• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hollywood heads for its worst summer box office in a decade
1 1

64 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

#1: Not only Cruise, but distractingly directed by Brian DePalma (twist after twist, set piece after set piece, but more Snake Eyes than Dressed to Kill.) Still interesting way to start out a "team" franchise. **1/2 out of four stars

#2: Not only Cruise, but distractingly directed by John Woo (stunt after stunt, set piece after set piece, but more Paycheck than The Killer.) I accepted Hard Target and Face/Off, but it's one dove short of interesting. Practically unwatchable now, unless you are into 2nd unit stuntwork and endless wirework. ** stars out of four.

#3: WOW! JJ Abrams figured out a way to save the series and make it feel personal for the characters. A vast improvement. *** out of four stars.

#4: I dragged my feet on this one as I hate Tom Cruise, but somehow it improves the formula of #3 and adds more characters. Now becoming better than most of the Modern Bond movies. ***1/2 out of four.

#5: The best one to date. The series has now comfortably stabilized into an expected satisfying movie experience. My only complaint would be I wish they kept Paula Patton from #4. Alec Baldwin's initially one-note character walked a way with the movie at the end. ***1/2 out of four.

By now, a great team is assembled and I hope it continues into #6.

Excellent synopsis.

But I think it under-rates III. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Felicity for the win.

Brilliant film, but unfortunately released right after Cruise's Oprah couch-jumping. So Paramount head Sumner Redstone blames Cruise for costing it $100 million at the box office and fires Cruise from Paramount.

So Cruise turns around and buys United Artists instead. :golfclap:

21 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Excellent synopsis.

But I think it under-rates III. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Felicity for the win.

It definitely needed more Kerri Russell!

But, I admit Philip Seymour Hoffman's villain is the series' best so far. (worship) 

Who would have thunk after Magnolia these would have that much chemistry.

Michelle Monahan turned a thankless "damsel role" into a credible one in an instant, during the climax.

A great entry to the series compared to #2 (slo-mo, explosion, wire-work, explosion, repeat.) lol 

The slump continues! :whatthe:

Box-office eclipse: Hollywood has worst weekend in 16 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/08/27/box-office-hollywood-has-worst-weekend-16-years/606177001/

Hollywood effectively took the weekend off, resulting in one of the most dismal box-office results in 16 years.

An already slow August came to a screeching halt at the multiplex, where no major new releases were unveiled. That left the Samuel L. Jackson-Ryan Reynolds action-comedy The Hitman's Bodyguard to top all films for the second week, with an estimated $10.1 million in ticket sales.

But the entire slate of films grossed only about $65 million in North America and the top 12 films generated just $49.6 million. There have been similarly slow weekends in recent years, including early September in 2014 and in 2016. But not since September 2001 have the numbers been quite so dreadful.