• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2017
3 3

113 posts in this topic

This was probably my least favorite BCC since it’s inception. Perhaps “Boston Comic Con” is destined for the scrap heap, to be replaced by “Fan Expo,” with a focus on celebrity meet-and-greets and impulse-buy tchotchkes.

There were a lot less comic dealers than usual. I only made purchases from my regular go-to guys; other guys who set up either had more modern stuff or books priced to the moon way over FMV. One dealer had a nice batch of wall books, but with prices such as $1900 for a 1.8 TTA #27. Or you had guys with astronomical prices on low-to-midgrade run fillers in nasty old bags. You’ll see those at every show but here they were in overabundance.

There was no OA this year except for Ted who brought a few Kirby pages with him. No Anthony Snyder, no Bechara.

Overall it didn’t have the fun vibe it has had in the past.

I’m no fan of getting stuck in an aisle amidst a cosplay photo-op, but I have to say I was even disappointed in the amount of cosplay I saw this year! Maybe it was a layout issue and they were hanging out in the CosplayPen? Usually folks parade up and down the aisles and I’m snapping photos right and left as they walk past the booth; all I got this year was mostly from Saturday and have been posted already, maybe about a dozen.

On the plus side, I did see lots of women and young folks, always a good thing. Whether it will lead to long-term comic buying is another question.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

Speaking of questions, I didn’t field as many crazy ones as usual and was mostly reciting the prices of the two AF #15s that were available. The one that stuck with me was the fellow holding some generic ‘90s or beyond book who asked what size bags he needed.

Me: “For books like that, you’d want either Modern or Current sized bags.”

Him: “Which boards should I use?”

Me: “These boards designed to fit Modern or Current sized bags.”

Him: “What’s the disadvantage of using Silver boards?”

Me: “They won’t fit into the Modern or Current sized bags.”

Edited by Dick Pontoon

8 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Speaking of questions, I didn’t field as many crazy ones as usual and was mostly reciting the prices of the two AF #15s that were available. The one that stuck with me was the fellow holding some generic ‘90s or beyond book who asked what size bags he needed.

Me: “For books like that, you’d want either Modern or Current sized bags.”

Him: “Which boards should I use?”

Me: “These boards designed to fit Modern or Current sized bags.”

Him: “What’s the disadvantage of using Silver boards?”

Me: “They won’t fit into the Modern or Current sized bags.”

You should have just told him to fold the edges up, like a candy-bar bottom tray.

I picked up a few others I didn't scan, nothing exciting. Last year I came home with a huge stack, although being a bit more flush with mad money was also a factor. If anybody else would like to share their thoughts on the show, please chime in!

Edited by Dick Pontoon

The A/C was on consistently all weekend so the normal fanboy stench (a mixture of sweat, body odor, and stale morning breath) was down considerably from years past. Always a plus.

A minus is the ever rising costs of creator signature and sketch fees, and their intolerance for fans not buying their prints.

Jae Lee had a sign that explicitly stated: "$25 for sketchbook sketches". I laid out my sketchbook (note: an honest to goodness, not CGC witnessed sketchbook) and my $25. He replied, "Not sketching." Then why is there a sign, Jae? WHY IS THERE A SIGN.

Michael Dooney was cool.

I went on Friday and had an enjoyable time. I did like the separate sections based upon what you are there for. Spent my time in artist ally. The bathroom situation was insane but after the first time just went outside the floor to other bathrooms. I saw two booths selling bootleg videos and don't know how they allowed that at the show.

Only one artist that I approached didn't seemed interested in my business. It would have been nice if we got something from the show though instead of them trying to sell you it. Last year they gave a plastic bag to put some of your purchases in.