• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL show us your PG/NG INCOMPLETE CGC pages thread!
3 3

86 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Blimey, where did you dig that post up from! :bigsmile:

Less than a page size has been graded before - some examples in this old thread I dug up, having been reminded of it by your post. I don't think I ever saw an answer to the question as it goes... 

Someone bumped the thread before me so I just decided to read back a few pages. 

Yeah I see you were quite persistent in the matter Marwood. Not letting go like a Bulldog not letting go of the mailman's leg xD!

As for having to submit the whole book for a page only submission, I called them regarding this & they said clearly that I should separate the page myself and send it in by itself as opposed to having them cut it out for me. 

As for panels only I'd think they wouldn't since it would be harder for them to verify authenticity.

For example I have a reprint copy of IH 180/181, the page numbers are different since there's no adverts but the individual panels & paper stock look very similar. I couldn't submit a whole page from the reprint since the page #'s don't match but a panel??? That's probably why they'd reject panels. Anyways why don't you just call them & ask?

Edited by MGsimba77

57 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Someone bumped the thread before me so I just decided to read back a few pages. 

Yeah I see you were quite persistent in the matter Marwood. Not letting go like a Bulldog not letting go of the mailman's leg xD!

I was just trying to get one of the experts to answer the question, as I recall. Turns out there wasn't one. Reading the thread, at least :D

As for having to submit the whole book for a page only submission, I called them regarding this & they said clearly that I should separate the page myself and send it in by itself as opposed to having them cut it out for me. 

So I pull a page out of a Golden Record Reprint and......

As for panels only I'd think they wouldn't since it would be harder for them to verify authenticity.

No different to a page, surely?

I posted an example of a possible pence ASM 1 recently with the price and date removed.  It was graded as a US copy. Costly mistakes are just waiting to happen. It's a threat to world stability.

For example I have a reprint copy of IH 180/181, the page numbers are different since there's no adverts but the individual panels & paper stock look very similar. I couldn't submit a whole page from the reprint since the page #'s don't match but a panel??? That's probably why they'd reject panels. Anyways why don't you just call them & ask?

I'm in England. It will cost me a bomb to ring them and I'm tight. And antisocial. Also, they have online question areas set up for tight antisocial people like me.  I used it, three times, and in each case they deleted it. The rotters. Very antisocial. 

Joking aside,  it's hard to get answers to simple questions sometimes. And there are examples where what has been said on the phone,  is not what happens in practice. 

Anyway, it's my Birthday, according to the little cake under my avatar.  I've just eaten enough Italian to sink a battleship and I need a mighty poop urgently. That's not relevant to grading bits and pieces of comics but it's the only way I can subtly mention that it's my birthday and point out that not one of you miserable lot noticed and sent me floods of good wishes. Very antisocial. 

25 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So I pull a page out of a Golden Record Reprint and......

Well obviously I haven't compared the two but there are probably subtle differences. Does the reprint have the same advertisements? The exact same "continued after next page" or the other occasional messages/upcoming issue advertisements on the bottom of the pages?

Anyhow I'll ring em up tomorrow on your on your behalf since I didn't know you were across the pond. I wanted to check my submission anyways. I'll see if I can get to the bottom of things bub 🔍🔦! Happy B-DAY 

9 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Well obviously I haven't compared the two but there are probably subtle differences. Does the reprint have the same advertisements? The exact same "continued after next page" or the other occasional messages/upcoming issue advertisements on the bottom of the pages?

Anyhow I'll ring em up tomorrow on your on your behalf since I didn't know you were across the pond. I wanted to check my submission anyways. I'll see if I can get to the bottom of things bub 🔍🔦! Happy B-DAY 

Ta. 

Seen this?

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

Not sure this fits with your advice on the phone to split and send in the page yourself:

ip.thumb.PNG.371d0f621a5dcfd18ead65c511ee6456.PNG

One other thing that's confusing about grading bits of comics, look at this AF15 (pence copy, yay!):

00177230805000112004190001.jpg

Blue label, centrefold missing. Now look at this from the earlier Label Descriptions link:

ng.thumb.PNG.37ae7449a3c0e6ef325019831982d8e3.PNG

If the AF15 is missing the centrefold, how is it not a 'NG' if the definition of a NG is 'missing the entire cover, or one half or more of the interior pages'?

It's not the end of the world, but I see a lot of inconsistency in this area. A blue label AF15 carries a financial premium, so if this is a mistake, it's a potentially costly one (to any eventual buyer). If that same AF15 had a dot of colour touch it would have a big screaming purple label. Missing the centrefold and a bit of a page? Blue label.

It's not a perfect world though, is it.

Looking at the GRR for ASM # 1 there's a clear difference between the splash pages:

GRR ASM#1:
1974992496_grrsplash.thumb.jpg.cf5cc5546f854c8cf98ec7abda9bc015.jpg

Real ASM#1:
1315413496_grrsplash-properasm1.thumb.jpg.d5fdee82864abb57e3b363205333863d.jpg

So as long as the grader is aware of that, they could grade accordingly, if you sent that page in (it's a nice iconic page, so I could see why someone would do it if there cover was missing / tatty). Not sure about the other pages though - I sold my GRR ages ago.

Here's the link to the pence copy scenario I mentioned:

I sent it to Brittany and she said she'd pass it on to the graders. So hopefully they build up a database of these things, what to look for etc

18 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not sure this fits with your advice on the phone to split and send in the page yourself:

ip.thumb.PNG.371d0f621a5dcfd18ead65c511ee6456.PNG

Ok here's what I was told:

CGC will not accept anything less than a full single page for PG label encapsulation. Half a page/three quarters whatever will be rejected. Especially a single panel!

You can either submit a single page for a PG label already removed or... send in the whole book & request that they remove the requested page or wrap themselves (although I wouldn't count on that)

NG label is whatever they can verify. Presumably the smaller the piece the harder it'll be for them to verify. So draw your own conclusion regarding a single panel. 

As for your example of AF15 blue label, it clearly fits with an NG description but I'm not sure there'd be much difference in value between a .5 & a NG in this case. If you can clearly read that centerfold is missing from the .5 book then would anyone really pay anymore for it than if label had same information but with NG as grade???

Edited by MGsimba77

4 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok here's what I was told:

CGC will not accept anything less than a full single page for encapsulation. Half a page/three quarters whatever will be rejected. Especially a single panel!

Action01CGCfc.jpg   

One of the few pages you'd make an exception for I suppose hm

You can either submit a single page or wrap for a PG label already removed or... send in the whole book & request that they remove the requested page or wrap themselves (although I wouldn't count on that)

The latter would make more sense - easier to confirm authenticity if you have more than the single page in question. 

As for your example of AF15 blue label, it clearly fits with an NG description but I'm not sure there'd be much difference in value between a .5 & a NG in this case. If you can clearly read that centerfold is missing from the .5 book then would anyone really pay anymore for it than if label had same information but with NG as grade???

Mebbe. Thanks for asking for us MG. I find it all quite interesting from a process point of view - what will and wont be done etc.  I thought a few more people might chip in given whats been posted so far, but it seems this area is of little interest to people. Maybe it's all been said before.

Thanks again mate :)

6 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Mebbe. Thanks for asking for us MG. I find it all quite interesting from a process point of view - what will and wont be done etc.  I thought a few more people might chip in given whats been posted so far, but it seems this area is of little interest to people. Maybe it's all been said before.

Thanks again mate :)

I find it interesting, but don't have anything I can add :foryou:

My experience with such is next to nil lol

But thanks Steve and thanks @MGsimba77

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You just did, simply by joining in Mark. Sometimes, it's just nice to know someone else is out there  (thumbsu

5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You just did, simply by joining in Mark. Sometimes, it's just nice to know someone else is out there  (thumbsu

Here is the only thing that I can add, I was at least happy that it had Stan Lee's SOAPBOX  :foryou:

20190201_155944.jpg

20190201_160026.jpg

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Here is the only thing that I can add, I was at least happy that it had Stan Lee's SOAPBOX  :foryou:

20190201_155944.jpg

20190201_160026.jpg

Be a laugh if the MVS had been cut :grin:

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Action01CGCfc.jpg   

One of the few pages you'd make an exception for I suppose hm

I had that in mind as l saw it before. Of course it's a different category since it's NG label. Partial pages for NG labels obviously allowed if verifiable. They did said they wouldn't accept a single panel though since they're harder to verify. Guess no one's all that into the PG/NG market to really have any interest (shrug)? Most of them are old TEC or early Superman pages priced to the moon! Too small a market

Edited by MGsimba77

On 8/11/2017 at 9:19 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Good point.

CGC have set a precedent by grading single pages. Would they grade half a page? A key first appearance panel?

A Marvel Value Stamp?

hm

Shockingly, a completed Marvel Value Stamp book is non-gradable but the blank Marvel Value Stamp book will be graded. I have seen them. Unusual way to grade them.

6 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Shockingly, a completed Marvel Value Stamp book is non-gradable but the blank Marvel Value Stamp book will be graded. I have seen them. Unusual way to grade them.

Probably right though. It would take ages to check every stamp and verify it's authenticity. Anyway, a completed MVS book needs to be seen and admired. It should never be entombed. Then again, you could say that about any comic really. Accept one with Byrne art. Entombing that would be a public service :grin: