• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Summer Featured Auction 2017
1 1

363 posts in this topic

Going forward, is this the standard settlement for Kirby OA sold through CLink? hm

Per the above's item description:

"In honor of Jack Kirby's Centennial, and the generous work that Jillian Kirby hAas done in her grandfather's name, the consignor of this artwork has informed ComicLink that he intends to make a donation through Kirby4Heroes to the Hero Initiative in the amount of at least 5% of the final price of this artwork. "

33 minutes ago, O. said:

Looks like CLink's back in the Kirby game:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2017aug%26itemtype%3D1%26Artist%3DJACK%20KIRBY%23Item_1196984&id=1196984

Must say that CLink's upcoming auction contains a ton more pieces of interest to me than the current HA one!

boom goes the dynamite 

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:

boom goes the dynamite 

This is an interesting compromise .It will also be interesting to see if other auction houses (and consigners ) agree to do the same.

13 minutes ago, rrichards said:

This is an interesting compromise .It will also be interesting to see if other auction houses (and consigners ) agree to do the same.

That's just the public aspect of this compromise. We don't know if the Seller also has a side deal with the Kirby estate for a percentage. Whoever the next owner of the pieces is, though, will have clear title on it.

9 minutes ago, O. said:

@mtlevy1 I'd say at least $300k; cracking $450k wouldn't be too shocking 2c

Wow! Really? 

I assume this is small art, size doesn't seem to be listed in the description at all (odd), $300k would be approaching double the highest recorded Kirby cover auction sale I can find, and all the six figure covers were large art.  $300k is over 4 times the highest sale price for a small art Kirby cover at auction, and that's the low end of the range above. 

I can't find the thread on this forum with all the highest recorded sales right now but, wow!

It's small art.  It's a lovely cover (much prettier in B&W than I thought it would be) and though it's a montage, it's done incredibly well.  My model for pricing would be to look at the similar Thor 154 and then double it.  Has the FF twice (sort of) and that great supporting cast.  Wouldn't be surprised at $150K+ but the further north it goes, the more surprised I'd be.  Great move, I think, by the seller to donate to HEROES.  Much respect. 

It's a great-looking auction.  I'm happy I consigned stuff. 

13 minutes ago, glendgold said:

It's small art.  It's a lovely cover (much prettier in B&W than I thought it would be) and though it's a montage, it's done incredibly well.  My model for pricing would be to look at the similar Thor 154 and then double it.  Has the FF twice (sort of) and that great supporting cast.  Wouldn't be surprised at $150K+ but the further north it goes, the more surprised I'd be.  Great move, I think, by the seller to donate to HEROES.  Much respect. 

It's a great-looking auction.  I'm happy I consigned stuff. 

That's a great way of putting it... "model for pricing would be to look at the similar Thor 154 and then double it. " That's what I was thinking. It's a better cover than the Thor and a very nice FF example. 

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

That's a great way of putting it... "model for pricing would be to look at the similar Thor 154 and then double it. " That's what I was thinking. It's a better cover than the Thor and a very nice FF example. 

Great discussion on various pricing methods!

On top of the above, I threw in the FF cover OA rarity factor, Sinnott inks cachet, and Galactus/Surfer premium. Also, decent panel pages from these issues can go for around $30k, to which I applied a rough 10x valuation formula.

And lastly, when I first saw this item, the voice in my head said $300k... :nyah:

15 minutes ago, O. said:

And lastly, when I first saw this item, the voice in my head said $300k... :nyah:

That's usually the voice that's right. I ignore it too often. 

I REALLY like the this cover in original art form!  It never really registered that strongly in print form, perhaps because of the relative non importance of the central figure, but there is so much to like about all the of the elements taken as a whole when viewed in it's original form.  No vested interest in this, but I guess if I was in the market for a cool Kirby/Sinnott FF cover, this one would be pretty tempting.

Scott

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Wow! Really? 

I assume this is small art, size doesn't seem to be listed in the description at all (odd), $300k would be approaching double the highest recorded Kirby cover auction sale I can find, and all the six figure covers were large art.  $300k is over 4 times the highest sale price for a small art Kirby cover at auction, and that's the low end of the range above. 

I can't find the thread on this forum with all the highest recorded sales right now but, wow!

The Fantastic Four 95 cover did sell at Hake's for $95K in 2013.

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/81110/JACK-KIRBY-FANTASTIC-FOUR-95-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-ORIGINAL-ART

Mike

3 minutes ago, mxs7 said:

The Fantastic Four 95 cover did sell at Hake's for $95K in 2013.

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/81110/JACK-KIRBY-FANTASTIC-FOUR-95-COMIC-BOOK-COVER-ORIGINAL-ART

Mike

I always forget to check Hakes. Thanks for that. 

Yeah. That will top $200K. That has everything you want in a Kirby.

1. Classic FF period, or really close

2. Sinnott inks

3. Kirby hardware galore

4. Cover

5. All four of the FF; plus Galactus and the Surfer. Plus Crystal from the Inhumans for an added bonus.

6. Great composition and aethsthetics

7. Imprimatur from the Kirby estate

UPDATE: Yeah. The FF 76 over sold for $170K.

So, I think my $200K guess is probably pretty close.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=975091&showprice=1

Edited by PhilipB2k17

At first glance I thought it was a little meh but the more I look at it the more I like it.    Someone out there has to be drooling at the chance to own it.    I agree with the 200k+ estimate though I am just throwing darts from the cheap seats.

Edited by Bronty