• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified .5 ?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

I sent in a book that was missing a page. I expected to get a .5, it's incomplete, I just wanted it slabbed. Instead I got a qualified .5? Qualified from what? Is that a normal grade? I don't usually slab so many books, so I'm a little lost here.

Edited by skypinkblu
extra space

5 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Never heard of that before. 

Same here, doesn't seem to make sense. Was there another defect(s) that would have caused it to be .5 without the Incomplete ? By definition the grade ignores the flaw on a Qualified. Not sure if CGC goes below .5, at least I can't remember seeing an example. Show us the Notes. 

I recently received the same grade.  Qualified 0.5.  Shouldn't it simply be a blue label 0.5?  Another forumite told me to call CGC and ask them to fix the problem.  I'm not sure that I want to.  A qualified 0.5 is SUPER rare! ;)

It's missing a page, hence the .5. I'll have to get the notes. It does say brittle pages. 

I wouldn't bother sending it back to be regraded, a .5 is a .5, I basically paid for the plastic, I just found it curious. 

It's very hard to find, so I didn't care, and I got it from a board member a zillion years ago.598ce8a072d46_planet13cgc001.thumb.jpg.ed411a70b21dae98b936002eaa7eb15f.jpg

34 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Another fine job by our boys in Sarasota. 

I think we have to see the notes. We know it has Brittle Pages, what if there is another major flaw like cover detached, maybe that puts it at .5 without the Incomplete. Is .5 the lowest they go ? 

Here are the notes, the wraps were not all split, btw, unless they became split after it left here. There were some splits, but I've had books you have to read  by picking up each page by page, this was not one of them;)

medium stain center of front cover
medium tear top of spine
missing page(s) 20 affects story
wraps split from brittleness

Sharon, in the interest of intellectual curiosity, it would be interesting to hear from CGC on this. I know you are okay with it but since you did bring it to our attention it would be appreciated if you contacted them. Someone else said they also received a Qualified so I doubt it is a 'mistake'. It does sound like the wraps separated from the handling so maybe it was a .5 without the Incomplete flaw. It's like getting a school grade of F-. Crazy.

It's a stupid grade, the whole meaning of qualified grading is to indicate what the grade would be without the flaw, which only makes sense if the the Q grade would have been higher. Given the brittle pages a Q1.0 would have been a more logical alternative than a universal .5.

7 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Sharon, in the interest of intellectual curiosity, it would be interesting to hear from CGC on this. I know you are okay with it but since you did bring it to our attention it would be appreciated if you contacted them. Someone else said they also received a Qualified so I doubt it is a 'mistake'. It does sound like the wraps separated from the handling so maybe it was a .5 without the Incomplete flaw. It's like getting a school grade of F-. Crazy.

6 hours ago, rjpb said:

It's a stupid grade, the whole meaning of qualified grading is to indicate what the grade would be without the flaw, which only makes sense if the the Q grade would have been higher. Given the brittle pages a Q1.0 would have been a more logical alternative than a universal .5.

Yes, please if you wouldn't mind. The grade makes no sense by any set of grading standards. .5=poor. Every flaw you enumerated equals poor (including incompleteness). It would be nice to understand; my theory is they are changing the way they handle brittleness; nothing else makes sense. (A brittle book can look nice, but if it crumbles at the touch, poor alone does not fully explain it. At least, I cannot think of anything else that would marry these two concepts of .5 and qualified. Is it very brittle?)

No, not very brittle at all, or I would not have bought it.

I wouldn't even know who to contact, to be honest.   Since it was submitted by a friend, I don't know if I can call or I'd have to ask him to, and since he's very busy, I don't want to inconvenience him.

These are the before pictures, you can see the pages are not even browning.

598e12366a485_planet13_0001.thumb.jpg.2c44672e7d4f08d0725e6be265e92f6d.jpg

598e1243a9749_planet13_0002.thumb.jpg.b0c39d54d4cf3187ca2cad307883e06f.jpg

24 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

No, not very brittle at all, or I would not have bought it.

I wouldn't even know who to contact, to be honest.   Since it was submitted by a friend, I don't know if I can call or I'd have to ask him to, and since he's very busy, I don't want to inconvenience him.

These are the before pictures, you can see the pages are not even browning.

598e12366a485_planet13_0001.thumb.jpg.2c44672e7d4f08d0725e6be265e92f6d.jpg

598e1243a9749_planet13_0002.thumb.jpg.b0c39d54d4cf3187ca2cad307883e06f.jpg

Maybe they just did it because you are such a dork.

I also cannot think of anything other than a .5 blue.  On the same topic I have a NG Qualified with a married front cover and most of the insides--just picked up a back cover--how many pages inside do I need to qualify for a .5 ??