• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM The Killing Joke

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I'm wondering if this copy of the killing joke might be a good candidate to have cleaned and graded. 

I see one spine tick.  Other than that quite a bit of fingerprints, and a white mark near the spine on the rear that I'm hoping cleaning will eliminate.  

What grade might I expect after having it cleaned?

Direct Links:

wU965dx.jpg

nvQw1S4.jpg

3 hours ago, Ace Bandage said:

Hi all, 

I'm wondering if this copy of the killing joke might be a good candidate to have cleaned and graded. 

I see one spine tick.  Other than that quite a bit of fingerprints, and a white mark near the spine on the rear that I'm hoping cleaning will eliminate.  

What grade might I expect after having it cleaned?

Direct Links:

wU965dx.jpg

nvQw1S4.jpg

As it sits I'd grade it a 7.5. A press and some cleaning could bring that up another point maybe. The corners aren't terrible. I do see what looks like a bit of overhang and the fingerprints you can probably clean yourself. I use a soft rag and breathe on the fingerprint then wipe it off. I have this book in a 9.8 and I have to say I think it's one of the coolest looking covers in comics.

56 minutes ago, poppy73 said:

As it sits I'd grade it a 7.5. A press and some cleaning could bring that up another point maybe. The corners aren't terrible. I do see what looks like a bit of overhang and the fingerprints you can probably clean yourself. I use a soft rag and breathe on the fingerprint then wipe it off. I have this book in a 9.8 and I have to say I think it's one of the coolest looking covers in comics.

Thanks @poppy73.   How big of a deal is an overhang grade wise?

As far a the overhang's impact on the grade it's hard for me to say exactly. I'm just basing it on personal experience and there are board members who could provide a more seasoned guess. If I had to venture a guess I'd say a point. That combined with the other issues makes my guess a 7.5 IMHO.

I'm thinking way higher then 7.5.  With a good finger print cleaning you could get a 9.2 in my opinion.  One big spine tick will definitely drop it from the 9.8/9.6 range but the book is really sharp and doesn't have the usual crease along the spine from being opened too far.  I'd avoid getting it graded due to the grading cost and what a 9.2 goes for right now.  I always grade this book in the 9.6/9.8 but any lower gets sold raw.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I'm thinking way higher then 7.5.  With a good finger print cleaning you could get a 9.2 in my opinion.  One big spine tick will definitely drop it from the 9.8/9.6 range but the book is really sharp and doesn't have the usual crease along the spine from being opened too far.  I'd avoid getting it graded due to the grading cost and what a 9.2 goes for right now.  I always grade this book in the 9.6/9.8 but any lower gets sold raw.

@1Cool    For clarity, is the big spine tick you're referencing the tick on the front or the big mark on the back that looks like a tick?

7 minutes ago, Ace Bandage said:

@1Cool    For clarity, is the big spine tick you're referencing the tick on the front or the big mark on the back that looks like a tick?

Back cover has one big spine tick.  Front has a bit of warping at the spine which is common on squarebound books but I don't see any definite spine ticks.

On 8/9/2017 at 3:03 PM, 1Cool said:

Back cover has one big spine tick.  Front has a bit of warping at the spine which is common on squarebound books but I don't see any definite spine ticks.

@1Cool and @poppy73 , I finally got the chance to wipe clean and take camera pictures of this Killing Joke issue you previously looked at.  The scanned pictures you previously looked at portrays  the major spine ticks as a break when it really isn't.   Below are camera-taken pictures of the issues previously identified along with a new one.  I'm trying to figure out if pressing would get this to 9.8 range or if I should just keep the book raw.

1.  The major tick from on the back.  As you can see, it does not break color, but it is deep.

Direct Link: http://imgur.com/jIpmCpL

8Tpdhkyh.jpg?1

2. The tick on the front. Do you think pressing would fix?

Direct Link:  http://imgur.com/jIpmCpL

jIpmCpLh.jpg

3. A bend across the back along the bottom.  Do you think pressing would fix this?

Direct Link:  http://imgur.com/0ILBHvg

0ILBHvgh.jpg

4.  The overhang in the rear.  

Direct link:  http://imgur.com/YckmnLh

YckmnLhh.jpg

Edited by Ace Bandage

That book will not see 9.8.  I think at best, if the ticks press out, would be around 9.2-9.4.  I don't think the over hang will hurt the grade.  Did the cleaning get rid of the white mark on the back?

CGC can be a bit tough on this book.  Trust me.

55 minutes ago, aszumilo said:

That book will not see 9.8.  I think at best, if the ticks press out, would be around 9.2-9.4.  I don't think the over hang will hurt the grade.  Did the cleaning get rid of the white mark on the back?

CGC can be a bit tough on this book.  Trust me.

@aszumilo,  OOps..  my last post didn't include the new (non-scanned) picture of the "mark" on the back.     Here it is.  The soft cloth got rid of the fingerprints and as you can see below that mark is a non-color breaking tick. 

8Tpdhkyh.jpg?1