• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Haruo Nakajimi, R.I.P.

9 posts in this topic

Original Godzilla suit actor Haruo Nakajimi has passed away  at 88. He was not only the original Godzilla, but the majority of monsters in all of Toho Studios kaiju eiga films from '54 to '72. He did an amazing job of infusing each monster with a different personality and brought joy to generations of kids. My personal favorite was probably the frenzied, flesh eating Gaira. R.I.P. :|

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/world/asia/godzilla-actor-haruo-nakajima-japan.html

gaira_1966_02.jpg

Cool!

I should’ve been more aggressive about getting one when he was at a CA con several years back. He made a very rare appearance in Boston a few years ago as well, but it was an Anime con and tickets were sky high. I couldn’t justify the cost just to shake hands and get an autograph. I did manage to get a signed photo from a local dealer, though I do wish I could have met him. He wrote an autobiography years ago, but its in Japanese.

29 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Rich Henn and some other smart people had the foresight to get him to sign some books.  Here is mine:

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=15431&GSub=631

I got one a few years back When he was appearing with the big suit actor from each era. Luckily Ty saved this from Kahalo for me. I think that is one of the reasons I love this particular book more than most of my SS books.

IMG_0853.PNG