• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars 1 - 9.6 with Corner Damage?
1 1

21 posts in this topic

So, I got a Star Wars 1 which is graded as 9.6 a couple weeks ago. I've been going back and forth wondering if this book is truly a 9.6, since it has minor corner damage to the bottom right, some minor waviness on the bottom and right edges, and looks like the pages are off white, instead of white. For the slab, there is some minimal marking in the corners, the grade sticker is a little off center and the book is slightly shifted inside the sealed insert. 

I have over 30 slabbed books, just started sending in my raw comics this year, and of these I have about 5 which are 9.6. Everyone one of these books has sharp corners with no damage. Even some of my 9.2/9.4 books look better than this book.

I'm concerned that the slab was opened and a lower grade copy was inserted. Is this even feasible? I know when I removed a comic from a slab last week to get pressed, there was minimal damage done to the slab, if any, and crazy glue could be used to put to back to together.

I got this at a good price, $275 all in with shipping, and not sure someone would go to that length, and I'm probably looking into this too much. Yes, I could re-submit it to CGC to get re-slabbed, since I like the new slabs over these old ones, but I'm still within my 45days to return to book and  wanted an honest opinion on your thoughts. I did reach out the seller last night to ask about if he submitted it and I was concerned about these issues, but he has not replied yet. I've attached a few pics and here is a link to the gallery for more: https://goo.gl/photos/oP2ghs9d5YGZX99a7 

Thanks for your input. This is my first time posting.. so if I posted something incorrectly, please advise.

IMG_20170805_134309.jpg

IMG_20170805_133624.jpg

IMG_20170805_133728.jpg

IMG_20170805_134331.jpg

Edited by markthwaites

Those are some really fantastic detailed photos.:golfclap:Looking at them I do not think I have ever seen a slab that looked more tamper free. Pretty sure the slab is sound IMO.

A 9.6 can have a minuscule flaw such as that shown. That would probably be the limit. 

CGC does not factor page color into its grades so the color you see on the books edges is irrelevant in this case. Although it looks pretty white to me.

In my experience what you are implying is that you are not happy with how the book presents. However the grade is the grade. For the future the idea of "comparing this slab to that slab to get a grade" is not such a sound method. Not terrible but you may be off a grade point or two.

I agree that does not look like a 9.6, very soft grade. That corner crease alone should hold it significantly below 9.6 . From what I can ascertain, I do think the pages look White. The OWL card is interesting but is never really used . I don't think the slab was tampered with. I would advise selling it. Trust me, you will always be annoyed when looking at it.

On 8/16/2017 at 7:26 PM, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Those are some really fantastic detailed photos.:golfclap:Looking at them I do not think I have ever seen a slab that looked more tamper free. Pretty sure the slab is sound IMO.

A 9.6 can have a minuscule flaw such as that shown. That would probably be the limit. 

CGC does not factor page color into its grades so the color you see on the books edges is irrelevant in this case. Although it looks pretty white to me.

In my experience what you are implying is that you are not happy with how the book presents. However the grade is the grade. For the future the idea of "comparing this slab to that slab to get a grade" is not such a sound method. Not terrible but you may be off a grade point or two.

On 8/16/2017 at 9:19 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree that does not look like a 9.6, very soft grade. That corner crease alone should hold it significantly below 9.6 . From what I can ascertain, I do think the pages look White. The OWL card is interesting but is never really used . I don't think the slab was tampered with. I would advise selling it. Trust me, you will always be annoyed when looking at it.

Sorry for the late reply, but new to this and didn't get notified when posts were made.  My google phone takes really good pics and have a lightbox for selling comics, so thanks for the kudos for the detailed photos. That being said, your comments are on point and even got another Star Wars 1 this week that had those odd markings on the bottom and right side. I was able to press those out and feel this is a better grade than the slab shown here, but we shall see! For selling this slab, I'm planning to acquire another 9.6 and give it as a gift to both my nephews. Yes, its in my head and it bothered me, but on the hunt to add a 9.8 to my personal collection. :) Thanks for your input!

On 8/25/2017 at 7:23 PM, Terrapin said:

If I were selling that book raw I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it anything above 8.0. grading seems to have changed a lot over the last 20 years.

Calling that book an 8.0 is insane.

And, from what I remember, prior to CGC it was 8.0 books being called 9.6s, not the other way around.

8.0...not even close.  9.2/9.4...very possible.

I own a 9.8 SS ASM 252 that has 2 very small color breaking spine ticks (2 on the fc 1 on the bc) as well as some production chipping to the open edge corners and it is preeeeeetty irritating to look at.  Especially since i didn't even expect it to come back higher than a 9.2/9.4 that's why I sent it off for SS in the first darn place!

Edited by Mystafo

The quality of CGC has gone down so much in the last few months that I’m sorry to say once I get my books back that are out now one of which is a huge grading dispute I will never use them again. Which is unfortunate for me and them because I plan to document my 5 book submission experience and broadcast it to the world. Sorry buddy but your book isn’t a 9.6 I would call it an 8.5. I turned in 2 con exclusive books with low print runs distributed in Mylar and only removed to be signed. One came back a 9.0 other came back a 9.2 I also submitted a dollar bin 20 year old book with off white pages and a color break dog ear and it came back as a 9.4 not to mention all these books were damaged and shipment to cgc due to poor packaging by LCS. LCS tried to cover their and have CGC press the books. Too bad they only ordered a “quick press” which is a dry press and very noticeable That all 4 have the same corner damage. CGC will not take responsibility and neither will the LCS that claims the books are insured by CGC during shipping. Which is obviously false. So sorry but my 2000 books are going elsewhere to be graded and I will be shipping not a LCS. So word to the wise DO NOT put trust in a LCS to submit on your behalf even if they are SS witness authorized. Sorry didn’t mean to rant on your post but I was just trying to express my concern about inconsistent grading and the risks involved with using a subpar company that now cares more about the bottom dollar then it does the customer or the hobby. 

Hi - I just got my first book back from CGC. Amazing Spider-man 129 which i would have sworn was a solid 9.0. It came back 7.5 as there was supposedly a crease across the top. In getting it back i did see two very faint indents on the back cover top. The front is pristine. Nothing like the picture above. Now i am not sure what to do. Should i spend the money to get it pressed and regraded? or just accept the 7.5 as it is? Since it is still around a $900.00 book, it cost me a hundred bucks the first time to get it graded. Do they give any kind of discount the second time around? If i get some replies, i will take a picture of what i am talking about so you can see for yourself. Thanks for letting me vent.

23 hours ago, Rick1014 said:

Hi - I just got my first book back from CGC. Amazing Spider-man 129 which i would have sworn was a solid 9.0. It came back 7.5 as there was supposedly a crease across the top. In getting it back i did see two very faint indents on the back cover top. The front is pristine. Nothing like the picture above. Now i am not sure what to do. Should i spend the money to get it pressed and regraded? or just accept the 7.5 as it is? Since it is still around a $900.00 book, it cost me a hundred bucks the first time to get it graded. Do they give any kind of discount the second time around? If i get some replies, i will take a picture of what i am talking about so you can see for yourself. Thanks for letting me vent.

As far as a discount goes, I don't believe that will happen.  Post some pics and get some opinions on whether or not a press could help.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people around here.   

4 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I see what you're referring to.  Is there also some sort of smudge or dirt stain just above the price box on the front cover?

Hi - I believe it is a small red bit of ink that i believe was from when it was printed. But not positive. I have owned this book since 1977-78. Probably paid around 50 cents at the time :) Thanks for the feedback. Obviously, i am not a professional grader, but wanted to get some opinions since i see other books with lots more issues coming in at 9. I want to send more books to CGC but i am a bit leery with the disparity in grading.

4 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I see what you're referring to.  Is there also some sort of smudge or dirt stain just above the price box on the front cover?

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, Terrapin said:

If I were selling that book raw I wouldn't feel comfortable giving it anything above 8.0. grading seems to have changed a lot over the last 20 years.

Sell me all your raw 8.0's.  I'll give you 8.5 GPA for them.  :baiting:

I agree that the grade on the SW1 is very soft.   I wouldn't call it 9.6.   9.2/9.4 is realistic.   

I once subbed a (black cover) book that had an impossible to miss color break on the spine.  It wasn't huge, but you could see it from a mile away.  Subbed it hoping for 9.2.  Got a 9.6.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. 

19 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Sell me all your raw 8.0's.  I'll give you 8.5 GPA for them.  :baiting:

I agree that the grade on the SW1 is very soft.   I wouldn't call it 9.6.   9.2/9.4 is realistic.   

I once subbed a (black cover) book that had an impossible to miss color break on the spine.  It wasn't huge, but you could see it from a mile away.  Subbed it hoping for 9.2.  Got a 9.6.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. 

I guess I'm just used to the overstreet grading guide. When I see a cb crease of that size I top it at 7.5 even though I know CGC would probably grade it higher. When I sell raw I try to stick to os and hopefully someone will see a great deal. I also cannot give a raw book I'm selling anything higher than 9.4. I know some of them would come back as a 9.6 or 9.8 but I just can't do it. 

58 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

I also cannot give a raw book I'm selling anything higher than 9.4. I know some of them would come back as a 9.6 or 9.8 but I just can't do it. 

I'm pretty much the same.   If a copy (usually something newer) was exceptional, I might call it "NM+ or better".