• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 6 Results
1 1

45 posts in this topic

2017 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 6 (of 10) Results

BK 11:  Amazing Spider-Man #135 Off-White pages - Actual Grade: 7.5

BK 12: Incredible Hulk #102 Off-White to White pages - Actual Grade: 8.0 

Round 6 Grade Breakdowns

Round-6-Breakdowns.gif

2017 Grading Contest: Round 6 Results - Leader Board

Round-6-Leaders.gif

Grading Contest Books:
01. Crimes by Women #3 (Superior)
02. Amazing Spider-man #129  (Marvel)
03. Western Thrillers #1 (Fox Features Synd.)
04. Astonishing Tales #25 (Marvel)
05. True Aviation Comics Digest #1 (Parents' Magazine Inst.)
06. Baloo and Little Britches #1 (Gold Key)
07. Star Wars #107 (Marvel)
08. Strange Adventures #50 (DC)
09. Jo-Jo Comics #7 (Fox Features Syndicate)
10. Gay Comics #31 (Timely Comics)
11. Amazing Spider-Man #135 (Marvel)
12. Incredible Hulk #102 (Marvel)

Edited by sckao

Round 6 COMMENTARY

(Feel free to submit your own. :headbang:)

Point Five wins Round 6 and the Internet today. 'Nuff Said. :sumo:

Congrats to toro for grabbing the tournament lead and moving into sole possession of First Place. (worship)

Only four rounds remain... Time is now running out for you to make your move.

The Mathematically Eliminated Line is about to claim its first victim. :eek: :jaws:

Don't let it be you. Stay above it! 

Your luck will change in ROUND 7! :wishluck:  :eyeroll:

Edited by sckao

7 minutes ago, sckao said:

Round 6 COMMENTARY

(Feel free to submit your own. :headbang:)

Round 6....a nightmare for most. :fear:

From the depths of the river of lava flowing throughout the land, one person rose up, with the correct grades hurriedly scratched upon a small piece of paper.  He held it high above the fiery water for all to see. It was his proof, his right to 10 points. While his very name hints towards lowliness, his actions show differently.  Take a bow, Point Five. :applause: 

More congratulations are in order, and to top this list, we cannot forget the gent at the top of our list, toro. First place, once again, young man. Let's see if you can hold it. (thumbsu 

With a tricky ASM, points were few and far between.  If you got 4 points or better in this round, you did incredibly.

Round 7 is next.  Don't get comfortable or lazy.  Collect these points as you would little gold coins.  Collect as many as you can, as the end is nearly in sight. 

1 minute ago, thirdgreenham said:

Round 6....a nightmare for most. :fear:

From the depths of the river of lava flowing throughout the land, one person rose up, with the correct grades hurriedly scratched upon a small piece of paper.  He held it high above the fiery water for all to see. It was his proof, his right to 10 points. While his very name hints towards lowliness, his actions show differently.  Take a bow, Point Five. :applause:

:roflmao:  Love it! Thanks Andy and Shin.

I thought the Star Wars 107 was tricksy... boy oh boy was I wrong! Just curious, is it known what was going on with that ASM?? It presented incredibly strong. Was there a stain(s) on the dark parts of the cover?

3 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I thought the Star Wars 107 was tricksy... boy oh boy was I wrong! Just curious, is it known what was going on with that ASM?? It presented incredibly strong. Was there a stain(s) on the dark parts of the cover?

Multiple creases bottom right front cover. Plus ticks, etc. 

10 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Boy am I going down in flames.:flamed:

You and me are on the same trajectory - down down down.  We started out so well.

We ran the race and the race was won by grading slowly. Could be soon we'll cease to grade. Slowly upstairs, faster down.

Oh dear, I failed to see all those defects on the ASM and overgraded wildly again. Much closer on the Hulk but again undergraded by one increment. There's a pattern emerging, a pattern of ineptitude. :(

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

We ran the race and the race was won by grading slowly. Could be soon we'll cease to grade. Slowly upstairs, faster down.

Oh dear, I failed to see all those defects on the ASM and overgraded wildly again. Much closer on the Hulk but again undergraded by one increment. There's a pattern emerging, a pattern of ineptitude. :(

I don't think anyone should beat themselves up too much about their grading skills when it comes to this contest. The access limitations during the grading process are fair to all but also so restrictive that no one  can be expected to be spot on when it comes to slight problems. If you had this book in hand, you would most likely be able to see the flaws, however hidden, much more easily. So we are comparing ourselves to grading experts who FULL access to an item while get to see pictures through plastic.

Now I understand that is part of the fun of this contest--- I just mention it because some are expressing such frustration as if they should be expected to have perfect information to evaluate. We don't. One comparison to fun house mirrors seemed a little more appropriate-- and by no means is this a request that anything change, the contest as it stands is awesome.

Just have fun. That ASM book spanked me/many hard-- not sure if I spent enough time looking at the large scan but I was having serious trouble seeing the CB crease pointed out with a big red circle around it. I might go back and review that large scan a little more intensely.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound frustrated (I just like Jethro Tull) :p . I'm loving the contest, I think it's the most fun you can legally have on this forum. And as it's my first time I have no aspirations in winning, just glad to be taking part.

It is difficult trying to grade through plastic though but at least it's a level playing field.

2 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I won't give up, but it sure is disheartening to my delicate ego.:roflmao:

Do you and Kav have the exact same grades (at least the exact same scores) thru 6 rounds?  Id think Kav would decide to stop copying off of your tests at this point.

Edited by 1Cool

This round was just strange.  My wife wanted to look at the scans after I've been talking about my successes (and failures).  I had the ASM as a 9.2 since I thought the creases were scratches on the case.  She looked it over and thought the lines were creases and she dropped it to a 8.0.  The hulk I had as a 7.0 since the hulk definitely was a full grade lower then the ASM even if the creases existed and it really looked like some of the 7.0 I've gotten back.  Wife thought the scuff would be hit hard so she lobbied for a 6.5.  I decided to use her grades (8.0 and 6.5) over my (9.2 and 7.0) and her scores netted 2 points where as mine would have been a zero.  Next year I will just have her grade the books separately and watch her kick my butt.