• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Skill Of A Comic Dealer
3 3

120 posts in this topic

Very honorable of you to give the dealer a finder's fee since others out there would feel that their badge cost covers "their" cost of setup.  

Of course very few "weekend warriors" who really are dealers would ever think of sharing those deals they buy at shows with the guy who got them in.

Edited by blazingbob

On 8/14/2017 at 5:08 PM, lizards2 said:

It doesn't harm the staples, but can sometimes separate/detach a staple from the cover of the book.

I'm pretty sure it was discussed here, but I still suck at the search function. 

60's DCs have very fragile staple placements, which is why you see so many DCs with blown staples.  Many issues are notorious for this (Batman 222). 

Jamming the micro-chamber directly between the covers and the interior pages is sometimes just enough to make the staples pop, especially if you then squeeze and flatten the book during encapsulation in the inner well. 

You can even do it with raw books in regular or Mylar sleeves.  I learned that lesson the hard way.

This is the first I'm hearing of this.

???

The microchamber paper is so thin I don't see the paper popping the staple. The staple would be more apt to pop from handling or pressure from handling or shipping than just microchamber paper IMO.

On 8/14/2017 at 10:35 PM, thirdgreenham said:
On 8/13/2017 at 6:04 PM, JohnFranklin said:

I've been meaning to pose this question for some time, the question follows after the description of what happened....A number of years ago I bought a raw comic from a well known dealer and I want to point out I have bought from this dealer since, so there is no beef here.  At the time, I had very little experience with grading so I asked the dealer about the comic's grade, they indicated a 9.4 and potentially a 9.6 on a good day.  I got the book graded and it came back an 8.0.  In general I wondered at that time if the dealer should have been closer on the grade, so my question is, should a dealer generally have reasonable grading skills?  Now perhaps this answers my own question, maybe the dealer's weak assessment was simply an anomaly.  Frankly to this day I am not sure what the real basis for the grade was and the grader's notes weren't conclusive.  The kicker is, I cracked the book out and re-submitted it and it came back a 7.5.........

Going from a 9.4 grade by the dealer to an 8.0 grade by CGC is truly unacceptable.  This is a well-known dealer? :facepalm: 

I mean, as @thehumantorch said, anyone can make a mistake or miss something, but overgrading by 4 grades (or 5 grades on a good day) is crazy.

If they don't have their grade estimate on the sticker, ask them what they feel the grade is.  Ask to see the book and you assess it for yourself.  Get a clue about grading before spending decent money with someone. 2c 

The bottom line is that if you want a CGC grade you need to buy CGC graded books.

12 hours ago, thirdgreenham said:

There are a few reasons that I can think of why a dealer doesn't put a grade on his stickers:

One reason is because CGC is not consistent themselves at times and even if you are a 'very good grader' you can end up with an unhappy customer if they don't get the CGC grade they want (and that you advertised)

Grading is not a science - everyone grades a little differently - even CGC has changed the way the grade certain defects over the years.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:
On 8/14/2017 at 2:08 PM, lizards2 said:

It doesn't harm the staples, but can sometimes separate/detach a staple from the cover of the book.

I'm pretty sure it was discussed here, but I still suck at the search function. 

60's DCs have very fragile staple placements, which is why you see so many DCs with blown staples.  Many issues are notorious for this (Batman 222). 

Jamming the micro-chamber directly between the covers and the interior pages is sometimes just enough to make the staples pop, especially if you then squeeze and flatten the book during encapsulation in the inner well. 

You can even do it with raw books in regular or Mylar sleeves.  I learned that lesson the hard way.

This is the first I'm hearing of this.

???

The microchamber paper is so thin I don't see the paper popping the staple. The staple would be more apt to pop from handling or pressure from handling or shipping than just microchamber paper IMO.

Micro-chamber paper is about the same thickness as a page of a comic.  You basically are on the right track - micro-chamber inserted next to covers + pressure of encapsulation + shipping rigors on encapsulated books = detached covers.

Like I mentioned, I've had this happen on raw books, and quite frankly, I've got a light hand.  Many DCs are basically "right there" as far as the staples popping, so it is no stretch for me to "imagine" that the added the thickness of micro-chamber at the proper pressure point could help that happen.

Maybe CGC could weigh in on this.  lol  Right...,

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The bottom line is that if you want a CGC grade you need to buy CGC graded books.

I would rather have Roy graded books.  At least I know what I'm getting, with no hidden surprises.

That's a sincere compliment, by the way.

52 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I would rather have Roy graded books.  At least I know what I'm getting, with no hidden surprises.

Watch it Roy,frankly,he's got 'light hands' 

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:
53 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Watch it Roy,frankly,he's got 'light hands' 

Love me some hippie love.   :shy:

7 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
15 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

The more I think about this, the more issue I take with "Guy #2" who called out the first guy.  

Seems to me, the lady was (would've been) fine with the original sale until #2 came along (probably butthurt that the collection got scooped before he could get it) and then proceeded to slam the first guy.    He's the real a-hole in the scenario, not the guy that bought the stuff.  

What? "One of the first people (Guy #2) asked for some advice, and the guy (Guy #1, the buyer) he trusted with this information moved in on the collection himself."

Yeah, I misread what CW wrote/meant there.  Re-reading it, it seems that "Guy 2" is the one that tipped "Guy 1" to the collection.   I read it as there were multiple parties contacted for advice and one guy nabbed it.   I'll go back and edit my original (quoted) statement.    

5 hours ago, lizards2 said:
7 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Thanks. (worship)

My kudos thread in case you need it. :baiting:

Edited by VintageComics

23 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Bob,  as a dealer I would much rather gauge a dealer's grading ability with them putting a grade on the sticker versus a price.  And no it does not take the argument of grade out of the equation because it requires you to look up the price and guess what he graded it.  VG is $10,  you have $50,  did you grade it a VF?  

The onus of grading should never rest solely on the buyer.  If you are behind a table with books for sale,  signs,  business cards, instagram account,  website you are a dealer and should stand behind your grading ability.  There is no "Weekend Warrior Dealer" free pass on this.  You should be open to being asked who taught you how to grade.    

At a show once I asked a dealer what grade one of his wallbook semi-keys (AV57 IIRC) was that he was selling. He said, literally, "It's what the price says".  I never asked him to take it down, just walked away.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
7 hours ago, lizards2 said:
10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Thanks. (worship)

My kudos thread in case you need it. :baiting:

No one looks at that BS forum/thread except for those whom the individual thread is for...., lol

Edited by lizards2

17 minutes ago, jcjames said:

At a show once I asked a dealer what grade one of his wallbook semi-keys (AV57 IIRC) was that he was selling. He said, literally, "It's what the price says".  I never asked him to take it down, just walked away.

If I know this type of character, it was probably double whatever FMV was at the time.

8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

:frown:

Just now, greggy said:
8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

How many decades ago did you sell here?

34 minutes ago, greggy said:

I seem to remember getting books from you with a backing board in the middle of the book.

Was that you?

Just now, VintageComics said:

I seem to remember getting books from you with a backing board in the middle of the book.

Was that you?

There was a seller on Granville that used to put the board in the middle of the book every time.  Perhaps greggy just left it there....

13 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Was that you?

Probably

Just now, greggy said:
14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Was that you?

Probably

It was a Superman #233 and one other book. Can't remember right now what it was.

Check your records and get back to me.