• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink Summer Featured Auction 2017
1 1

363 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

UPDATE: Yeah. The FF 76 over sold for $170K.

So, I think my $200K guess is probably pretty close.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?id=975091&showprice=1

Was that an auction result? 

$150 to 200 is a good range, but I don't think that was from the auctions I think it was an exchange sale. 

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Was that an auction result? 

$150 to 200 is a good range, but I don't think that was from the auctions I think it was an exchange sale. 

It was a private sale (don't think it even hit the website), a couple/few years ago IIRC.  

As for the FF #77...well, it reminds me of a conversation I had just the other day with a collector friend about the Ditko Strange Tales page in the upcoming Heritage sale - he said that it's a good, but not great page, that will fetch entirely too much money because the buyer will feel he "needs" a Ditko Dr. Strange page in his collection and they are so hard to come by.  Similarly, the FF #77 will probably fetch more than it should be worth, simply because the next least expensive Kirby FF cover with Surfer and Galactus will probably cost twice as much (not to mention, any cover from Kirby's FF run is hard to come by anyway, plus the fact that The Cabal will want to set a relatively high floor on this one).

3 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

It was a private sale (don't think it even hit the website), a couple/few years ago IIRC.  

As for the FF #77...well, it reminds me of a conversation I had just the other day with a collector friend about the Ditko Strange Tales page in the upcoming Heritage sale - he said that it's a good, but not great page, that will fetch entirely too much money because the buyer will feel he "needs" a Ditko Dr. Strange page in his collection and they are so hard to come by.  Similarly, the FF #77 will probably fetch more than it should be worth, simply because the next least expensive Kirby FF cover with Surfer and Galactus will probably cost twice as much (not to mention, any cover from Kirby's FF run is hard to come by anyway, plus the fact that The Cabal will want to set a relatively high floor on this one).

PQE0XS5.gif

9 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Wow! Really? 

I assume this is small art, size doesn't seem to be listed in the description at all (odd), $300k would be approaching double the highest recorded Kirby cover auction sale I can find, and all the six figure covers were large art.  $300k is over 4 times the highest sale price for a small art Kirby cover at auction, and that's the low end of the range above. 

I can't find the thread on this forum with all the highest recorded sales right now but, wow!

That estimate is much higher than I would have guessed.  I would put it more in the $80k range which is just a guess.  It is not one of the more iconic covers but who knows how high it will go.  It has been a while since I remember seeing a Kirby FF cover come up.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

That estimate is much higher than I would have guessed.  I would put it more in the $80k range which is just a guess.  It is not one of the more iconic covers but who knows how high it will go.  It has been a while since I remember seeing a Kirby FF cover come up.

No way it's only 80k.  Especially when those Thor covers went for more than 100k.  If it showed up on eBay for 80k, and it was the real deal, I would find a way to come up with 80k to buy it myself!    

My guess is a bit less than 300k.  I think around 250k.  

9 hours ago, Flambit said:

No way it's only 80k.  Especially when those Thor covers went for more than 100k.  If it showed up on eBay for 80k, and it was the real deal, I would find a way to come up with 80k to buy it myself!    

I'd wager several dealers would gladly pay $80k for it. I agree. 

The part of prognostication on these pieces that makes it very tough to guess the final outcome is how very thin the air (and the bidding pool) gets when you crack six figures. 

On most pieces, even in the mid-5 figure range, you can get pretty close to the mark. However, when you cross over into the really special stuff, it's almost less important what the piece is, and what other stuff like it has sold for, than who is involved in the bidding and how badly they want the piece.  All of us can agree, and there can be dozens of us, that we love the cover but unless we're also willing to throw down starter house money on the cover it won't move the needle an iota. But, if you get two guys with the means and the desire into the action on the piece, the past comps and "should go for's" all fall away and we can hit a truly ludicrous (relatively) number. 

Edited by comix4fun

11 hours ago, Flambit said:

Yeah, at $80K, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and get it repaired/restored.  Post-restoration, I would think you could very easily get $125K for it, and quite possibly $150-$200K from the right buyer.  Maybe even more to someone who "had to have" a Surfer/Galactus Kirby FF cover, but, I wouldn't bet the Baxter Building on that.

$250-$300K sounds nuts to me.  That's where Ditko ASM splashes and twice-up Romita ASM covers have changed hands over the past year.  You could probably get 2 pre-#100 small art ASM covers for that amount.  Many key/classic Marvel covers wouldn't even fetch that much money, so I don't think a small art, middle of the pack (at best) Kirby FF cover would.  Or, at least it shouldn't, IMO. 2c 

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, at $80K, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and get it repaired/restored.  Post-restoration, I would think you could very easily get $125K for it, and quite possibly $150-$200K from the right buyer.  Maybe even more to someone who "had to have" a Surfer/Galactus Kirby FF cover, but, I wouldn't bet the Baxter Building on that.

$250-$300K sounds nuts to me.  That's where Ditko ASM splashes and twice-up Romita ASM covers have changed hands over the past year.  You could probably get 2 pre-#100 small art ASM covers for that amount.  Many key/classic Marvel covers wouldn't even fetch that much money, so I don't think a small art, middle of the pack (at best) Kirby FF cover would.  Or, at least it shouldn't, IMO. 2c 

That sounds logical and it's exactly the kind of analysis I'd run myself through before trying to wager where this cover would end up, and it usually costs me lunch. lol

Perhaps the additional variable of the recent "reluctance" on behalf of sellers and auction houses regarding consigning/listing Kirby art...for some reason :whistle:...and the resultant dearth of high quality covers available at auction over the last year, will come into play in an irrationally exuberant way.  I agree with you on the "shoulds" of this piece, for sure.

It's almost impossible to predict what will happen when collectors get pent up and finally get to release their frustration on an auction lot. 

Edited by comix4fun

Let's remember that Kirby surfer panel went 50k.    A better panel might go more?    A cover, surely more?    

I think those Romita small ASM covers in the 80s and 90s that Gene is referencing frankly aren't that exciting.    This is perhaps not AMAZING but it's a Kirby ff cover with nice shots of he team, surfer, and galactus.    

It will be interesting to see where it lands but I see it as 150+ for sure.   Maybe 200.  

80 or 100 won't happen IMO.   

6 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Let's remember that Kirby surfer panel went 50k.    A better panel might go more?    A cover, surely more?    

I think those Romita small ASM covers in the 80s and 90s that Gene is referencing frankly aren't that exciting.    This is perhaps not AMAZING but it's a Kirby ff cover with nice shots of he team, surfer, and galactus.    

It will be interesting to see where it lands but I see it as 150+ for sure.   Maybe 200.  

80 or 100 won't happen IMO.   

Was that one of the pages from FF 55? I can't remember. I do the same incremental math comparisons all the time and I convince myself there's some scientific formula to these ultimately emotional purchases. Science and stats get me in the ballpark but ultimately get wrecked (in terms of hitting the mark with any precision) when at least two dudes, willing to do whatever it takes to plug a hole in their existential angst with pen and ink they remember from a simpler time...before Camus came calling, decide that it must be theirs. 

Edited by comix4fun

Yeah I hear you.     Ultimately we're all just pulling numbers out of our azzes.    Some are tight, some are loose.   Whether I'm talking about the numbers or the azzes I'll leave to your discretion.

On 8/9/2017 at 1:39 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah. That will top $200K. That has everything you want in a Kirby.

{snip}

7. Imprimatur from the Kirby estate

Really?  I didn't see that anywhere in the description.

Not sure if I saw the subtext but yeah if the family is accepting a donation on their behalf from part proceeds that's as good as validating the sale

Edited by Bronty

FF77 was my first 12 center - not sure how I came by it - but at the time I thought it was quite old - this was probably 1978 ish.

The book also was visible through the handle of one of my long boxes for many years (it was a beat copy) so I have a soft spot for it but feels like it will go over $100K and the air is a bit thin for me up there

Will plan on putting in a thrill bid for sure

Mark