• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mister Miracle - 12 issue limited

26 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2017 at 6:32 AM, darkstar said:

How would you know the print run for a book that released two days ago?

On 8/11/2017 at 9:51 AM, Couchy81 said:

How did you find the print run? 

Copies are selling for $10-20 on eBay because it's sold out at many places. 

Great read BTW, best single first issue in all of Rebirth for a new title. Very promising. 

I am not sure if the number was accurate. I will have to find the article it was a ballpark number from an interview with Tom King I believe.

I assume a bunch of people read issue 2? Loved it - the story progressed quite a bit, and the Gerads' art continues to be really interesting. My only criticism was a few times, the art was hard to make out given the "roughness" of the lines (I had to look a few times at panels to really understand what it was I was seeing), but overall, loving this book.

Spoiler

Really interesting relationships being explored between Orion and Scott Free, and then Scott Free and Granny Goodness! I didn't have that much background as I hadn't read Kirby's Mister Miracle / Fourth World issues (though read a synopsis / wikipedia online just to get some context), but I felt the book gave enough information on its own even for new readers who're jumping on now.

Jim Lee did a Facebook Live interview with Mitch Gerads last week, and he mentioned that this is one of the rare titles that Issue 2 was ordered more than Issue 1, and Issue 3 has been ordered more than Issue 2. I picked up a reader copy of the Issue 1 2nd print as well (so I could re-read it before Issue 2), given I got my #1 1st print signed and slabbed by Tom King at Fan Expo over Labor Day weekend.

Thoughts now that it is over?  This is the first series I've picked up since 2012, the hype pulled me in, and I obviously have a long-standing fondness for Kirby's 4th World characters.  This may be the best superhero storyline I've read from Marvel or DC since Kingdom Come.  Amazing story, particularly as it focuses on the Scott Free & Barda relationship.  High point of the series for me was the end of issue #5.  Barda simply says one word ("Stay") and you know everything is going to be all right.

I'm sure some will be let down by the ending, but it was clear about midway through the run that it would be impossible to reconcile this with DCU continuity.  Every post-Kirby treatment of these characters-- including Kirby's own Hunger Dogs resolution-- exists in its own bubble, with every version basically ignoring every other post-1974 story.  Personally, I'm happy with this version, a version where Mister Miracle finally, actually... escapes from all the lesser attempts to tell his story over the years.  

Edited by Zonker

Loved it. This is one of the few books I picked up on Wednesdays, and as we were approaching the end, really looked forward to. I think Tom King and Mitch Gerads really pulled off another great one, and I put this up there with King's Vision run in terms of showcasing what can be done with the comic book medium at the highest level. As King is great at, there was some great adult themes here on happiness, deriving meaning from life, family vs worldly responsibilities, just fantastic stuff.

I'll be honest, the first time I read #12, I wasn't sure I really understood what the "real story" was, and I re-read #11 and #12 again a few days later. I have all the single issues, and at some point, I'll re-read them all again binge-mode and see if I can take more in. But here's my take...

Spoiler

@Zonker I agree with you, I think in the end, what's happening is that Mister Miracle killed himself in #1 in the in-continuity DC Universe, and the rest of the story takes place in some other universe (I heard an interesting take on Comics Conspiracy podcast that he's actually in OUR world), where "Heaven" is our world, and "Hell" is Apokolips. And that Scott could've escaped back into the DC Universe, but chose to stay in "Heaven" / "Our World" given the life he's able to live out with Big Barda, and kids. As Oberon says in #12, the DC Universe world is no better than "Our World", and so he might as well enjoy his time here. Err, or something like that... hm