• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nostalgic era top 3
1 1

39 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Mid 80’s is when I gravitated toward comics heavily. There are the usual suspects that everybody most likely has in common.   Perez Crisis on Infinite Earths # 7, Zeck  Secret Wars 8….  But there were others that left an impression that I have not forgotten.  Some came before my time; nevertheless   discovering the sword-and-sorcery comics from the seventies is also a nostalgic period for me, as I could not get enough of such movies like Beastmaster, Excalibur, Clash of the Titans, Krull, etc, etc.

latest?cb=200809040215501095523.jpglatest?cb=20070326125959

The Red Sonja cover was on the market in the last couple of years when Thorne decided to sell all of his original art he had been keeping over the years.

Since we're dreaming, I'll contribute; though it's hard to limit it to three...  (and these could change on any given day, ASM 23 instead of ASM 29, for example)

ff_1024x1024.jpg?v=1352229803

detail.jpg

image.png

Edited by Unca Ben

10 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

I don't know whether this was published, but I think the artist may be Jerry Paris, who drew various covers and pin-ups in the early 80s.  There was one strange issue of a comic named Forces In Combat where Paris seemed to have redrawn most of the artwork, for some reason including this page of the Golem, originally by Tony DeZuniga in Strange Tales #177.

Ah, I can see a similarity, yes. Especially in the hands... Cheers @Chaykin Stevens ! (great board name by the way Shaky  :headbang:)

My sweet spot is the early 90s.  I picked up all three off the supermarket newsstands (with discount price sticker on the cover).  

The art to all three caught my eye, plus each kicked off a new exciting storyline.

And I feel so fortunate that the original to Daredevil 319 is now in my collection.  I still hope to add a page from ASM 361 and Batman 492, some day.

AMZ361.jpg   Batman_492.jpg   Daredevil_Vol_1_319.jpg

Edited by Catwoman_Fan

56 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

Would love to the see the other two Marwood. :popcorn::hi:

Here they be @Spider-Variant

598f644506a9f_MTU3Page12.thumb.jpg.de8f6f0a1393b4583404f0ed48349d62.jpg

598f644099a5a_ASM137Page14.thumb.jpg.8f7fcc6c1ce5200da461932bc18d6728.jpg

There's a great book on the Andru / Esposito partnership if you can find a copy. Here that be:

20170113_115743.thumb.jpg.5a5cadefc7ff3a631f6e755e79afe7fb.jpg

Probably 88/89 for me, so I chose books dated to this time.  X-Men 101 should probably make the list as it was my first wall book ($6!).

I discovered X-Men fairly early in my comics buying career, thanks to the shop owner.  It took me two or three years to decide the writing was excruciating.

251 was just a great cover.  Hopefully I can get a nice Silvestri one day, though the cost may already be too high.

Any of the Inferno covers could have made the cut, as I think this is when I started buying it.

She Hulk 1 came in (for me) with little fanfare.  I didn't know it was coming out, and wouldn't have cared if I did.  The rest of the customers seemed to feel the same way, but everyone walked out with a copy.  It was pretty magnetic.

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_251.jpg

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_240.jpg

she hulk 1.jpg

My peak nostalgia period is 1979-1982.  Lots of favorite covers during this period by Perez/Austin; the Keith Pollard covers on Thor, FF & ASM; and Bob Layton's Iron Man covers.  So many classic Michael Golden covers are in this sweet spot.  And the "Hulk vs...Marvel Hero TBD" category is a separate list by itself --- Iron Man 132, Daredevil 163, Hulk 251, Captain America #110 cover (reprinted in a Fireside TPB in '79), etc.  Kirby's Captain Victory #1 cover drew me right in...that was the first time I really got into a Kirby book.  When I started collecting comic art, the first book I went thru to build my first want-list was X-Men/Teen Titans!

But I'm settling for these three:

59968e268598d_StarWars52October1981b.thumb.jpg.0321cb2fcbb516f0d101e006919507d4.jpg59968e5ec0f22_Micronauts15March1980b.gif.dd2cdd00a6c66474f8b5e8cb7de7d302.gif

59968e84cd33a_Thor292February1980.jpg.867e0e2d519c288a6549b6c79fc5fd02.jpg

Edited by The Shoveler
delete extra pics!

On 8/10/2017 at 6:33 PM, Brian Peck said:

The Red Sonja cover was on the market in the last couple of years when Thorne decided to sell all of his original art he had been keeping over the years.

Nice to see Frank Thorne on your nostalgic list Matches, The Sonja #10 cover was sold but like most of the Thorne works I do think it ended up in the right collection.

Z.

I am lucky enough to own a few of my most nostalgic pieces....

one of the top ones are the portfolio plates from Fastner and Larson , I have 3 of them but this one may be the most memorable "The Doctor will kill you now"

Then without question the Marvel Super Hero Secret Wars cover 4 - I think most people remember this, the characters are little but its such a memorable cover in the run with the Hulk not being happy !

after that its hard - in fact I find there are more sequences and panels and pages that stuck me the most - being into Martial Arts and D & D some of the main highlights for me were Daredevil, Ronin and Camelot 3000

so many that I could chose from those 3 runs...but I also started comics by reading Spidey Super Stories ...all the covers were fun, as were the stories, I really love my issue 4 cover - I grew up in NYC late 70's early 80's and to have this with Statue of Liberty in it is pretty awesome...

As far as art I don't have...my dreams are X-men 130 cover - Dazzler , X-men 145 with Dr Doom, Invaders #1 ...so many ! 

Fasner Larson.jpg

IMG_9457.JPG

Spidey Super Stories 4.jpg

Edited by Doc Joe

24 minutes ago, Doc Joe said:

I am lucky enough to own a few of my most nostalgic pieces....

one of the top ones are the portfolio plates from Fastner and Larson , I have 3 of them but this one may be the most memorable "The Doctor will kill you now"

Then without question the Marvel Super Hero Secret Wars cover 4 - I think most people remember this, the characters are little but its such a memorable cover in the run with the Hulk not being happy !

after that its hard - in fact I find there are more sequences and panels and pages that stuck me the most - being into Martial Arts and D & D some of the main highlights for me were Daredevil, Ronin and Camelot 3000

so many that I could chose from those 3 runs...but I also started comics by reading Spidey Super Stories ...all the covers were fun, as were the stories, I really love my issue 4 cover - I grew up in NYC late 70's early 80's and to have this with Statue of Liberty in it is pretty awesome...

As far as art I don't have...my dreams are X-men 130 cover - Dazzler , X-men 145 with Dr Doom, Invaders #1 ...so many ! 

Fasner Larson.jpg

IMG_9457.JPG

Spidey Super Stories 4.jpg

You have a great collection Doc!

My favorite villain from the electric company super stories was the wall. So stupid - and yet thats why I love it so much.  Just fun stuff that you could enjoy as a kid and laugh at thanks to its campiness as a grown up.

Video of the wall in action!

008-2.jpg

Great topic!

For me, the period between 1978-82 was when I became a comics fan. I was a serious Marvel Zombie, and I can thank the Avengers for that. That was when the title was firing on all cylinders, with my favorite lineup assembled, including heroes like the Vision, Cap, and the Wonder Man/Beast bromance.  It was also when I discovered Amazing Spider-Man and Dazzler ... 

First Dazzler issue I ever picked up was #3, off the spinner rack at the U-Totem across the street from our townhouse in South Miami. C'mon, look at that cover. How could you NOT want to read that book?? I picked this up from Brent Anderson years ago, and even though I also am lucky enough to own the Dazzler #1 cover painting, the nostalgic pull of this one is even stronger for me. Just love it...

dazzler3.jpg.415d7841e24eb438ba8167a2899a682c.jpg

I used to own the cover to Marvel Team-Up #78, another comic book that I read CONSTANTLY as a kid. Those Bronze Age MTU's were incredibly readable, and this one featured two of my favorites, so it was a natural to seek out. Maybe my biggest collecting regret is letting this one go when I needed to free up some cash. 

MTU78.jpg.277e5ade708060f21cee4ef39023bac4.jpg

Now here's 3 others that I would love to be able to add to my collection. The cover to Avengers #158 is a dream purchase for me, the first Avengers book I ever purchased (from a back issue longbox around 1980) and featuring the iconic Wondy vs The Vision scrap. It's also probably the first time I ever laid eyes on Jack Kirby's brilliance. I know this cover is on CAF -- one day, I will make a stupid offer....

avengers158.jpg.c917b658f533ca878c810bdde5295014.jpg

Unless I've gone broke trying to pry this one from another CAF member's hands. The Korvac saga ....'nuff said. I also LOVE the Vision corner box art from this era. perfection.

avengers-177.jpg.e8d454fff28ac97a6ac961f72fe582cc.jpg

One last one. I was also a big Byrne X-Men fan, like any other comics fan from this time. But Alpha Flight was a serious jam for me. Is the cover art to #1 out there? Talk about dreaming .... Byrne at his absolute, ever-lovin peak!

alphaflight1.jpg.1ca81fd71f0a77c745d03d8851a84fb8.jpg