• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sales Tax on Comic Sale

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I always thought that it had to be over a certain amount for Craigslist and eBay listings to have to pay taxes on it... But maybe I'm thinking of income tax or something... Instead of sales tax which may be different lol

Well - you realistically have to pay taxes on any gain.  Paypal will not issue a 1099 unless you hit specific requirements, but that does not mean you do not need to pay taxes without one.

16 hours ago, joeypost said:

When buying a comic on EBay (from a seller in your state) how many of you would argue about the sales tax after a best offer has been made and accepted?

As a buyer - I would think it depends on how the listing was worded - and if you have the listing set to add in the sales tax for a specific state.  Kind of like shipping - unless there is a specific negotiation in the offer/counter process - the shipping is extra.  However, most buyers may not realize that tax is extra when going the best offer route. If BIN or auction - it is in there as a separate line item when purchasing, so obvious.

As as seller - I just consider this part of the costs and pay it. Simplifies the listings and puts the effort more on me to recognize when an offer is going to my state so I can figure out if I want to adjust the haggling.

Unless a state specifically has no sales tax (Oregon, for instance) you are required by law to collect sales tax on all retail sales (though some states exempt specific products).  Even if you are selling out of your house, but have made it an ongoing concern (as opposed to a one-time collection sale) you are technically supposed to have a business license and collect sales tax.  In fact, TECHNICALLY, you are supposed to collect tax even on out-of-state sales, but nobody does, since Congress has never been able to agree on a uniform system of collecting internet taxes (it was supposed to have been passed at least twice by now, but each time got delayed).  This is one of the big gripes Brick & Mortars have... we are required by law to collect tax, but internet sellers are able to be exempt simply through lack of enforcement... a big disadvantage for B&Ms.  Amazon is now required to collect sales tax from any state in which they operate a physical location (such as a shipping warehouse).  As Amazon expands, more and more sales are being levied this tax.

12 hours ago, Columbia Comics said:

I charge sales tax for sales within SC since I have a retail license.  Fortunately I make zero sales within SC....so no tax for them.

But I have...on occasion, in the past...made a sale within SC and they paid the tax.  No one really griped.

Brock

Yea - what is up with that.  I send a ton of packages to Florida, some to NC but can't remember the last package going to SC. 

So let's see if I got this ? I pay  tax when I buy the book. I pay Tax when I sell the book. I don't get money back for gas getting the book or money back when use gas and time sending the book. I need a drink and its 9am:whatthe:

Edited by woowoo

When I used to set up at local shows, I would report my total sales and essentially eat the sales tax, since it wasn't worth it to me to calculate the sales tax and make change.

I haven't sold in eBay in a year now, but when I did, I included a blurb about sales tax is due on sales within CA. Since I have a CA reseller's license, it's my responsibility to collect and remit the applicable sales taxes on all of my intrastate sales. I also selected within eBay the settings that allowed for be charged on my transactions, so if someone hit a BIN or made a best offer that was accepted, the sales tax would automatically be calculated on the final price and applied to the invoice.

2 hours ago, woowoo said:

So let's see if I got this ? I pay  tax when I buy the book. I pay Tax when I sell the book. I don't get money back for gas getting the book or money back when use gas and time sending the book. I need a drink and its 9am:whatthe:

You pay tax when you buy the book, unless you have a resale license.

You collect tax when you sell the book.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I was told if I sell a high $ book say 100k I would be tax on that money as a private seller?

10 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Yea - what is up with that.  I send a ton of packages to Florida, some to NC but can't remember the last package going to SC. 

I dunno...seems like there would be buyers in every state, just ones like CA and FL and NY that have a larger population would have a larger representation.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:07 PM, joeypost said:

hm would be best if it were in my description then.

If seller is any kind of corp structure, sales tax should be disclosed or seller needs to have a cert/license to collect sales tax within same state.  Here are some rules for your particular state:

https://www.taxjar.com/states/florida-sales-tax-online/#do-you-have-sales-tax-nexus-in-florida

1 hour ago, Columbia Comics said:
12 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I dunno...seems like there would be buyers in every state, just ones like CA and FL and NY that have a larger population would have a larger representation.

I can't remember anything going to South Carolina either.  Plenty to North Carolina.

20 hours ago, shadroch said:

You pay sales tax when you buy the book (assume B&M or tax-obedient online seller).

You collect and then pay to state collected sales tax when you sell the book too (even if at a loss).

And then rinse-lather-repeat.

Q: If you sell on Ebay via PP, do they pay sales tax on the FVFs they collect, or is that taxed some other way?

11 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I can't remember anything going to South Carolina either.  Plenty to North Carolina.

I'm thinking it has to be directly related to the inability to read down in SC:flamed:

Edited by 1Cool

41 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Delaware.  No state sales tax.  :acclaim:

High income tax.  :tonofbricks:

Same here - we have all the folks from Washington, Idaho, Nevada and Californica swooping in to avoid sales tax, and vacationers pay nothing to support the infrastructure, so everything is on the backs of the Oregonians who actually pay income tax and property tax.  Add in the state's generous unemployment benefits and social welfare programs, and you've got a steady stream of never-do-wells moving in to suck on the teat.  Sales tax has been on the referendums for years, and we keep voting it down.  :sorry:

I've  been toying with the idea of moving just across the Nevada border to Bumfuk,  where there is no income tax, and doing all my shopping in Oregon.

31 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Same here - we have all the folks from Washington, Idaho, Nevada and Californica swooping in to avoid sales tax, and vacationers pay nothing to support the infrastructure, so everything is on the backs of the Oregonians who actually pay income tax and property tax.  Add in the state's generous unemployment benefits and social welfare programs, and you've got a steady stream of never-do-wells moving in to suck on the teat.  Sales tax has been on the referendums for years, and we keep voting it down.  :sorry:

Funny, but here in Delaware we consider it an advantage that people from neighboring New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland come here to do their shopping and spend their money.  It's good for local businesses.

This seems like an ebay problem they need to fix if Best offer prices are not automatically adjusting the sales tax to the correct amount.  So if a $100 item taxed at 5% ($105) was negotiated down to say $60 ebay should automatically adjust the sales tax down to $3 ($63).  But if it was still charged at the original price sales tax of $5 ($65) I can see this as annoying but hey, if I talked the guy down to $60 from $100 that's not bad, I'll eat the $2.

I would only argue if it was a more significant difference to me.  Say 5% on a $500-1000 purchase where the difference between our best offer negotiations were closer to the differences in taxes and then finding out I still owe $25-50 more than what I was expecting I'd be a bit miffed.  I would like to base my negotiations on the total cost including all taxes and shipping.

So if ebay isn't keeping track then it's another burden placed on the seller to deal with if a customer gets surprised by it.  just my 2c+tax

3 hours ago, namisgr said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Funny, but here in Delaware we consider it an advantage that people from neighboring New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland come here to do their shopping and spend their money.  It's good for local businesses.

There is some truth to that.  I suppose in some trickle-down way, some of that money goes to fund the state government and infrastructure.  I'm struggling with how it goes beyond basically a retail sales tax subsidy, as most of those jobs aren't really high wages.  Maybe great for business owners, but I'm not sure about the low wage workers.  Bah - now I'm starting to sound like a communist.