• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE elusive Dark Knight Returns #1 4th printing
3 3

104 posts in this topic

On 8/9/2017 at 4:21 AM, oakman29 said:

Watch out for snake oil salesmen. Rarity doesn't always go hand in hand with the sticker price. What I mean is they can ask whatever they want, but is someone going to buy at that price. ?

I guarantee you that if you really want a DKR #1 4th print, and take the time to dig through long boxes, you'll find one for less than 20.00. It may take you years, but it's the thrill of the chase right?

I personally would never pay that kind of price for such a book, but collectors are an odd breed, right!

• Watch out for snake oil salesmen.

• Rarity doesn't always go hand in hand with the sticker price.

• it's the thrill of the chase.

• collectors are an odd breed.

There, I broke it down to bullet points for ya! :)

1 hour ago, divad said:
  • Watch out for snake oil salesmen.

• Rarity doesn't always go hand in hand with the sticker price.

• it's the thrill of the chase.

• collectors are an odd breed.

There, I broke it down to bullet points for ya! :)

Thanks for that, no really thanks!   :eyeroll:

On 2017-08-09 at 6:58 AM, NCAmother said:

That's what I've seen on eBay, $2,000 for a 9.0   I just got back into collecting a year ago, I don't remember rarity in reprints but I guess it's changing??

According to GPA, a 9.8 copy sold for $425 in September 2015.  That's also the only CGC copy sold of the 4th print.

So...does ANYONE have any idea when this was made, and why? "Made in China" is a clue. The book being saddle-stitched is another clue. 

This was not made in 1986. Clearly. There were three printings made in 1986 of #1, three of #2, two of #3, and one #4. All of them are squarebound.

Was this included with a toy, is it a reprint for a special event, what...? Anyone?

It's very rare that you run across a book from the 80's that neither I, nor Donut, have seen or know about. 

Certification Information for the copy that sold indicates it was printed in 1986, unless that simply refers to original date of print?

Certification Information

Certification #:  1304031005
Title:  Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Issue:  1
Issue Date:  3/86
Issue Year:  1986
Publisher:  D.C. Comics
Grade:  9.8
Total Graded At:  1
Page Quality:  WHITE
Grade Date:  06/09/2015
Variant:  Fourth Printing
Category:  Modern
Art Comments:  Frank Miller story & cover
Frank Miller & Klaus Janson art
Key Comments:  1st appearance of Carrie Kelly.
Grader Notes:  None Available
Edited by John R

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes, it refers to the original date of publication. 

Interesting that it went thru four printings in the same month. Cover paper is different than the first printing, it's similar thick card stock but it's matte and almost chalky looking

4 minutes ago, NCAmother said:

Interesting that it went thru four printings in the same month. Cover paper is different than the first printing, it's similar thick card stock but it's matte and almost chalky looking

It didn't go through four printings in the same month. The month on the label is the date of publication, not the date of printing. Much like a regular book, the date of publication doesn't change with subsequent printings. 

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It didn't go through four printings in the same month. The month on the label is the date of publication, not the date of printing. Much like a regular book, the date of publication doesn't change with subsequent printings. 

Oh, ok.  Wonder when it was printed then?  

I read about a BTDKR #1 4th printing on mycomicship well over a decade ago and laughed, thinking it was an error in their data base.

I found my first one a few years ago and scooped it up as a BIG BTDKR collector. 

I am always hunting for this book and learning more about BTDKR as much as I can. I can tell you they are extremely rare .

So AJ at recalled.com ( a cool resource for rare printings)  had this to say about the DKR #1 4th printing:

Hi,

Many thanks for getting in touch.

Although this comic was a 4th printing I'm sure DC would not have re-printed a small volume of these back in 1986 (it would have had to have been profitable to re-print this again) so I would guess they were printed in the thousands at the time.  There are certainly a few available for maybe $10 upwards depending on condition and their value probably explains the lack of numbers in the CGC census (i.e. a 4th printing is maybe not something worth grading unless it has significant value).  However, it is certainly likely that the 4th print is rarer than the other prints so there would probably be fewer of them around today compared to earlier printings.

Kind regards
AJ

1 hour ago, NCAmother said:

So AJ at recalled.com ( a cool bad resource for rare printings accurate information)  had this to say about the DKR #1 4th printing:

Hi,

Many thanks for getting in touch.

Although this comic was a 4th printing I'm sure DC would not have re-printed a small volume of these back in 1986 (it would have had to have been profitable to re-print this again) so I would guess they were printed in the thousands at the time.  There are certainly a few available for maybe $10 upwards depending on condition and their value probably explains the lack of numbers in the CGC census (i.e. a 4th printing is maybe not something worth grading unless it has significant value).  However, it is certainly likely that the 4th print is rarer than the other prints so there would probably be fewer of them around today compared to earlier printings.

Kind regards
AJ

Fixed. (I assume that is supposed to be recalledcomics.com)

On 8/12/2017 at 10:53 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

So...does ANYONE have any idea when this was made, and why? "Made in China" is a clue. The book being saddle-stitched is another clue.

The GST# (being published) and DC's address are also clues.

But I don't know when or why this printing was made.

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Fixed. (I assume that is supposed to be recalledcomics.com)

The GST# (being published) and DC's address are also clues.

But I don't know when or why this printing was made.

I had no idea they had such a bad reputation, I noticed CGC numbers didn't correlate with their numbers.  The MYSTERY CONTINUES!!!!!    Thanks Lazyboy!

On 8/15/2017 at 0:02 PM, Pizzafist said:

I read about a BTDKR #1 4th printing on mycomicship well over a decade ago and laughed, thinking it was an error in their data base.

I found my first one a few years ago and scooped it up as a BIG BTDKR collector. 

I am always hunting for this book and learning more about BTDKR as much as I can. I can tell you they are extremely rare .

Here's another one to go chase....or maybe it's the same one.  (shrug)

7a63ea6662767c8abfc31c5bb0aeb038--dark-knight-returns-tv-movie.jpg