Double Cover Error
2 2

9 posts in this topic

2 posts

Hi there, i have been working in buying some issues for my collection and I bought this Wonder Woman 15 from 1988 for 3 dlls, when i opened it, i noticed that it has a double cover, so i know it multiplicates its value, but i dont know how much, any guess, or do I really need to send it to CGC to have an estimate?

 

JG6B3390.thumb.JPG.281db7dd39a2ee209ec92c4c9eec2aec.JPGJG6B3391.thumb.JPG.7788d401404a5edc2e2d6f66283761d4.JPG

Edited by katorga12
Misplace of words

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,641 posts

CGC will grade each cover, note in on the label, and give it an overall grade of the higher of the two. However, not sure if it's worth sending to CGC as the book appears to be in rough shape, not a key, poor page quality, etc. Unless it's a major key, I don't think double covers go for big multiples. DO a keyword search on E-Bay for double cover and see what you can find. Make sure you look in the Sold category, asking prices on E-Bay are often unrealistic. You paid 3 dollars, maybe it's worth 5 or 6 dollars, not a big score here. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,140 posts

Its not worth having it graded. If you get lucky, it might go for $10 on ebay. Almost definitely  no more than that. I've bought some 80s and 90s double covers for less than you paid.

My biggest concern is why you paid $3 for a beatup copper age book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts
9 hours ago, shadroch said:

Its not worth having it graded. If you get lucky, it might go for $10 on ebay. Almost definitely  no more than that. I've bought some 80s and 90s double covers for less than you paid.

My biggest concern is why you paid $3 for a beatup copper age book. 

Great thanks for the info. Well as to why i bought it, I'm a 90's Valiant fan, I have read all of it and collected around 45% of all Valiant comics, i'm no expert but looking to that. So when it comes to DC i havent read that much, so i was in Vegas and entered an antique store, i know that most of the things there are overpriced but i dont care, im not a rich guy, i live in Mexico and buy comics in english and sell them here in Mexico, good profits :D , anyway i prefered to buy that overpriced comics along other ones from the copper and silver age, instead o letting them rot in the store, they were on the far side of the store around a corner and very well hidden, so I think i saved them and now i can sell it here in Mexico.

If i can double it, sell it at $6 or $10 bucks I already made a win for me, so I don't I lost anything.

So thanks for sharing that info and good luck with comic research :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35,599 posts
On 8/8/2017 at 2:23 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

CGC will grade each cover, note in on the label, and give it an overall grade of the higher of the two.

No.

The overall grade is what the book will grade out as.  Not the highest of the two covers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,641 posts
1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

No.

The overall grade is what the book will grade out as.  Not the highest of the two covers.

I've only seen one example of a double cover that did not have an overall grade of the higher of the two. In that case the page quality was tan or something and the overall grade was actually lower than either cover. So perhaps you are correct but in most cases, it is the higher of the two covers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,140 posts

In general, the grade of the highest cover will be what the book receives, but if there are conditions within the book,- torn pages, a stain, coupon missing or filled out, the book will be treated like every other book and judged as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,071 posts
31 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've only seen one example of a double cover that did not have an overall grade of the higher of the two. In that case the page quality was tan or something and the overall grade was actually lower than either cover. So perhaps you are correct but in most cases, it is the higher of the two covers.

I believe they were light tan, and 8.5 was the highest grade assigned. Even though the covers graded higher than the 8.5 given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35,599 posts
13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
15 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

No.

The overall grade is what the book will grade out as.  Not the highest of the two covers.

I've only seen one example of a double cover that did not have an overall grade of the higher of the two. In that case the page quality was tan or something and the overall grade was actually lower than either cover. So perhaps you are correct but in most cases, it is the higher of the two covers.

lol There's no "perhaps" about it.

Below is my book.  1st cover 9.0, inner cover 9.6

hulk.jpg.940bf6be9e54a0e0d9e6720afc254887.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2