• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Marvel Preview 2
3 3

33 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

How do you tag? I really value Jayman,bountycoder,wombat, batmeista, and DeadOnes opinions on mags.

put a @ sign b4 person name

What up O-A-K!!! @oakman29 the horn sounded and thee brethren come a marching.

@punksdropdirtysrh yeah I have seen 9.4 CGC books with abraded corners (common in magazine manufacturing) and color breaking creases (very tiny) to corner.  I've seen 9.6's with similar as well. I've seen 9.8's with abraded spine corners (as they are...as said common with magazine manufacturing).

From what I have seen CGC grades Magazines pretty darn close to how they grade Golden Age Comics.

Now, that is assuming there are not non-color breaking creases all over the book.  If so then it's probably below a 9.4 for sure.

Hope this helps?

1 minute ago, bounty_coder said:

@punksdropdirtysrh yeah I have seen 9.4 CGC books with abraded corners (common in magazine manufacturing) and color breaking creases (very tiny) to corner.  I've seen 9.6's with similar as well. I've seen 9.8's with abraded spine corners (as they are...as said common with magazine manufacturing).

From what I have seen CGC grades Magazines pretty darn close to how they grade Golden Age Comics.

Now, that is assuming there are not non-color breaking creases all over the book.  If so then it's probably below a 9.4 for sure.

Hope this helps?

:headbang: My MAN!

Are the staples rusty? It just may be dirt on the back cover, but it could also be rust migration. Additionally, how deep is the scratch on the bottom right corner of the front cover?

14 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I would put more stock in Oaks opinions as a mag collector

my initial impression was 8.5 mostly because of that corner and the scuffs. For a magazine though-- that is in great shape.

The question is-- do you entomb it or keep it raw and available to be read?

Thanks, I plan on keeping it raw. 

13 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Hope this helps?

Thanks bounty! Very happy to hear your input. 

18 hours ago, oakman29 said:

How do you tag? I really value Jayman,bountycoder,wombat, batmeista, and DeadOnes opinions on mags.

I'm beyond honored to be included in that group.

@punksdropdirtysrh, I'm tough on books with abraded corners as well, probably more so when the book isn't in hand and we all see those close up pictures that make it difficult to put it into perspective for the overall niceness of the book.
This book is especially difficult to grade in pictures and scans just because the "shattering glass" artwork all the way to the edges is very distracting when really looking for potential flaws.

What I see is:

• abraded corners at both top and bottom (bottom seems worse - top is more evident on the back cover)
  • very small creases at the top right corner of front cover
  • maybe some color rubbing (hard to tell in the pictures) on the far right and bottom edges of the front cover
  • some soiling along the spine edge of the back cover
  • pages seem (at least from the photo) to be off-white more so along the edges

All that into consideration with the overall look of the book, which is very nice (flat, glossy, tight spine with no visible spine ticks, supple pages), I'd go 9.0 but could easily see it being a 9.4 when in hand.

It's a nice copy... (worship)

Edited by DeadOne

50 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I'm beyond honored to be included in that group.

@punksdropdirtysrh, I'm tough on books with abraded corners as well, probably more so when the book isn't in hand and we all see those close up pictures that make it difficult to put it into perspective for the overall niceness of the book.
This book is especially difficult to grade in pictures and scans just because the "shattering glass" artwork all the way to the edges is very distracting when really looking for potential flaws.

What I see is:

• abraded corners at both top and bottom (bottom seems worse - top is more evident on the back cover)
  • very small creases at the top right corner of front cover
  • maybe some color rubbing (hard to tell in the pictures) on the far right and bottom edges of the front cover
  • some soiling along the spine edge of the back cover
  • pages seem (at least from the photo) to be off-white more so along the edges

All that into consideration with the overall look of the book, which is very nice (flat, glossy, tight spine with no visible spine ticks, supple pages), I'd go 9.0 but could easily see it being a 9.4 when in hand.

It's a nice copy... (worship)

My mag bro's have spoken, thanks guys.:headbang:

We are small, but we are legion!