• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 5
4 4

180 posts in this topic

I wish wecould do this like the old St Louis boards contests.  They would also have the other companies books to grade too. If money wasn't a factor it would be fun to send a book to the other two and then finally CGC and try to grade the same book 3 times.  But the cost would be crazy.

47 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

I'll keep playing, I love this contest I wait for it every year as it ties me to a time when dearly departed Nik was still with us and the major props as always should go to Andy and Shin for keeping his spirit alive on our little corner of the internet. 

As for the data mining I assume it happens, that's fine, to each their own. I don't enter the contest to be perceived as the best grader I know I'm pretty darn good with a book in hand and whether I'm 1st or 100th it doesn't matter it's about being part of the community. 

Rock on my friends!

:headbang:

37 minutes ago, toro said:

I wish wecould do this like the old St Louis boards contests.  They would also have the other companies books to grade too. If money wasn't a factor it would be fun to send a book to the other two and then finally CGC and try to grade the same book 3 times.  But the cost would be crazy.

the cost would be nuts UNLESS you got the three services to offer to provide their services for those 20 books as part of a promotion, and opening up the contest to members of forums for all three companies. The amount of time it would take to coordinate all that though seems like a real pain. And the chance that all three companies would be willing to participate TOGETHER seems impossible.

Now if an outside sponsor got involved-- say someone with big pockets from the big auction houses i.e. Heritage - that would be pretty amazing and help promote all grading services in general. Can't see why CGC would bother agreeing to that as the clear industry leader. And while this is interesting to some, it probably is way overboard compared to the simple and fun tournament that currently stands.

2 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:
2 hours ago, DeadOne said:

We can't even get a majority to agree to close the sales forum down for the 2 days of the VCC... but anything is possible.

I didn't even know we were asked.  Or where.  Or when the VCC is.

I don't think it has ever been officially asked, just bantered back and forth for years now.
Here's a link to a poll I just created in CG though.

As for the rest, the VCC Hall is HERE... all info. regarding the VCC can be found in there somewhere.

5 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Well I certainly hope that all those bullseyes were legit. I have  my doubts.

I see myself as a pretty damn good grader,but some of these books are very difficult.  I just have to wonder how the same people March right to the top just about every  year,coincidence?

My thinking is some books you cannot tell if damage is on case or on book.  There is no way to tell.  It's a craps shoot.  And some people come up boxcars every single time.

Edited by kav

22 minutes ago, kav said:

My thinking is some books you cannot tell if damage is on case or on book.  There is no way to tell.  It's a craps shoot.  And some people come up boxcars every single time.

Yep. Especially the higher grade books where a few defects can swing 3-4+ grade difference - especially when novices like me can't tell if it's a production-defect, plastic-case artifact or a real-deal defect on the book. Either you're aiming right at the target or you're chasing mirages.

I think some people take this way too seriously.  I play to test my grading knowledge plain and simple.  Those that treat this as an open book exam and use the census to get a few extra points, well that's on them.  I don't care one way or the other.  I do feel for those adhering to the honor system that may have been entitled to a better prize pick but for the folks who use census info.  FTR I don't use census and that is evident in my scores.  Someone stated earlier that those who consistently show in the top 10 or so is not a result of using the census and I'd tend to agree with that, they are just that good.  In so far as CGC obscuring census data even for limited serial numbers doubt that will ever happen.  Great contest as always and the gents who pulled this together should get 1st and 2nd prize picks!

CGC itself will grade the same book by a few points off if resubmitted.  It's subjective to some degree and no matter how good someone is, there is no way to overcome that randomness.   It's just not possible.   

On the flip side I don't see how it would be possible to get bulls every time because plenty of books like ASM 129 there are so many copies the census would be no help at all.

12 hours ago, AJD said:

That one was very informative. Personally, I think it should have been marked down way more. That scribbling essentially destroyed the value as a collectible for me. I gave it a 3.0, but I wouldn't buy a book like that at 3.0 money. Yet another example of 'buy the book, not the grade".

I'd buy that Gay book as a 4.0, no problem. 2c 

I look forward to this contest every year, and have nothing but respect for the people who put it together, supply prizes, etc.

The question of what to do about researching the census is legitimate and difficult to police.  What could be done is construct the contest around scans of 20 RAW books.  These books could be sent to CGC for grading just before the contest and ask CGC to release the grades as the contest proceeds.  Obviously they would have to want to do this but I can't see why they wouldn't.  Maybe they could ante up a prize as well?  

Just an idea, but I think it would be a very level playing field that way and the scans of raw books would make the grading less guess work (no case glare, case defects, etc)

i will always continue to participate, tone of fun and excitement and LOTS of learning??????

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I say they do a war comic next.

Kav.. wow this round six will be so tough , i fear i will get a goose egg on the IH102(shrug)  My confidence level is not very high when it comes to grading higher grade comics

i don't even own more a than a couple CGC 8.0 comics...the rest are all mid-grade at best........

thats just me though ,... i hope you roll the dice for a double 5 pointer !!

Image result for double five dice

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, thirdgreenham said:

I'd buy that Gay book as a 4.0, no problem. 2c 

That's so gay.....   :insane: