• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Francisco Comic Con Boardie Meetup and Comic Swap Party - Sep 2, 2017
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! With San Francisco Comic Con growing this year and moving into Moscone West (our backyard), there will be a lot of people in town for the con and I thought it'd be fun to throw a comic trading party and boardie meetup after the con.

I rented out the private VIP lounge at Jillian's Sports Bar & Restaurant, literally right across the street from Moscone West from 6:00-9:00pm on Saturday, September 2. The expo hall closes at 7:00pm that day.  

I just wanted to create a fun, relaxed atmosphere for everyone to unwind and hang out after the con, talk comics, do some buying and trading with each other, and have a drink. Renting the private VIP lounge isn't cheap, so I do need to charge for the event, and even then I'm still paying for most of it out of pocket.

Tickets are $20, and I'm trying to provide as much value as possible! So what does the ticket get you?

• Admission to private VIP lounge
  • Opportunity to bring up to 1 short box of comics to buy, sell, and trade with other collectors
  • 1 Shortboxed enamel pin (choose from 5 different designs - these sell for $10 each; see photo)
  • Appetizers (with vegetarian and vegan options)
  • 1 raffle ticket for prizes throughout the evening (various comics and toys)
  • Free-to-play pool table 

Tickets are available now, and space is limited, so tickets are first come, first served until they sell out. There's only space for 20 people, and there's been a lot of interest from local collectors, so I do expect to sell out - have already sold a few.

I really want this to be a community-driven event, which is why I'm posting here. Open to hear any suggestions on how to create a good trading party. Hoping we can get some boardies and the general Bay Area comic book collecting community together during the con! Feel free to chime in here with any feedback or suggestions! 

Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/shortboxed-comic-book-swap-san-francisco-comic-con-after-party-tickets-36885215673

Facebook event page

DSC08333.JPG

Jillian's @ Metreon mingle private room 2.jpeg

Jillian's @ Metreon private billiard lounge.jpeg

Jillian's @ Metreon private billiard lounge from doorway.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 3.52.31 PM.png

Edited by shortboxed

Update:

We've sold 10 out of 20 tickets already! Very excited to see this come to fruition! Seems like folks are bringing a nice mix of books to trade - silver, bronze, copper, modern, variants, raw, slabbed. 

A few folks have asked about the ticket price, and as I mentioned before, I'm currently operating at a loss - the price helps mitigate my out of pocket expenses. I do believe there is a lot of value for the ticket price! The space alone is gorgeous, and it's literally right across the street from the convention center, so it's very convenient. It's also a completely private event just for us. We're also providing appetizers for the evening, as well as giving everyone pins that sell for $10, and doing a bunch of giveaways as well. This is on top of the ability to bring comics to trade, or sell. I've been to trading events that required $15-25 minimum spend at a comic book shop just to participate. What we're trying to put together is a safe, private, relaxed, fun environment to just hang out after the con. 

It's also an all ages venue, but do keep in mind that it is also a full bar. Thankfully we have our own private venue with separate entrance that bar & restaurant customers won't have access to. A couple attendees are bringing under age guests, and they can attend for free with paid admission. This is more about bringing everyone together than it is about recouping costs. 

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this a great event, please feel free to chime in. This is a community-driven event, and hopefully it will be a good way to get the local Bay Area comic collecting community together during San Francisco Comic Con. 

Edited by shortboxed

Update:

We've sold about half the available tickets already! 13 of 20 sold. Shaping up to be a fun event :)

The goal was to get at least 15 people together for a meetup and trade party and it looks like we'll get more than that, so I'm pretty stoked.

This is a true community event, so if any boardies are in or around the Bay Area, please share this event with other friends and collectors - need everyone's help to spread the word and bring the Bay Area comic book collecting community together!

Here's a direct link to details and tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/shortboxed-comic-book-swap-san-francisco-comic-con-after-party-tickets-36885215673 

Edited by shortboxed

1 hour ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

Good job. Nice that you pulled it off. If you do this for SVCC next spring, Harvey and I might be able to come.

Thanks! Just trying to get the local community together, so definitely would like to do another one in the future. SVCC seems to make the most sense!