• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87 9.8 How high will it go?

61 posts in this topic

With the first movie photos of Cable  being released over the past few days I started to wonder a few things:

1) How high will the NM 87 9.8's go as the hype builds leading up to the movie? I'm going to guess $900 U.S. 

2) Despite Deadpool being  much more popular, will NM 98 and NM 87 have comparable values given the wide disparity in the census numbers (NM #98 9.8 = 2320 vs NM#87 9.8=1117)  and a bit of the "Cable nostalgia" from those collectors who grew up on the Cable hype of the early 90s?

3) Transporting back to the days of buying both issues off the rack who ever would have thought NM#98 Deadpool would ever overtake NM #87Cable 20 plus years down the line?

4) Given those  high census numbers and  strong probability that many more in 9.8 condition are out there in the wild waiting, are both books really overvalued at present without much  room for future growth ? 

Feel free to discuss. In the interests of full disclosure I've always been a bit of a Cable fan then and now; Deadpool not as much. 

Edited by shane1956

24 minutes ago, shane1956 said:

1) How high will the NM 87 9.8's go as the hype builds leading up to the movie? I'm going to guess $900 U.S. 

I will sell my CGC 9.8 newsstand copy (refer to my sig line) to anybody who will pay me $900 for it.

$800 for anybody with more than 1,000 posts.

***Offer open to all except...hosers, posers, or hall of shame occupants.

14 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I will sell my CGC 9.8 newsstand copy (refer to my sig line) to anybody who will pay me $900 for it.

$800 for anybody with more than 1,000 posts.

***Offer open to all except...hosers, posers, or hall of shame occupants.

$100 of per 1,000 posts? :baiting:

On 8/8/2017 at 5:02 PM, shane1956 said:

4) Given those  high census numbers and  strong probability that many more in 9.8 condition are out there in the wild waiting, are both books really overvalued at present without much  room for future growth ? 

+1

Definitely not much more room for long-term growth due to the huge number of hoarded copies out there, especially since Liefeld and McFarlane were the hot artists at the time and their books were scooped up and kept in top condition by speculators at the time.  :gossip:

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, shane1956 said:

+1

Definitely not much more room for long-term growth due to the huge number of hoarded copies out there, especially since Liefeld and McFarlane were the hot artists at the time and their books were scooped up and kept in top condition by speculators at the time.  :gossip:

I think Deadpool has peaked, BUT I think Cable still has more room IF DP2 is very popular AND Cable gets a SOLO movie (him leading an X-force movie probably won't raise it more IMO).

On 8/8/2017 at 5:02 PM, shane1956 said:

2) Despite Deadpool being  much more popular, will NM 98 and NM 87 have comparable values given the wide disparity in the census numbers (NM #98 9.8 = 2320 vs NM#87 9.8=1117)  and a bit of the "Cable nostalgia" from those collectors who grew up on the Cable hype of the early 90s?

Any idea if there is a big difference in the print run between these 2 books?  ???

I am sure the reason for the current wide disparity in the census counts for these 2 books is due entirely to the fact that NM 98 has been a key book for a much longer time period than NM 87 which is a much newer key.  Does anybody think NM 87 will one day become as valuable as NM 98 in the marketplace, or at least in the same ballpark in terms of value?  hm

So the peak now is basically what it was last year when the casting of Cable was confirmed? There are just too many copies in the wild that will press and slab into 9.8s. 

On 8/18/2017 at 10:10 PM, lou_fine said:

I am sure the reason for the current wide disparity in the census counts for these 2 books is due entirely to the fact that NM 98 has been a key book for a much longer time period than NM 87 which is a much newer key.

87 was a key book right away, and I don't think the print run was as high as when the title finished.  98 was a minor key that came out when everyone was already aware of the title, and hoarding copies.  The first three Cables, the two Wolverine appearances, the death of Warlock... all selling at a premium and people were eating this stuff up.  Until the recent run up, 87 was always somewhere between $25-60, depending on the year.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:02 PM, FineCollector said:

87 was a key book right away, and I don't think the print run was as high as when the title finished.  98 was a minor key that came out when everyone was already aware of the title, and hoarding copies.  The first three Cables, the two Wolverine appearances, the death of Warlock... all selling at a premium and people were eating this stuff up.  Until the recent run up, 87 was always somewhere between $25-60, depending on the year.

Not true, depending on what you mean by "right away." It was months after the release of 87 before it became a must-have. The second printing wasn't released until about a year after the first.

Interestingly, here are the prices from the 2005 Overstreet I found laying around the house.  This was 14 years after the fact and #98 was not even distinguished from the rest of the run.  Overall, 87 has been more expensive than 98 for around 66% of the time that the books have been in existence.  It seems like forever that 98 has been so key, but it has been only a little over 10 years I guess.  

Image (32).jpg

Image (33).jpg

6 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not true, depending on what you mean by "right away." It was months after the release of 87 before it became a must-have. The second printing wasn't released until about a year after the first.

FWIW, I remember #86 being hyped in one of the mail-order company's monthly solicits (American Ent. I think) because of the hot new artist (yes, Liefeld -- and I remember that solicit because I ordered it thinking I was getting in on the ground floor of the next McFarlane), and that's when I started noticing the title. I would think that was possibly the jumping-on point for many other readers as well. Cable coming in the next issue was a pretty big deal, too, so I would expect orders to have been up on both those issues and probably for the title as a whole through the end as the hype machine didn't stop on NM after that point. Oddly, I never remember seeing the 2nd printing, but I recall the same as FineCollector: That Cable became a pretty hot character very quickly.

Sales for #87 were not markedly different than sales for #86. In fact, New Mutants was a couple of minutes from being cancelled, because sales were so low. It's why Liefeld got the book. 

I would love to see a solicitation of #86, by anyone. 

Liefeld didn't achieve "hot new artist" status until about issue #93, six months after #87 came out in January of 1990. New Mutants sales did go up quite a bit after that, but that was mostly due to the X-Tinction Agenda crossover, which was a huge success. It wasn't until issue #100, though, that sales numbers went up dramatically (for comparison, Krause has Cap City orders at about 36k copies for #86 and #87, 52k copies for #98, and 104k for #100. X-Force #1 was 850k or so just for Cap City, about 1/3rd the Direct market at the time.)

Cable wasn't an instant success. It took all of 1990 for things to get crazy. But, by the time #100 came out in Feb of 1991, it was getting nutso, and the four months between NM #100 and X-Force #1, when they reprinted #87, was a madhouse. That summer was nothing but X this and X that and X over here, oh, and don't forget Infinity Gauntlet....

If any of you get the chance, read the OPG Update reports from the time. The timeline for Cable and Liefeld is absolutely fascinating. 

20 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

FWIW, I remember #86 being hyped in one of the mail-order company's monthly solicits (American Ent. I think) because of the hot new artist (yes, Liefeld -- and I remember that solicit because I ordered it thinking I was getting in on the ground floor of the next McFarlane), and that's when I started noticing the title. I would think that was possibly the jumping-on point for many other readers as well. Cable coming in the next issue was a pretty big deal, too, so I would expect orders to have been up on both those issues and probably for the title as a whole through the end as the hype machine didn't stop on NM after that point. Oddly, I never remember seeing the 2nd printing, but I recall the same as FineCollector: That Cable became a pretty hot character very quickly.

I was a regular New Mutants reader at the time (one of the few, it seems), and I noticed that Liefeld's style had similarities to McFarlane as well, and picked up a few extra copies of 86 (because first issue of a hot artist on a title was a thing that drove value then). But I don't remember anything indicating that Cable was going to be an important character outside of the blurbs in the comic, but everything was hyped then, even characters of little consequence.