• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting a distressed repro cover on a book seems shady...

21 posts in this topic

I don't know the seller, and they may have not been the person to put the cover on this one of Fantastic 3 (in fact my assumption is someone else did, sold it as original and the new owner is unfortunately trying to recoup losses after submitting it and getting the bad news)

Why else if you were putting a repro cover on would someone choose a worn repro image, and distress it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-FOX-FEATURES-FANTASTIC-COMICS-3-CLASSIC-LOU-FINE-ROBOT-COVER-CGC-0-5-OW-W-/162626154791?hash=item25dd463127:g:fnsAAOSw7cVZjKoP

s-l1600 (10).jpg

He has this for sale on Ebay as a BIN - don't recall the asking price though.  Considering it is slabbed and clearly labeled as a repro cover, if the seller had the resto done, I wouldn't think he was trying to deceive by then sending to CGC.  Perhaps someone else or perhaps just wanted to the cover to match the feel of the contents.

What got me more was the wrong back cover.  If you are going to repro the front, why not the correct back as well?  Seems like a dumb thing to do to stick the wrong back cover of the book.  Wonder what book the back came from - if it is even period of the Fantastic.

On 11/08/2017 at 5:45 PM, telerites said:

He has this for sale on Ebay as a BIN - don't recall the asking price though.  Considering it is slabbed and clearly labeled as a repro cover, if the seller had the resto done, I wouldn't think he was trying to deceive by then sending to CGC.  Perhaps someone else or perhaps just wanted to the cover to match the feel of the contents.

What got me more was the wrong back cover.  If you are going to repro the front, why not the correct back as well?  Seems like a dumb thing to do to stick the wrong back cover of the book.  Wonder what book the back came from - if it is even period of the Fantastic.

As far as I am aware, that is the correct back cover for this issue. (shrug)

10 hours ago, telerites said:

I was going by the CGC label note saying wrong back cover.  Maybe it was mislabeled.   

I agree, I think either it's a straight up CGC error OR they mean it doesn't match the front cover? But if that is the case why not say MARRIED BACK COVER? Either way, I'm pretty sure that is the correct back cover. perhaps someone with a copy could confirm? 

8 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

I agree, I think either it's a straight up CGC error OR they mean it doesn't match the front cover? But if that is the case why not say MARRIED BACK COVER? Either way, I'm pretty sure that is the correct back cover. perhaps someone with a copy could confirm? 

5 minutes ago, HRCostigan said:

Maybe the interior of the back cover is not a match?

That is what I was thinking on the interior of the back.  From the DCM, the back cover doers appear correct but looking at the tape on the slabbed copy, maybe married like Paul suggested.  Here are the scans from the DCM - 

59904badae02f_FantasticComics03_66-bc.thumb.jpg.0df93b52af1ec4f8f7124253ef436703.jpg59904bab2af93_FantasticComics03_65-ibc.thumb.jpg.e3651c43c8238500ead8c941aab5bd0b.jpg

This label is a story in its own right. What and where is the color touch? My point is that if it is a color photocopy, why even mention the color touch because we already know it's a photocopy. Or is the color touch inside the book? I'm confused.

3 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

This label is a story in its own right. What and where is the color touch? My point is that if it is a color photocopy, why even mention the color touch because we already know it's a photocopy. Or is the color touch inside the book? I'm confused.

The back cover is wrong on the interior, hence wrong bc

color touch likely on the pages 

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

The back cover is wrong on the interior, hence wrong bc

How do you know? There appears to be no picture posted on the auction page or are you assuming this must be the case, or do you have some insider info?

14 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

How do you know? There appears to be no picture posted on the auction page or are you assuming this must be the case, or do you have some insider info?

I'm "familiar" with the copy

several different images of the back cover for slabbed copies of this book on Heritage show Dept 507A Detroit Michigan at the bottom ad, whereas the ebay copy shows only Dept 507.  I didn't check any further into the back cover ads. 

10 hours ago, telerites said:

That is what I was thinking on the interior of the back.  From the DCM, the back cover doers appear correct but looking at the tape on the slabbed copy, maybe married like Paul suggested.  Here are the scans from the DCM - 

59904badae02f_FantasticComics03_66-bc.thumb.jpg.0df93b52af1ec4f8f7124253ef436703.jpg59904bab2af93_FantasticComics03_65-ibc.thumb.jpg.e3651c43c8238500ead8c941aab5bd0b.jpg

My copy, the Larson, has the coupon clipped out but otherwise is exactly the same as these two images.