• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE elusive Dark Knight Returns #1 4th printing
3 3

104 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2017 at 1:16 PM, Aweandlorder said:

I actually recently bought one of these sets (not autographed)  Is there a website similar to this that you could recommend for toy collectors?  I'm inclined to break up the set to get the comic graded, but I don't know if it is worth it.   Thanks,

5 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

I have 1-4 first prints in 9.8 but I like the figures.  The comic will stay entombed in its box.  

520D259C-D3D2-4D6D-893E-C34AEB72A798.jpeg

I had a chance to get this and about the same price as the sticker...at a store. but lol 

I was like, is that? no I'm mistaken... wait could that have been the 4th pr...? took a pass, went home, reread this thread, said ah shucks, went back and it was gone :cry:

Win Some, LOSE A LOT evidently 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

12 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I had a chance to get this and about the same price as the sticker...at a store. but lol 

I was like, is that? no I'm mistaken... wait could that have been the 4th pr...? took a pass, went home, reread this thread, said ah shucks, went back and it was gone :cry:

Win Some, LOSE A LOT evidently 

Dang, was it a comic store or toy store... I never even thought about looking for these lol

9 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Dang, was it a comic store or toy store... I never even thought about looking for these lol

It was a place called movie trading company.... so it specializes in dvds lol but it Just branched out into a little of everything: guitars, records, star wars and other novelty t-sirts, and yes even some $3 comics and statues. It's a fun bargain diving place that will also buy items from customers to sell at retail. That is probably how they acquired this one. They also have loose action figures in bags and posters. A little bit of everything...

1 hour ago, Carl Elvis said:

Just scored a set on eBay for $150 best offer. At one point I was searching hard for this set but kept coming up empty. 

Planning on slabbing the book and reselling the figures which seem to go for a good amount.

How long have you been searching for the set? 

Let me know what you get on the slab... I've been thinking about buying a set recently off ebay..

Edited by Wolverinex

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

How long have you been searching for the set? 

Let me know what you get on the slab... I've been thinking about buying a set recently off ebay..

A searched for a few months, everywhere...shops and online, using every search trick I could think of. I was even searching apps like offer up and changing my location to search other cities. 

Eventually I gave up and was surprised to see a few have popped up on eBay since then.

5 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

A searched for a few months, everywhere...shops and online, using every search trick I could think of. I was even searching apps like offer up and changing my location to search other cities. 

Eventually I gave up and was surprised to see a few have popped up on eBay since then.

Ahh, I think I was looking at the set you bought.  It said it was waterlogged right?  Will pressing fix that?

Ok, here's a little rant..

When we label everything a "printing," this thread demonstrates the kind of confusion that happens. 

This book is not a "4th printing." It was not physically "re-printed" from the same equipment as the first three. This is a completely different modern and physically original edition. This should also not be labeled as "1986," when it was produced 2009.

20190415_103855.jpg

3 hours ago, Davidone said:

When we label everything a "printing," this thread demonstrates the kind of confusion that happens. 

This book is not a "4th printing." It was not physically "re-printed" from the same equipment as the first three. This is a completely different modern and physically original edition. This should also not be labeled as "1986," when it was produced 2009.

20190415_103855.jpg

Excellent post. I agree completely. It should be labeled a "reprint", not a "fourth printing."

5 hours ago, Davidone said:

20190415_103855.jpg

wow i had no idea. you're right, this is utter nonsense. seems like our overlords here (proprietors of these boards) have a vested interest in doing whatever they can to make everything more collectable and valuable, including labeling reprints as later editions. pure silliness. 

4 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

wow i had no idea. you're right, this is utter nonsense. seems like our overlords here (proprietors of these boards) have a vested interest in doing whatever they can to make everything more collectable and valuable, including labeling reprints as later editions. pure silliness. 

I don't think they're to blame. I'm relatively sure the indicia says "fourth printing." The issue is DC, not CGC.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm relatively sure the indicia says "fourth printing."

It does (it was posted earlier in the thread), and CGC almost always follows the indicia. Then again, they do call this book "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1" lol

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

It does (it was posted earlier in the thread), and CGC almost always follows the indicia. Then again, they do call this book "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1" lol

Yeah...as I mentioned in another thread, this series is called "Batman: The Dark Knight." It is NOT called "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns."

Frustrating.