• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 4
4 4

134 posts in this topic

So how does anyone come up with grades for these two, not having them in hand and so not knowing whether a spine is split or there's really a certain edge tear?  

11 minutes ago, namisgr said:

So how does anyone come up with grades for these two, not having them in hand and so not knowing whether a spine is split or there's really a certain edge tear?  

Well, I can assure you that if there were any notes on the label, such as 'cover detached' or 'centerfold detached', I would tell you.  I would also comment on any kind of major flaw that wasn't visible in the scan, like spine is split 3/4 of the way up the book.  

Although still very important, I wouldn't be describing any minor flaws like 1/2" tear on right side, 1" spine split at top, etc...

The saving grace will always be that you all are going off the same scan and the same information that I am giving you.  So, it should still be considered an even playing field. (thumbsu 

With all of that being said, you still can't grade a book from a scan.  To properly grade, you have to have the book in hand.  

In this case, this is just an exercise of fun. :headbang: 

1 hour ago, thirdgreenham said:

Well, I can assure you that if there were any notes on the label, such as 'cover detached' or 'centerfold detached', I would tell you.  I would also comment on any kind of major flaw that wasn't visible in the scan, like spine is split 3/4 of the way up the book.  

Although still very important, I wouldn't be describing any minor flaws like 1/2" tear on right side, 1" spine split at top, etc...

The saving grace will always be that you all are going off the same scan and the same information that I am giving you.  So, it should still be considered an even playing field. (thumbsu 

With all of that being said, you still can't grade a book from a scan.  To properly grade, you have to have the book in hand.  

In this case, this is just an exercise of fun. :headbang: 

The worst part is not knowing book from case. But as you say, we're all looking at the same pics.

:juggle: