• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87 9.8 How high will it go?

61 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

I have a theory that what also hurt Adams was that he was really into lame subject matter.  McFarlane was associated with Spiderman and Spawn, Lee was associated with Punisher and X-Men, and Liefield was attached to Cable, who was very hip at the time.

While Longshot and Spiral were kind of cool, I think it is damaging that seemingly 50% of Adam's output in his absolute prime is associated with X-Babies and Mojo.  I mean, you had X-Men annual 10,12, Excalibur annual 2.  The art was fantastic on those, but enough is enough on the freaking X-Babies.  Also, it don't get much more lame than Monkeyman and Obrien.  I love Adams as much as anyone and even I can't get excited about those characters.  Had he had just been associated with better subject matter, his trajectory might have been different.  

Also, X-Factor 41,42 and that Action Comics annual are very cheap and awesome to look at too.

That's a great point.

Action Comics Annual #1 is, I think, the very first Superman story I ever read, and perhaps the first Superman/Batman team-up I ever read.

Again, a feast for the eyes, on every page. Love it, love it, love it.