• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE elusive Dark Knight Returns #1 4th printing
3 3

104 posts in this topic

It is confusing.I brought it to their attention a while back and I got them to add the note about the 2009 origin.

A lot of people thought they were original 4th printings from 1986 that were short printed in Canada(not the case).

A major comic dealer listed it this way on their website.(Probably by accident) And we all went along for the "grail" ride.

I do not blame CGC at all on this. This one is very hard to find because it was DC DIRECT.

Probably only really collectible to DARK KNIGHT RETURNS fanatics(like myself)

When I was first trying to find one I called and emailed every toy dealer I could find and no one coull find one to sell me one. I was ready to pay as much as 5-600 for an unopened one. Now I have seen some come up on ebay and 9.8 s usually sell for 4-550 on ebay. It is a rare variant. maybe it should say Variant instead of 1986? But I don't really care either way. Mine are still in their boxes sealed with the action figures.(worth more that way in my opinion)...

Edited by Pizzafist

30 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

Yeah Buddy!  Sealed in box

EA334CF5-E207-420E-9BF6-118B050EE27A.jpeg

At sticker price?  Sweet!

I'm kicking myself for not picking up the one I saw that I mentioned earlier in the thread doh!

25 minutes ago, Parabellum said:

I didn’t pay sticker price, unfortunately.  Lol

Well still congrats :foryou:

I seldom see it available for sale, lol after my first pass up doh!

I wonder what the production run was on this set? I'd have to imagine it was relatively small compared to other DC Direct sets, as this was, I believe, the third release of these sculpts, albeit with a new deco. I know I passed on the set at the time because I'd already bought the original wave of Dark Knight figures, as well as the 4-pack reissue. I couldn't justify buying the figures a third time, even with the new paint job, and I was a pretty devoted DCD collector at the time. 

On 8/9/2021 at 9:10 PM, Lazyboy said:

There's no real (established) market for the book. You'll have to settle for whatever some sucker will pay for a way, way later special edition reprint that nobody should particularly care about.

Just amazes me that these later prints are actually sought after, in demand books. 

On 8/15/2021 at 4:34 AM, Ryan. said:

I don't understand the connection between Crain and this book. 

There was a scratch on  batman that would have dropped the grade down lower. I picked an artist that does good remarques, nothing more to it. Besides Stan Lee wasn't available to scribble on it for me /S

On 8/16/2021 at 9:44 AM, 1dingo said:

There was a scratch on  batman that would have dropped the grade down lower. I picked an artist that does good remarques, nothing more to it. Besides Stan Lee wasn't available to scribble on it for me /S

(thumbsu

On 6/29/2022 at 7:42 PM, Wolverinex said:

Found a 9.6 copy of this book and wondering what is reasonable to offer the seller. Does anyone have any recent sales for this?  There isn't anything on ebay.

20220629_195459.jpg.4aa2fd2122b439c9a9fca1f43f498a27.jpg20220629_195229.jpg.c54b0b4862ad503bdbed04f935a228a4.jpg20220629_195208.jpg.2c205b5431a4388c27473d45288c93c0.jpg