• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting issue with GCG Registered Mail
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone.  

I am writing you today on an odd experience that I am sure only I have had when receiving a package from CGC.  Foremost, this is an issue that is not CGCs fault, but the  US post office.   I had my Uncanny  X-men 510 Sketch variant  J Scott Campbell Graded from SDCC this year, and was in the process of being shipped back to me.   I paid for Registered Mail and we all know  how this process works.  Package gets a big fat RED label and is locked up when transferred and scanned from Office to office until it arrives where you sign for it.  In my case my Registered mail was seen as a Priority Package only.  

Moving forward.  After a long deal of 5 days and a lost package, I get it today.  And the issue of the lost package is amazing and crazy. GCG uses Registered Mail to send its packages. They use a Priority Mail Number starting with  "9" etc.  Registered Mail uses "RR" etc in their delivery number. The priority mail number is linked with the Registred mail in order to not have 2 separate tracking. I assume this is how this works.   CGC Also Places A big fat RED label that shows registered mail.   Within my case of issues, The post office Screwed up big time.    With my Postal code tracking number using a "9" with an attached Registered Mail,  When scanned the Post office thought it was  priority only because of the tracking starting with "9"  My box even though it got issued a Registered mail, RED label, it flopped along the mail route like Priority mail.  Apparently once it got to Santa Clarita Ca, it just  was removed for scanning and never put back into the Registered Mail bag with lock and key. So my packaged bounced around like a piece of $10 priory mail for 5 more days, No one bothered to even look and or care that is a Registered mail package and should be locked up.  When I spoke with the Local Post office here they told me the issue with the Numbers and when it seen as a "9" and not a "RR" red label they just did not take it to be as important.   I had a nice women from the Main Office here in LA, call me and apologize that they were NOT doing their jobs and that will be looked into.  Heck I should have gotten a shipping refund.

Oh and the best part.  I never singed for it. I just appeared at my doorstep.  

Keep your eyes on the tracking number, I know you all do, but don't dismiss it.  I am sure this will never happen to any of you, but  it  happened to me. 

My personal  little Holy Grail, Got it in 09 at comic con. Little did I know it would be an amazing book to have. 

Happy but discouraged in the uses of Registered mail .

Ranger565 aka Wampler

510.jpg

I am beginning to feel your pain with this.  I too have a registered mail shipment on its way with a tracking number that starts with a 9 instead of RR and it is taking forever.  Registered Mail on USPS says it can take up to 14 days to arrive and it's really living up to its word.  My shipment departed CGC on the 4th and had no updates for 4 days after leaving Tampa until it arrived in Washington, DC.  For the last 3 days it has been "on its way to the destination (my address)" from Washington, DC but has yet to arrive.  Here's the tracking progress thus far.  Not sure if it goes out for delivery each day but then has to be sent back to DC for some reason or it really has been in Transit since the 9th (I have a text message saying it was in transit to me on the 9th, 10th, and 11th).  I haven't received the pink missed delivery slip in the mail yet so it must really still be on its way.  I imagine a really slow beat up USPS truck being pushed from DC stuck in traffic still miles from my home. Maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day! :wishluck: 

image.thumb.png.3f578f54b60df03c29edf09a1f4b7102.png

I have a collector's insurance policy from CIS, and they cover the insurance on packages I ship or receive.  You have to use signature confirmation, and different services have to be used depending on the value of the package.  I use UPS for all my my CGC packages.  They get to me in two days, and I have them routed to the local UPS store.  I get an email when package arrives, and I pick it up after work.  Easy.

UPS is a lot cheaper than registered mail and without all of the headaches.  I've had registered mail get lost inside the destination post office, and I've had it take almost three weeks to get to me.  I hate using it.

If you ship or receive a lot, you may save enough on shipping insurance and/or registered mail to offset the cost of a policy.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:22 PM, justafan said:

I am beginning to feel your pain with this.  I too have a registered mail shipment on its way with a tracking number that starts with a 9 instead of RR and it is taking forever.  Registered Mail on USPS says it can take up to 14 days to arrive and it's really living up to its word.  My shipment departed CGC on the 4th and had no updates for 4 days after leaving Tampa until it arrived in Washington, DC.  For the last 3 days it has been "on its way to the destination (my address)" from Washington, DC but has yet to arrive.  Here's the tracking progress thus far.  Not sure if it goes out for delivery each day but then has to be sent back to DC for some reason or it really has been in Transit since the 9th (I have a text message saying it was in transit to me on the 9th, 10th, and 11th).  I haven't received the pink missed delivery slip in the mail yet so it must really still be on its way.  I imagine a really slow beat up USPS truck being pushed from DC stuck in traffic still miles from my home. Maybe tomorrow will be my lucky day! :wishluck: 

image.thumb.png.3f578f54b60df03c29edf09a1f4b7102.png

UPDATE: So apparently it's taking the pinball route.  Went north to Washington, DC, then on the 12th it went south to Richmond, VA and now it says its on it's way back north to me.  Guess it has to hit every major city's PO before it arrives.  Hope to find out if it actually does arrive today.  If it shows an update status of being back in Washington, DC I'll know something's gone really wrong.

I will have to look into UPS with CIS.  So CGC allows you to ship via UPS/FedEx without using that carriers insurance?  Did they just put the max value that carrier permits and the rest is covered by CIS?  For CIS to cover shipping isn't that with their dealer or vendor's category of insurance?

CGC will allow you to ship UPS using your own insurance coverage.  I've never had to make a claim, but I'm sure they would go by the dollar amount you listed on the CGC invoice. 

I have regular collector's insurance and not the dealer/vendor variety.  There are three categories of shipping coverage, and you have to use different carriers for each.  UPS is good for up to $2500 with signature confirmation.

The only  3 registered mail packages I've got in my life have been from CGC... 2 of these were delivered with no checking of ID or signature.  Just scanned and handed off to me.  I have often wondered how lucky CGC must be to not have had this sort of thing happen with mis-shipped books (the 3 AF 15s in a recent thread) and someone having their very expensive book come up missing.

Old thread I know but it’s been a week since I’ve seen any update on a CGC registered priority mail package. It’s worth over $10,000 too.  Looks like it’s been 10 days since it originally shipped. Usually I get packages in 5 days from them.  
curious if anyone else has experienced these delays.  They’re in Florida I’m in Texas...

Houston here. Mine shipped last Wednesday before Imelda. I thought it was sent by Priority which would have placed the package at the North Houston facility when the roof collapsed. 

I also haven’t got any updates on mine but I‘ve read that’s normal. 

I called USPS and they told me it was actually registered mail so it might not have been there. At any rate they say it can take up to 14 days so I wouldn’t worry just yet. 

Edited by GFlo

Thanks. I’ll try not worry about it...but it still has not updated since Sept 19 when it left Tampa..almost like it never arrived to its destination.

September 19, 2019, 8:07 am 
Departed USPS Facility 
TAMPA, FL 33630  
Your item departed our USPS facility in TAMPA, FL 33630 on September 19, 2019 at 8:07 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

USPS is no help either on providing more details. Big surprise. 
curious what other see that are stuck. 

Edited by Gruson

I was a letter carrier, and unless things have changed dramatically since I left in 2001, things don’t work like it has been described here.

For an insured package it is like any other type of insurance. Almost every claim is denied and they figure most people will just give up and walk away. No matter the carrier, it is always the same.

Registered gets paid out when packages are lost , that’s why it is so rare they get lost. It is also why it is so frustratingly slow. Anyone who touches them has to sign off. 

It makes no sense to send valuables any other way than Registered and ALWAYS signature confirmation required.

If it is not signature confirmation you will not be covered if a home invader signs for your valuables.

But always know Registered is Vveeerrrryyyy Slooooowwww.

Just as a side note, we were told as carriers we were personally responsible for lost Registered mail and our paychecks would be attached until we paid back any losses. I would always check ID on a regi.

UPDATE: my two packages were updated today. One is scheduled to be delivered today, the day I’m off from work. I had it delivered to work. 

So if I’m not there to sign, the postman will ask for anyone’s signature unless it says “to be signed by addressee only”. If it does then will they try again tomorrow?

On 8/10/2017 at 2:51 PM, Ranger565 said:

Hello Everyone.  

I am writing you today on an odd experience that I am sure only I have had when receiving a package from CGC.  Foremost, this is an issue that is not CGCs fault, but the  US post office.   I had my Uncanny  X-men 510 Sketch variant  J Scott Campbell Graded from SDCC this year, and was in the process of being shipped back to me.   I paid for Registered Mail and we all know  how this process works.  Package gets a big fat RED label and is locked up when transferred and scanned from Office to office until it arrives where you sign for it.  In my case my Registered mail was seen as a Priority Package only.  

Moving forward.  After a long deal of 5 days and a lost package, I get it today.  And the issue of the lost package is amazing and crazy. GCG uses Registered Mail to send its packages. They use a Priority Mail Number starting with  "9" etc.  Registered Mail uses "RR" etc in their delivery number. The priority mail number is linked with the Registred mail in order to not have 2 separate tracking. I assume this is how this works.   CGC Also Places A big fat RED label that shows registered mail.   Within my case of issues, The post office Screwed up big time.    With my Postal code tracking number using a "9" with an attached Registered Mail,  When scanned the Post office thought it was  priority only because of the tracking starting with "9"  My box even though it got issued a Registered mail, RED label, it flopped along the mail route like Priority mail.  Apparently once it got to Santa Clarita Ca, it just  was removed for scanning and never put back into the Registered Mail bag with lock and key. So my packaged bounced around like a piece of $10 priory mail for 5 more days, No one bothered to even look and or care that is a Registered mail package and should be locked up.  When I spoke with the Local Post office here they told me the issue with the Numbers and when it seen as a "9" and not a "RR" red label they just did not take it to be as important.   I had a nice women from the Main Office here in LA, call me and apologize that they were NOT doing their jobs and that will be looked into.  Heck I should have gotten a shipping refund.

Oh and the best part.  I never singed for it. I just appeared at my doorstep.  

Keep your eyes on the tracking number, I know you all do, but don't dismiss it.  I am sure this will never happen to any of you, but  it  happened to me. 

My personal  little Holy Grail, Got it in 09 at comic con. Little did I know it would be an amazing book to have. 

Happy but discouraged in the uses of Registered mail .

Ranger565 aka Wampler

510.jpg

I would be beside myself with rage!

Nice book

Thankfully you got it and it didn't have shaken comic syndrome.:censored::pullhair::frustrated:

13 hours ago, Gruson said:

Really depends on the mailman.  He may accept any adult signature or may only accept yours.  That is what I’ve seen.  

Still no update on mine since Sept 19...

Update 2: It was delivered today. Like I said, no updates since Tampa on the 17th then out for delivery today and finally delivered. Somebody else signed for it at the office  

Just now, GFlo said:

Update 2: It was delivered today. Like I said, no updates since Tampa on the 17th then out for delivery today and finally delivered. Somebody else signed for it at the office  

I just came to update mine too. No updates since the 18th and it shows up today. Unreal but glad I can sleep now. Lol

first time this has happened...usually here within 3-5 days for me.  Thanks for the replies.  Glad you got yours too.