• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cracking comics out of cgc containers
1 1

24 posts in this topic

1. Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the cracking open a CBC container/comic and putting it in a bag ???   Does anyone over the age of 12 years really want to actually read a comic book? They're written for KIDS. If you really want to read it buy a reprint! 

3 hours ago, stolon 5 said:
  1. Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the cracking open a CBC container/comic and putting it in a bag ???   Does anyone over the age of 12 years really want to actually read a comic book? They're written for KIDS. If you really want to read it buy a reprint! 

1.    lol  That always makes me laugh. Thank goodness one of the adults found us little kids hiding here just waiting to be asked intelligent questions about our hobby.

a) On a Monday no less.

XVI) Thank you!

MXCVII) Because it is better than smoking crack ( although not necessarily plastic crack.)

3. Cracking is the logical adult version of reading and reading is bad( at least for us kids).

1a. What is a CBC? Complete Blood Count???

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

35 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

What if your newly graded 9.8 is moving around in the holder and you're a'scared it'll soon be an 8.5 in a 9.8's clothing?

Absolutely. I've removed many a book from it's slab solely because I didn't like the way it was encapsulated and feared damage. I've also removed books because the slab itself was beat up, lots of scratches. One time there was a hair inside the inner well, drove me nuts, I had to crack it.

12 hours ago, stolon 5 said:

All fun aside....
People will crack open slabbed books for a variety of reasons:
1) They don't like their comic books sealed in a plastic tomb for various reasons but they got the book at a great price so they want it freed and in a space saving bag and board 
2) They want to get a creator or celebrity to sign the book
3) They dislike the grade and it makes them angry every time they look at it because it deserved a higher grade.
4) They are going to have the book cleaned, pressed and regraded in search of a higher grade. 

There are probably more reasons, but the above come immediately to mind. 

Welcome to the boards. 

How about enjoying reading the story for the childhood memories it does provide you? Or enjoying looking at the inside art? Or enjoying smelling the old comic? or just enjoying putting the book in a Mylar because most of your books are already presented like that?

Sure if you want to re-sell you better keep it in a slab but if it is for my personal collection, I love to crack :luhv:

On 8/14/2017 at 3:53 AM, stolon 5 said:

I sure am glad you came along to make me realize what a child I really am. Oh thank you kind sir for the enlightenment you have provided me. meh

Many thanks for the feedback. Let me see if l've got this right. A chap wants a certain comic in a high grade, but is unable to find one in a raw state. So for 'peace of mind '  he buys an slabbed issue with a stated high grade -- paying a premium price. Then he breaks the comic out of the case in order to touch it, read it, sniff it! But by doing this he instantly devalues and probably also De-grades it

I just don't get it, maybe because I'm English, but I just don't get it

40 minutes ago, stolon 5 said:

Many thanks for the feedback. Let me see if l've got this right. A chap wants a certain comic in a high grade, but is unable to find one in a raw state. So for 'peace of mind '  he buys an slabbed issue with a stated high grade -- paying a premium price. Then he breaks the comic out of the case in order to touch it, read it, sniff it! But by doing this he instantly devalues and probably also De-grades it

This is all you took from our responses ? You single out one questionable reason to debate and make a broad stroke ridicule.  What is your objective in this conversation ? I trust this is all tongue in cheek .

19 minutes ago, stolon 5 said:

There is no assumption that the book is not available in high grade raw. To a collector there are multiplicative differences in a sample of a comic. Even at a given grade. It is their own property they can do what they choose. The piece of mind that one might gain from buying a slabbed book is in that a professional  has given the book a grade. It eliminates the difference of opinion in a raw grade thus it should indeed induce some sort of premium to the book. Justly so. In most instances it will facilitate a sale.

Now that premium price you refer to may very well not be all that much money truthfully . If a collector submits books often it can be as little as a few dollars. At most a few percent of an increase in price would that premium amount to . Certainly not multiples of an increase in price will the pro-grade bring to the book in question. Vice versa in the devaluing. Not to mention that if it is a "hot" book then the short term increase in value will likely off set the "loss of the premium increase in price" from cracking.

Further there is no need to physically degrade the book by cracking it out-if done carefully and correctly.  So if no damage is done the book could very well be re-submitted and receive the same grade( or possible even better, although not likely I will grant you that) .

But at this point it just feels like we are slinging rhetoric . :baiting:

Jolly good.;)

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is all you took from our responses ? You single out one questionable reason to debate and make a broad stroke ridicule.  What is your objective in this conversation ? I trust this is all tongue in cheek .

I have to wonder why he's on this forum in the first place. (shrug)

On 14/8/2017 at 0:53 PM, stolon 5 said:

Yo been smokin crack ...?

I have cracked books out of slabs because:

1. the buyer wanted to own a raw book

2. the book was being damaged inside the slab

3. the slab is cracked, broken, scuffed, in any way damaged and does not present well

4. I bought the slab to guarantee the book had no restoration and to be close to the grade range I want, but the rest of my collection is raw.

5. the submission came back restored, qualified and I KNOW the book should be blue label!

6. my signature series submission came back qualified because the paper work was misplaced