• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney to Pull Movies From Netflix, Launch Streaming Service

21 posts in this topic

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-pull-movies-netflix-launch-streaming-service-1027793

Disney's announcement coincided with a mixed quarterly earnings report, which sunk its stock 4 percent in after-hours trading.

Disney on Tuesday said it will be pulling its movies from Netflix and will launch a Disney streaming service of its own in 2019. It also said it will launch an ESPN streaming service early next year.

To help do all that, Disney will acquire a majority of BAMTech, the streaming technology company owned by MLBAM, the internet company owned by Major League Baseball. Disney already owned a stake in BAMTech but will pay $1.58 billion for an additional 42 percent.

Details of the Disney streaming service were sketchy Tuesday, with CEO Bob Iger saying that if a movie is Pixar- or Disney-branded, it will probably appear exclusively on the new service — including shows and movies made specifically for the service — but the jury is still out on Marvel and Star Wars films.

ESPN has been losing TV subscribers for a few years and an online stand-alone product has been predicted for months, but ending a distribution agreement with Netflix beginning with the 2019 theatrical slate caught investors off-guard and Netflix shares quickly sunk 4 percent on the news in after-hours trading.

Iger called the initiatives "a strategic shift in the way we distribute our content."

Deciphering Iger's vague comments Tuesday, it could mean that the upcoming Frozen 2 would be available for streaming exclusively on Disney's new service while Star Wars: Episode IX presumably would not, though they are both set for release in 2019. Star Wars and Marvel movies in the future could be on the Disney service exclusively, could not be there at all or could be there as well as on other services. Those decisions are yet to be made, but the decision to not renew with Netflix is a done deal.

Disney also owns a stake in Hulu, and Disney executives said Tuesday a multiyear deal putting Mulan, Pocahontas and others on Hulu will not be affected by Disney's upcoming service.

As for the upcoming ESPN service, Iger said Tuesday the company hasn't yet had conversations about it with the sports network's existing TV distributors. In the streaming product's first year of launch, the exec anticipates streaming an additional 10,000 sporting events over what's available on ESPN's TV networks.

Disney made all of its streaming announcements Tuesday while reporting quarterly earnings.

Shares of the conglomerate were falling 3 percent in after-hours trading after it reported quarterly revenue of $14.2 billion, about $180 million less than Wall Street expected. Profit, though, came in at $1.58 per share, three cents more than projected.

Disney's biggest segment, media networks, saw revenue drop 1 percent year-over-year to $5.9 billion and operating income plunge 22 percent to $1.8 billion, with ESPN mostly to blame.

Disney said ESPN's problems included higher programming costs, lower ad revenue and costs associated with severance packages for departing employees.

Broadcasting, though, didn't perform much better than did cable, with the ABC television network also seeing higher programming costs and lower ad revenue.

Studio entertainment saw revenue fall 16 percent to $2.4 billion and operating income fall 17 percent to $639 million, thanks in part to a decrease in home entertainment because Star Wars: The Force Awakens last year outsold Rogue One: A Star Wars Story this year.

Parks and resorts seemed a bright spot, as revenue rose 12 percent to $4.9 billion and operating income grew 18 percent to $1.2 billion, with Shanghai Disney Resort and Disneyland Paris contributing to the growth.

Revenue at consumer products and interactive media fell 5 percent to $1.1 billion, but operating income managed to grow 12 percent to $362 million.

Will Netflix Lose Their Marvel Shows to Disney’s Streaming Service?

The Marvel/Netflix partnership has given us some of the best stories in the MCU, but it looks that’s all about to end as Disney begins its quest for streaming dominance. This week’s seen a flurry of Disney-related news, with a new trilogy of Star Wars films from Rian Johnson being announced just after it broke that new live-action Star Wars and Marvel shows are in the works. That latter piece came as part of the unfolding story of Disney’s upcoming streaming service, which has raised a lot of questions about Marvel’s future.

Awhile back, word broke that Disney would be pulling all of their titles from sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime by 2019 ahead of creating their own streaming service. Not only will Disney, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Marvel Studios films and series all now live on the proposed site, but new content will be developed exclusively for it.

Unlike the other MCU properties Daredevil and the rest of the shows under the Defenders banner – were produced by Netflix. As such, yanking them off the service seems logistically impossible. But will Disney strong-arm their former partner?

It’s been confirmed that future Marvel shows will be exclusive to Disney’s service. The existing shows, however, will stay on Netflix. What’s more, it’s said that any spinoffs of those shows will also stay on the site. Netflix keeping the series they helped to create makes sense, but will Disney allow them to make future seasons of shows like Jessica Jones and The Punisher, or license out new characters for said spinoffs?

For now, this is all speculation. The news of Disney’s streaming service has been light so far, and even draft logistics haven’t been made public. Common sense, however, would seem to indicate that while Disney may want all of their properties under one roof, there’s something to be gained from keeping their relationship with Netflix going. Then again, with Disney trying to compete with the streaming giant, will the tension allow such a relationship to survive?

If they do have various streaming services there will be those that do what my family and I do and we trade the services back and forth between family members.

I don't really watch as much TV so I gave my Netflix account password and Amazon Prime to my parents.  They in turn gave me their Optimum Online Cable package password to me.  Quite interesting.  Even though I use Verizon FiOs as my internet provide, I bought an Apple TV, downloaded all the Apps and have access to everything from HBO, Showtime, ESPN, Fox Sports and Live TV each saving each other money in the long run. 

And.... as I mention this... my TV has not been turned on in the last two days. 

Then there are streaming services that may prove to be a detriment to a network like CBS.  I like Star Trek but not enough to purchase a streaming service to see it.  Instead I will sit on the sidelines.  I would have watched it had it been available elsewhere but I am not going to pay to see it. 

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If they do have various streaming services there will be those that do what my family and I do and we trade the services back and forth between family members.

I don't really watch as much TV so I gave my Netflix account password and Amazon Prime to my parents.  They in turn gave me their Optimum Online Cable package password to me.  Quite interesting.  Even though I use Verizon FiOs as my internet provide, I bought an Apple TV, downloaded all the Apps and have access to everything from HBO, Showtime, ESPN, Fox Sports and Live TV each saving each other money in the long run. 

And.... as I mention this... my TV has not been turned on in the last two days. 

Then there are streaming services that may prove to be a detriment to a network like CBS.  I like Star Trek but not enough to purchase a streaming service to see it.  Instead I will sit on the sidelines.  I would have watched it had it been available elsewhere but I am not going to pay to see it. 

agreed.  I did the 7 day opt out trial CBS stream offered and watched the first 4 episodes of STDiscovery. I like it but keeping the subscription for just that show is basically the same as paying a monthly subscription for just 1 show.  I know many of us already do it but we're already sucked into those shows and some of those streaming services offer much more than just 1 show as a hook.

For me its:

Netflix $11/mo, (multiple shows): Marvel Netflix exclusives (Defenders, DD, Punisher, etc), Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager), Breaking Bad, House of Cards, etc, and the occasional good movies release, and Disney Movies

Hulu $12/mo (3 shows): Orville, Marvel Agents of Shield, and the voice (we don't have a DVR so this is the next best thing.

Amazon $8.25/mo (1 or 2 shows): Vikings and Man in the High Castle but more recently NFL Thursday Night Football, but mostly just because it comes with the prime membership. Netflix has almost the same and more. 

SlingTV $44/mo (2 shows and NFL): AMC Walking Dead (my girl still makes me sit through this show), the Voice, NFL broadcasts on NBC, FOX, and ESPN.  Sling now has a cloud DVR option for $5/month so that'll make watching those shows easier.  Have to pay extra for ABC and CBS I think but may also not offer them.

FOXSportsGo: for NFL broadcasts around the country.  It's free.

HBOGo: (1 show and movies) Game of thrones but now only because my cable provider gave me HBO free and at an overall cheaper price than if I had just cancelled my TV service and did Internet only. (paying me to keep cable?)

So yeah it's starting to add up to now $76/mo.  Now if I have to pay for Disney or any other streaming services, it'll basically equal the cost of a normal HD cable service plan with DVR.  The only real difference between paying $150 for streaming services + internet and paying $150 for cable & internet is that you can actually cancel the different streaming services at no cost or penalty during different dead times during the year and then renew.  Cable still balloons to $200+ once the promotions end so that's streamings only real edge right now.

I'll probably wait until STDisc season 1 is finished and do the 7 day trial again and binge it.

I won't pay it. They can suck it. I got away from cable because of the exorbitant costs. Now these content producers want to peel off their own sub services, and I'm not going to land back in the land of cable costs because these companies are atomizing access to their product. What I've learned after 5+ years of cutting the cable is, you don't really miss the stuff. There's no shortage of good content to watch.

5 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I won't pay it. They can suck it. I got away from cable because of the exorbitant costs. Now these content producers want to peel off their own sub services, and I'm not going to land back in the land of cable costs because these companies are atomizing access to their product. What I've learned after 5+ years of cutting the cable is, you don't really miss the stuff. There's no shortage of good content to watch.

If you have a pre-K child in the house then Disney is in your home.  No, that isn't the Marvel wing of Disney either.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

If you have a pre-K child in the house then Disney is in your home.  No, that isn't the Marvel wing of Disney either.

Not sure what your point is. My point is that I'm not going to pay for a Disney subscription service independent of what I already use. 

1 minute ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Not sure what your point is. My point is that I'm not going to pay for a Disney subscription service independent of what I already use. 

My point was that either you have Disney via cable (Disney Channel/FEM/Disney Jr), Disney via DVD's/Blue Ray, or Disney streaming(when that happens).  You can't avoid them if your child is pre-K.  I'm just glad we have a boy.  On of my friends has a girl and he's had to sit through Frozen hundreds of times.  I couldn't take that.  I watched 5 minutes of that movie and thanked the Lord that my son had ZERO interest in it.  I have sat through all the Cars' movies and Monster's Inc. more times than I ever hoped too though.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:32 PM, Lucky Baru said:

My point was that either you have Disney via cable (Disney Channel/FEM/Disney Jr), Disney via DVD's/Blue Ray, or Disney streaming(when that happens).  You can't avoid them if your child is pre-K.  I'm just glad we have a boy.  On of my friends has a girl and he's had to sit through Frozen hundreds of times.  I couldn't take that.  I watched 5 minutes of that movie and thanked the Lord that my son had ZERO interest in it.  I have sat through all the Cars' movies and Monster's Inc. more times than I ever hoped too though.

I own most of my disney movies on VHS.  That's good enough. \

Edited by Wolverinex

1 hour ago, Lucky Baru said:

I don't want to avoid them, just not going into a subscription sinkhole. :)

Right now, we still are NOT being told that Marvel films and features will be exclusive to the new, upcoming Disney streaming service. I go watch Marvel's big screen releases at the theater when they come out. Should I miss one - or want to see it again - then I would rent the DVD when it comes out.  So for me, the only thing that really matters is if Marvel will continue the deal with Neflix for series like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc... 

I currently stream my "cable TV" via Sony Playstation Vue. As for ESPN, I am not going to subscribe to a whole new streaming service just to watch Monday Night Football.  If Disney wants to be my streaming service, they will have to win me away from Netflix and offer a service overall better than Netflix and their competitors.

Edited by Tony S

3 hours ago, mattn792 said:

If they took MNF exclusively to streaming, ESPN would lose about 20 million viewers overnight.  As of now, sports are the only reason I don’t seriously consider cutting out cable altogether.

FoxSportsGo might be the best app / tv channel in the apple store... 

11 hours ago, Tony S said:

Right now, we still are NOT being told that Marvel films and features will be exclusive to the new, upcoming Disney streaming service. I go watch Marvel's big screen releases at the theater when they come out. Should I miss one - or want to see it again - then I would rent the DVD when it comes out.  So for me, the only thing that really matters is if Marvel will continue the deal with Neflix for series like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc... 

I currently stream my "cable TV" via Sony Playstation Vue. As for ESPN, I am not going to subscribe to a whole new streaming service just to watch Monday Night Football.  If Disney wants to be my streaming service, they will have to win me away from Netflix and offer a service overall better than Netflix and their competitors.

On ESPN, you may not have to ever watch them again.  They have positioned themselves contractually from each cable provider that carries them to receive their fees even if they don't carry NFL games.  It has been reported that they may have done that to cost their ties with the NFL when their contract ends.

James Andrew Miller: Why ESPN Could Abandon NFL Football (Guest Column)

Edited by Lucky Baru

I have Spectrum Cable (used to be Timer Warner) and I pay like $185 for their high speed internet, phone (wife likes having a phone in the house-would love to just use our cell phones) and Cable TV.   I'm at the point where I want to try to cut the cost of this as this is getting way too costly every month.  We watch "Outlander" (...and Black Sails(finished now) ) on STARZ or I would drop it.  I'm hoping we go the way of just paying for the channels you want instead if this bundle package where you only watch a fraction of seems like "thousands" of channels. 
I'm also a member of Amazon Prime for like "The Man in the High Castle (Awesome show!!) but not just for TV  as I buy on Amazon all the time. 
We love Netflix and watched and loved the DD, Jessica Jones, IF, Luke Cage, HofCards, Stranger things, The Tudors...etc...shows so don't want to drop that and that is a separate fee from our Cable TV bill...Jeez, watching TV "can" get just plain expensive.

25 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

I have Spectrum Cable (used to be Timer Warner) and I pay like $185 for their high speed internet, phone (wife likes having a phone in the house-would love to just use our cell phones) and Cable TV.   I'm at the point where I want to try to cut the cost of this as this is getting way too costly every month.  We watch "Outlander" (...and Black Sails(finished now) ) on STARZ or I would drop it.  I'm hoping we go the way of just paying for the channels you want instead if this bundle package where you only watch a fraction of seems like "thousands" of channels. 
I'm also a member of Amazon Prime for like "The Man in the High Castle (Awesome show!!) but not just for TV  as I buy on Amazon all the time. 
We love Netflix and watched and loved the DD, Jessica Jones, IF, Luke Cage, HofCards, Stranger things, The Tudors...etc...shows so don't want to drop that and that is a separate fee from our Cable TV bill...Jeez, watching TV "can" get just plain expensive.

I'll probably just buy the Disney movies that get removed from Netflix which is probably what their goal is anyway.

The only way I see paying for the Disney stream option is if they also picked up the chunk of generic Netflix/Amazon basic content too so I could justify dropping Netflix until the next Netflix Marvel show comes out.  But if they price disney too high, it'll still be cheaper to buy the disney movies your kids watch regularly than pay for a monthly subscription.   I'll just have to start managing my subscriptions throughout the year based on content.  Drop a stream pickup a stream like fantasy football for streaming. 

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

We just switched over to Spectrum at about $140 a month (1/2 what Centurylink was charging us), but are internet is 2G/5G, and we only opted for the silver level of tv service, and we have the phone service.  You might contact them if they are abusing you because you've been a customer in the past.