• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified .5 ?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

FYI, I have asked this question in the ASK CGC thread.   Let's see if they answer. 

On 8/10/2017 at 8:11 AM, skypinkblu said:

I sent in a book that was missing a page. I expected to get a .5, it's incomplete, I just wanted it slabbed. Instead I got a qualified .5? Qualified from what? Is that a normal grade? I don't usually slab so many books, so I'm a little lost here.

On 8/10/2017 at 8:32 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

Sharon, in the interest of intellectual curiosity, it would be interesting to hear from CGC on this. I know you are okay with it but since you did bring it to our attention it would be appreciated if you contacted them. Someone else said they also received a Qualified so I doubt it is a 'mistake'. It does sound like the wraps separated from the handling so maybe it was a .5 without the Incomplete flaw. It's like getting a school grade of F-. Crazy.

Here's my qualified 0.5:

DS27 Q05.JPG

Thanks @YorickIs yours a recent slab, too? 

I have not had the time to contact them, @Bomber-Bob. I have no plans to mail it back. The pages were not split when I sent it, or I would not have sent it and I'm not sure how you get less than a "Poor". 

I did have a friend on the eBay chatboard who would give grades like "Near Lint" and POS - (I'm not translating that one;) Maybe he got a job as a grader, lol;)

56 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I have not had the time to contact them, @Bomber-Bob. I have no plans to mail it back. The pages were not split when I sent it, or I would not have sent it and I'm not sure how you get less than a "Poor". 

I did have a friend on the eBay chatboard who would give grades like "Near Lint" and POS - (I'm not translating that one;) Maybe he got a job as a grader, lol;)

I think this is a recent policy change possibly, because I had a book come back a few weeks ago -- GA book missing the back cover -- was expecting a blue .5 (since there are many blue "back cover missing" GA books out there), but I also got a green label Qualified .5 with a note about the missing back cover.  I actually think it makes more sense having incomplete books in the non-blue holders really, even though I'm disappointed having my book in the green holder! lol

19 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

I think this is a recent policy change possibly, because I had a book come back a few weeks ago -- GA book missing the back cover -- was expecting a blue .5 (since there are many blue "back cover missing" GA books out there), but I also got a green label Qualified .5 with a note about the missing back cover.  I actually think it makes more sense having incomplete books in the non-blue holders really, even though I'm disappointed having my book in the green holder! lol

Thank you very much for posting @Action252Kid, but I'm not sure I agree. Unless they invent a new grade with an "I" the book is a poor. The current grade for a poor is .5.

Qualified only makes sense if there IS a lower grade it would be, if it was in a blue label.

I really never liked the whole green label thing anyway. The grade is the grade, saying...well, it COULD be grade X, is like of like saying someone wouldn't be pregnant, except they are.

I also wish they would let us know if they are switching policies before the books are mailed in.

Edited by skypinkblu

16 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Thank you very much for posting @Action252Kid, but I'm not sure I agree. Unless they invent a new grade with an "I" the book is a poor. The current grade for a poor is .5.

Qualified only makes sense if there IS a lower grade it would be, if it was in a blue label.

I really never liked the whole green label thing anyway. The grade is the grade, saying...well, it COULD be grade X, is like of like saying someone wouldn't be pregnant, except they are.

I also wish they would let us know if they are switching policies before the books are mailed in.

I agree with you. Neither book posted as examples (yours or Yorick's) gives the outward appearance of a .5 (a complete .5 needs to be much uglier); they both owe their "poor" status to incompleteness. The implication of the "Qualified" label is that the grade assigned (in this case .5) is what the book would be if it were complete. They are defying their own established pattern of logic. It will be interesting to see what answer comes in response to Bomber bob's post.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Yeah, I'm not sure if it was a policy change or just a mix up.  In my case it was a Captain Marvel Adventures #1 with a missing back cover.  It was graded last month as a Green .5 (no back cover), but I have another different copy of the very same book (also missing a back cover) which is a Blue .5 (no back cover) graded maybe a year ago.  So it's either a change or inconsistency, but given the fact that there are many GA books with missing back covers in Blue .5 holders, I'd personally prefer that they stuck with putting those books in blue holders, since that's the way it has been in the past.  

BTW, though I really don't understand the procedures behind the ASK CGC thread, apparently they rejected my question about clarification of the Qualified .5 grade. I pointed them to this thread. I'm puzzled because it seems like a reasonable question, this thread has been respectful, and why wouldn't they explain it to us ?

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

BTW, though I really don't understand the procedures behind the ASK CGC thread, apparently they rejected my question about clarification of the Qualified .5 grade. I pointed them to this thread. I'm puzzled because it seems like a reasonable question, this thread has been respectful, and why wouldn't they explain it to us ?

I wonder why they would reject it? Transparency, including published grading standards used, would frankly be a good thing. 

Yes, there's an art to it too, and one cannot enumerate every flaw in advance in written form. But just as Overstreet puts grade definitions in print in the guide, published standards plus the grading notes for any book should be enough for any collector to reconcile the grade assigned to a particular book.

But for now I would settle for understanding what a "Qualified .5" is. Maybe I never understood the Qualified label correctly? (shrug) But we all seem to have the same understanding of it.

Edited by Readcomix
Typo from auto-correct

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

I know people are going to throw rocks at me, but I could swear I've seen a book graded 0.1 before.  I think it was missing a lot of wraps.  And I promise I'm well versed in the grading scale.

Maybe I just dreamed it.

I think you are right but not CGC .

On 8/24/2017 at 6:31 PM, skypinkblu said:

Yes, a recent submission (about February of this year).

It must be something new.  However, I always understood a qualified label to mean they look past that obvious huge flaw and grade the book as if it wasn't there.  Mine is definitely a blue label 0.5, but qualified 0.5?  I think I'm echoing everyone elses sentiments here...

I just got hit with this.  Sent in a Batman #47 with no back cover.  Its coming back qualified .5

Qualified     Grader Notes     .5     CREAM TO OFF-WHITE     Back cover missing. (Tape on cover, interior cover & interior.) INCOMPLETE

Grade Notes:

medium tear right center of front cover
missing back cover
tape cover
tape interior
tape interior cover

Just call them and ask. Its most likely a policy change but could also be someone not paying attention. I sent in a bone 1 signed by jeff smith a while back (no cgc witness, just how i bought it raw). I was expecting a green label, lol, and it came back blue. You tell me, it clearly should have been a green label. They are human and just plainly miss stuff sometimes.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:13 AM, ComicCarl said:

Just call them and ask. Its most likely a policy change but could also be someone not paying attention. I sent in a bone 1 signed by jeff smith a while back (no cgc witness, just how i bought it raw). I was expecting a green label, lol, and it came back blue. You tell me, it clearly should have been a green label. They are human and just plainly miss stuff sometimes.

I think the policy is if a non-witnessed signature book is going to grade less than 9.0 (approximate range), then they don't grade it Green.  The blue means they took the "writing" into account with the grade they gave it (maybe a grade point lower?).  I suppose the test would be if you can find a green label "signature" book lower than 9.0.

43 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I think the policy is if a non-witnessed signature book is going to grade less than 9.0 (approximate range), then they don't grade it Green.  The blue means they took the "writing" into account with the grade they gave it (maybe a grade point lower?).  I suppose the test would be if you can find a green label "signature" book lower than 9.0.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Incredible-Hulk-1999-2nd-Series-1DFGOLD-CGC-8-0-QUALIFIED-0309857002-/132307289131

Qualified 8.0 due to a signature and a small sketch on the cover. Now I'm curious as to what kind of grade a qualified book with a full cover sketch would get hm