a key you can remember :)

5 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

I love all this stuff. As a Spidey completist I made up an appearance key for my records. Will need to check but think it was:

F - full appearance 

C - cameo

S/F - single frame

R - reference (e.g. kid in a spidey shirt)

The key to success is a key you can remember :)

I have avoided "cameo" altogether, since it has been debated extensively.  If a character appeared on a story page, then that's an appearance of at least one "P" in the proposed appearance codes.  Whether "P" should also come in "cameo" or "non-cameo" flavors seems unnecessary.

Full appearance also seems like it would be hard to define.  Is a full appearance two pages?   Is it five pages?  I guess we could have "P" (exactly one page), "PP" (exactly two pages), and "PPP" (three or more pages), assuming someone wants to say that a two-page appearance isn't a full appearance, but that also seems unnecessary.

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

I have avoided "cameo" altogether, since it has been debated extensively.  If a character appeared on a story page, then that's an appearance of at least on "P" in the code.  Whether "P" should also come in "cameo" or "non-cameo" flavors seems unnecessary.

Actually I never liked cameo either come to think of it. I'll have a P instead in future. :wink:

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

Actually I never liked cameo either come to think of it. I'll have a P instead in future. :wink:

I'm starting really simple on purpose, because I'm sure the monster could grow, but there's something beautiful about C, P, and PP put in date order. :grin:

Just now, valiantman said:

I'm starting really simple on purpose, because I'm sure the monster could grow, but there's something beautiful about C, P, and PP put in date order. :grin:

How about:

C - cameo

R - reference 

A - appearance

P - page only

:whistle:

21 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

How about:

C - cameo

R - reference 

A - appearance

P - page only

:whistle:

That's funny because the book which has all of them would be the book you're labeling C R A P. lol

The views is what's broke lol still says 0 zero zilch nada denada  as much as war is good for 

Also as far as why I viewed and didn't reply is, I'm perfectly satisfied saying cameo and full appearance. lol

However I'm satisfied with whatever cgc says... I'm not :preach:that it matters at all too much, I'm :preach: to have to learn something new when what I have works fine.

I do however know some people aren't satisfied hence why I hesitated to post. I'm a sheep on this subject :ohnoez:

14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The views is what's broke lol still says 0 zero zilch nada denada  as much as war is good for 

Also as far as why I viewed and didn't reply is, I'm perfectly satisfied saying cameo and full appearance. lol

However I'm satisfied with whatever cgc says... I'm not :preach:that it matters at all too much, I'm :preach: to have to learn something new when what I have works fine.

I do however know some people aren't satisfied hence why I hesitated to post. I'm a sheep on this subject :ohnoez:

Image result for shaun the sheep gif

On 8/8/2017 at 12:06 AM, lizards2 said:

6 views and 0 replies?  Board software is working great! :banana:

:banana: Fast forward 12 months and..........

No change :p

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

*bump*  This topic from last year either isn't worth discussing further, or it was during the board software changes and wasn't worth discussing then. :grin:

Bofum? 

On 8/8/2017 at 4:05 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Fret not liz. Arch and Scott are on it

Image result for smash up computer gif

The more I look at that, the more I'm convinced that's exactly what they look like hm

On 8/7/2017 at 6:00 PM, valiantman said:

Just wondering if there's some "standard" we could be using for appearances.  I think we all agree there are some major differences in what is considered a "first appearance", and I don't think we're ready to tackle that debate until we have some standard for what is an "appearance".

So, I propose the following appearance codes:

C = Cover = character is visible on the front cover

P = Page = character is visible on exactly one story page

PP = Pages = character is visible on multiple story pages

Before using the appearance codes, we need to establish something about the date of publication.

D = Date = Month/Year of publication (as determined by the indicia)

Now, take a character and apply the appearance codes, sorting by the date.

So, for Superman, we would have:

Action Comics #1 = D1938/06:CPP

Action Comics #2 = D1938/07:PP

Action Comics #3 = D1938/08:PP

(... #4, #5, #6... all PP)

Action Comics #7 = D1938/12:CPP

Action Comics #8 = D1939/01:PP 

(...)

Superman #1 = D1939/06:CPP

Which helps collectors understand why Action Comics #7 has separated itself in the market, and where Superman #1 fits.

For Spider-man, we would have:

Amazing Fantasy #15 = D1962/08:CPP

Amazing Spider-man #1 = D1963/03:CPP

Which quickly shows collectors why Amazing Spider-man #1 was not the start of Spider-man.

For Wolverine, we would have:

Incredible Hulk #180 = D1974/10:P

Incredible Hulk #181 = D1974/11:CPP

Incredible Hulk #182 = D1974/12:PP

Which helps collectors understand what is going on with Incredible Hulk #180/#181.

For Darkseid, we would have:

Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #134 = D1970/12:P

Forever People #1 = D1971/02:PP

Which helps collectors understand that a single page (panel) appearance was two months earlier than the story in Forever People #1, neither having a Darkseid cover appearance.

There are plenty of "wrenches" that we can throw into the discussion, such as obscured/partial appearances (the Doomsday fist panels) and the use of advertisements to help sell upcoming/concurrent comics.   For the obscured/partial appearances, we might be able to indicate those simply by using a small "p" for one-page story appearances that aren't fully visible.  For advertisements, I have purposefully defined C, P, and PP, in terms of the front cover and the story pages.  We could just use "Ad" whenever we want to indicate an advertisement.  Such as Superman being in More Fun Comics #31 = D1938/05:Ad

Thoughts?  (I'm accustomed to the mix of well-formed responses, negative-nancies, and self-serving-don't-mess-with-my-investments-traditionalists... so, feel free to be one (or more) of those and reply below.) (thumbsu

Well you state MM/YYYY yet display YYYY/MM so you've lost the mentally challenged already.