• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL show us your PG/NG INCOMPLETE CGC pages thread!
3 3

86 posts in this topic

I've been contemplating for some time picking up a page (PG/NG) from a major key book. I've always thought it would be pretty neat to own a single page when the full comic just isn't within your financial means, even in uber low grade. I think owning a page could be the next best thing. I do wonder however about where these pages comes from in some cases. Are complete but very low grade books being taken apart? I suppose in some cases it's worth taking the book apart and selling pages individually? I guess if a super low grade book can bring enjoyment to several collectors it may better serve its purpose. 

Edited by TheAvenger80

I bought a Superman 1 CGC NG page.  Not being able to afford a complete copy this gives me a chance to own a page of a Superman 1.

It has the Superman logo and him in costume.  I'm happy I purchased it and don't plan on ever selling it.

The CGC authentication is what makes buying a page viable for me, otherwise who knows if it is a reprint or not.  I would not buy a loose non CGC page.

Value wise,  I think a coverless Superman ` or even a CGC 0.5 would be worth more whole (or incomplete with cover) would be worth more than the sum of individual pages. 

GPA has CGC 0.5 incomplete at $26k and 0.5 incomplete back cover missing at $57k (2016 sales). 

We all have different comics we collect.  If you like it, and it makes you happy to have it buy it.  I don't understand the high prices for some readily available moderns and some will not understand me buying one page of a Superman 1.  I plan on buying pages from a couple of other comics too.

Edited by boatfund

15 minutes ago, boatfund said:

I bought a Superman 1 CGC NG page.  Not being able to afford a complete copy this gives me a chance to own a page of a Superman 1.

It has the Superman logo and him in costume.  I'm happy I purchased it and don't plan on ever selling it.

The CGC authentication is what makes buying a page viable for me, otherwise who knows if it is a reprint or not.  I would not buy a loose non CGC page.

Value wise,  I think a coverless Superman ` or even a CGC 0.5 would be worth more whole (or incomplete with cover) would be worth more than the sum of individual pages. 

GPA has CGC 0.5 incomplete at $26k and 0.5 incomplete back cover missing at $57k (2016 sales). 

We all have different comics we collect.  If you like it, and it makes you happy to have it buy it.  I don't understand the high prices for some readily available moderns and some will not understand me buying one page of a Superman 1.  I plan on buying pages from a couple of other comics too.

Well said. Pretty much how I feel. 

I have zero interest in owning anything other than a complete copy of a comic.  I hate coverless copies and single pages even more so but I'm lucky enough to both have a collecting focus where there's an abundance of copies available at affordable prices with covers and have the means in which to afford a complete copy.  If I can't afford it, I don't want it in any less condition than I'd be satisfied.  This might be one of the reasons I just can't jump into OA.  I like the covers and pinups which go for insane money I can't/won't afford and the more affordable OA pages are just not palatable to me enough to spend the money on. 

While I understand the acquisition perspective of those who find it better to have a piece of an iconic and historical book, I just fear that slabbing them creates incentive to dismantle low grade or even complete coverless copies.  Other than that fear, I have no issue with it. To each his own as collecting goes; I just hope no one is destroying history to parse out pieces of it. That said, if someone has an incomplete copy of a major key that is starting to turn brittle, perhaps in a case like that it is the best way to preserve history. I guess for me, how the page is parsed out very much matters. Not that I get to be the arbiter, but that's my logic and my perspective as a collector: we are stewards of these rare things our hobby prizes; try to make the best long-term decision as well.

Anybody can collect whatever they want, anyone can also throw their money away on whatever they want , i know a woman who collects cows and everything in her house has a cow theme , even the toilet seat ,

i know another woman who spent a small fortune on plastic designer egg type collectables, she even spent $500 on one of them , they are nearly worthless now and she needs money but there are thousands for sale on eBay and very few sold listings 

i personally would not want in my collection , even for free,  a no grade NG graded page but to each his own

I'm happy owning a page from Superman #1, but I do agree with those who have said that the value of single pages should never make it "profitable" to destroy a key issue and break it up.  I don't want to see a time when nearly-complete copies of books like Superman #1 are purposefully destroyed to sell page by page.  The only pages that need to be slabbed (proven to be authentic) are the ones where so many wraps are missing and so much damage has occurred that there's no chance of making it "whole" again.

The problem is that with more popping up recently I wonder the source, it would be hard for me to buy one because I don't want to "encourage" the destruction for "profit". I've held a single TEC page of Batman at my LCS. It wasn't graded, but I want to say the owner said it was TEC 27 or 28 and it had Batman coming through or out the window, been a minute since this happened and I've slept since then lol 

I did ask how much it was, but the LCS "the owner" said it was $700 :) Had I the money I might have been tempted as it was an OW page

But I couldn't get that attached to save for it because in the back of my mind I'd wonder what happened to the rest of it.....

A slabbed single page to me is as ridiculous as a slabbed whole comic, though maybe the whole comic is worse since you can't even look at it because it's sealed up, which defeats it's whole purpose. I personally don't care and don't see how it is any different really than what's been done for literally more than a hundred years with books, with prints being removed from them and sold separately. It is stupid to me though why anyone would want it. People only want it because it's some piece of some popular thing everyone wants for some reason. No one wants single pages of most anything else. They just want to feel like they have something important and to make them feel special. I don't get it.

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

At first I didn't like the concept and thought it was wrong of CGC to encapsulate them. However, I have changed my mind. It appears no decent copies of books are being pieced out, only the absolute drek copies, so no real harm done. 

I agree. If a complete book has value (financial, rarity etc), and is in decent shape, no one sensible is going to take it apart. If it is a fairly common book in low grade with missing pieces / pages etc, then 'destroying' it is hardly the crime of the century. It's not as if there are not others in plentiful supply to represent it's complete existence.

There are many benefits to splitting up a book - the owner gets more money by breaking it up. He may need the money. More people get the chance to own a piece of history that would be financially out of their reach if complete. CGC gets work. The end graded product can be aesthetically pleasing.

Like Bomber-Bob, I didn't like the idea at first. If you love comics, pulling them apart is an alien concept at first glance. But once you've got over your purist self, it can actually be a good thing. And at the end of the day, it gets dark. Also, it's no ones business really but the owners and the buyers.

One related question from me. CGC legitimise the practice by grading single pages. Do those single pages add to the census count, e.g. there are 10,000 graded copies of AF #15, 500 of which are single pages (graded NG)? If so, one split up book could add 20 copies to the numbers. How does that part work?

7 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Anybody can collect whatever they want, anyone can also throw their money away on whatever they want , i know a woman who collects cows and everything in her house has a cow theme , even the toilet seat ,

I used to collect cows too. I packed them in or divorced them once it became clear though. 

Spoiler

Sorry, it was either that or an udder pun. 

55 minutes ago, Philflound said:
12 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i wouldn't want a graded page in my collection 

Pages aren't graded.

Isn't 'no grade' a grade in the same way that zero is a number? hm