• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL show us your PG/NG INCOMPLETE CGC pages thread!
3 3

86 posts in this topic

Don't like it. 

- If you're gonna collect a page from a comic book then get into OA:sumo:

- If you're gonna collect a single page does it really need to be CGC submitted?  Why not just buy a picture frame and display it(shrug)

- At some point a comic (or in this case, a portion of a comic) should be considered "worthless"...what's next?...a panel from a page:facepalm:

***But I understand about the power of nostalgia(thumbsu

4 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

- At some point a comic (or in this case, a portion of a comic) should be considered "worthless"...what's next?...a panel from a page:facepalm:

Good point.

CGC have set a precedent by grading single pages. Would they grade half a page? A key first appearance panel?

A Marvel Value Stamp?

hm

I don't understand people saying that owning a page as a "trophy" or just to "say" they have a piece is any different than owning a complete comic or anything else. I buy a comic because it is historical and a piece of art and because I appreciate it, same as I would a single page. It's about collecting what you like, same as any other collectible. My only aversion to it is the aspect of possible destruction a book but other people have made some good points about that not making much sense and probably doesn't occur often, if ever. 

Buy what you like personally. People collect everything from Pedigree copies to beat reader copies. If you enjoy it that's what matters. That being said I don't want people cutting books up like some other collectible fields have in the past and selling a square from Babe Ruth's jersey etc. If a book is in pieces and someone wants to slab a page that's up to them.

7 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

I agree. If a complete book has value (financial, rarity etc), and is in decent shape, no one sensible is going to take it apart. If it is a fairly common book in low grade with missing pieces / pages etc, then 'destroying' it is hardly the crime of the century. It's not as if there are not others in plentiful supply to represent it's complete existence.

There are many benefits to splitting up a book - the owner gets more money by breaking it up. He may need the money. More people get the chance to own a piece of history that would be financially out of their reach if complete. CGC gets work. The end graded product can be aesthetically pleasing.

Like Bomber-Bob, I didn't like the idea at first. If you love comics, pulling them apart is an alien concept at first glance. But once you've got over your purist self, it can actually be a good thing. And at the end of the day, it gets dark. Also, it's no ones business really but the owners and the buyers.

One related question from me. CGC legitimise the practice by grading single pages. Do those single pages add to the census count, e.g. there are 10,000 graded copies of AF #15, 500 of which are single pages (graded NG)? If so, one split up book could add 20 copies to the numbers. How does that part work?

I can see the market stemming from key books that are so undesirable in their current state that the only way to recoup or maximize profit is to sell the individual pages whose value may actually increase if it gives the growing mass of lower income collectors a shot at owning or a full copy over time.  I can't see this happening with anything above a PR or FR graded book with trimming or water damage.  However, if pages are starting to go for prices that when added all up exceed the value of a complete and decent reader copy, then we need to be very, very worried.

For example 2 CGC pages just sold on ebay last month.  One went for $300 for page 4 with an ad on the opposite side and another for $775 for page 1 and 2. At that rate you're looking at $3,000 to $9,000 for the Spider-man portion of AF15.  If that climbs while the prices for whole books do not...

0.5 incomplete sold for $7,350 in June

0.5 sold for $5000 in July

1.0 incomplete sold for $7,200 in July

1.5 sold for $12000 in June

All the qualified, restored, coverless, and non-SS books sold for far less and many didn't have a recorded GPA sale in over a year.  Could those be the sources of the pages if you're not seeing as high a turnover as you do with the unrestored version?  Is it that much harder to sell 2.0 and below for what you might get for individual pages when all added up?  Highest amount paid for a wrap on GPA is $1,625 (6th wrap)!

I hope this doesn't turn into baseball cards, where they've torn up so many Babe Ruth bats and uniforms for quick profit. I admit I used to collect those, but it just ain't right. Something like AF15 I could only possibly get a 0.5 or a qualified .5 (and that's at 'several years ago' prices. For those to vanish from the market would be pretty sad. Edit-- I guess somebody already brought that up.

Edited by Silver Ager

Depends on the page and the collector.

I wanted a Herb Trimpe and Len Wein signature and did not want it on a full comic (i.e., did not want to pay for a Hulk 180 or 181 signed by both of them) so I picked up the Wolverine Ad page from Dardevil signed by both for a very small sum - I think it looks great with my Hulk 180 and my future Hulk 181.

I would buy a page from Action 1, Tec 27 and maybe Cap 1 if the price was right (especially the Action 1 :) )

On 8/11/2017 at 7:14 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Don't like it. 

- If you're gonna collect a page from a comic book then get into OA:sumo:

- If you're gonna collect a single page does it really need to be CGC submitted?  Why not just buy a picture frame and display it(shrug)

***But I understand about the power of nostalgia(thumbsu

- Well, for an example.. say a Joker page from Batman 1. There's no way in hell I'll be able to afford the OA (even if it's out there at all, which I'm pretty sure isn't...?)

- In the case of our example Batman 1 page I would say the 2 reasons to have it/buy it slabbed is to be sure it's authentic and for protection. I've never bought the idea of slabbing a comic for protection, as I can triple board and mylar a book and I feel pretty comfortable with that.. However, with a delicate single old page where I can handle and see the front/back/whole thing a slab really does seem like a good idea.

- I know.. I have thought about that... people breaking up pages. That's a bridge too far for me. Haha. But as to whether something "should" be deemed worthless, that's all in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure there are people who would pay $1000 for a small authentic sliver off of the cover of Action Comics 1. Maybe not quite literally/exactly, but you get my meaning :)

Edited by TheAvenger80

I have no problem with people wanting these pages. Not sure it is something I would ever bother with myself.

As to the piecing out of a book--- some of those numbers presented seem to forget that not all the pages are going to be very desirable. A splash page from AF15 is going to get you more than some page full of ads or of another story line that is not Spider-man or Superman (Action 1 is mostly other stories including parts that are just text).

If I ever found myself owning a page or incomplete copy of a book that I wanted to display a particular page, I would not bother sending it to CGC-- just frame it up the way I want. It doesn't need verification. Maybe an Action 1 significant page might need authentication-- but not most books.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:39 AM, TheAvenger80 said:

Hey guys, I thought, while I was at it, that I would just make this an OFFICIAL THREAD (tongue somewhat in cheek!) to show off pages/incomplete books! 

Since it's a controversial topic... let's start with some controversy. :devil:

Superman kills a human as easy as throwing out the garbage.

0256676014_1200.jpg

0256676014b_1200.jpg

On 8/19/2017 at 3:39 PM, 01TheDude said:

Lois: When will I see you again?

SM: Who knows? Perhaps tomorrow -- perhaps never!

what a swell guy!

I like the front of that page, too.

Army guy:  You can't do this!  It's impossible!

Superman (doing it anyway): Thanks for letting me know.