• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Summer Featured Auction 2017
1 1

363 posts in this topic

On 9/20/2017 at 6:44 AM, Andahaion said:

Interesting time going through my first CLink auction as a potential buyer of OA (I've only bid before on OA over at Heritage, where I got my tail kicked in).  There were two pieces I was interested in: the Shane Davis/Sandra Hope Green Lantern #36 cover, and the Jim Lee/Tim Townsend Superman #215 half splash.  The Davis/Hope cover landed smack in the middle of my estimate, so I'm happy with my process there.

The Superman piece, however, is interesting for a few reasons.  I know it was listed on CLink before the auction with a BIN of $5K.  The site also showed a pending "offer" at that time of $4,020.  I use quotes here because I'm not exactly sure if that offer was real or not.  So going into the auction I had an initial belief that it would likely take about $4K to win it.  I had my doubts at that price, however.  As the auction was winding down last night I was thinking of putting in a bid, but then when it didn't hit reserve I started to have doubts even at $3K.  The page didn't sell and is now listed with a BIN of $3K.  That said, and someone more knowledgeable on Lee art is welcome to chime in here, it's my thought that the page should perhaps be valued somewhere in the $1,500-$2,000 range.  

I know folks here like to say that making mistakes is the "tuition" one pays into the hobby, but I'm really trying to balance getting art I love and not make a significant financial mistake.  I suppose we all are, yes?  At one point earlier in the auction, I literally wrote to a friend that I would be happy to pay $3K for the Superman page...but I suppose it's funny/interesting how things can change within a few short days.

Don't have much more to add, just wanted to post my experience for posterity.  Cheers.

2ish years ago I offered the owner of it at the time $2500..... He told me he had "way more than 2500 into the piece", and he passed. Fair enough.  That was the last I heard of it until this auction. I think youre valuation of 1500-2000 is a little low.  Thats still a ton of Lee art for your dollar. As  I said a few years ago, I still think 2500 is right on the money for a valuation. And considering that top panel is splashy action shot of Supes.  It's a great value... It's just too bad this series was not received well enough for it to also have the nostalgia factor driving up it's price.

Edited by Khazano

On 9/20/2017 at 11:44 AM, DTM700 said:

24 hours is too long in my opinion. I feel it was handled appropriately. Does it stink it happened? Sure. But CL responded VERY quickly to the matter.

If there's a technical issue in the future and it affects something you're bidding on, my advice would be to wait until a resolution is announced.

Yeah, there's no solution that would be fair to everyone. But it's a matter of degree.

And clearly, not anyone's fault that this happened. Just sucks for the consignor, who comes out the biggest loser.

1 hour ago, Khazano said:

2ish years ago I offered the owner of it at the time $2500..... He told me he had "way more than 2500 into the piece", and he passed. Fair enough.  That was the last I heard of it until this auction. I think youre valuation of 1500-2000 is a little low.  Thats still a ton of Lee art for your dollar. As  I said a few years ago, I still think 2500 is right on the money for a valuation. And considering that top panel is splashy action shot of Supes.  It's a great value... It's just too bad this series was not received well enough for it to also have the nostalgia factor driving up it's price.

You won't get any argument from me at a $2,500 valuation.  That seems fair.  I'm just trying to put the pieces together.  

I agree with you that it's too bad the arc wasn't better received.  It's an odd quirk of comic book OA...work seemingly just as well executed (from the same artist) being valued like a third of comparable pieces based primarily on storyline.  Specifically what comes to mind is the Hush half splash that went on Heritage this summer for $9,500.  And, I've opined in recent posts that the For Tomorrow art is on par with Lee's best from this period.

I get it though, it's comics.  It's just when my mind enters "art" mode, something gets lost in translation when it comes to OA as opposed to other art I collect.  Oh well, I'll eventually get my Lee piece, just a matter of time.  I'm in no rush, the market keeps me heavily entertained.  Lots to learn too.  Cheers.